Powertrain Fault

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ucdscott

We have a 2015 FFE.

Last night after driving approx. 20 miles, parking in our garage, and turning the car off, we received a Powertrain Fault (orange wrench icon).

The dash and instrumentation will power on but the car will not run (cannot get the green car icon). Coincidentally? the 12 volt battery died overnight, I charged it to 12+ volts, and it almost immediately dropped back to 6+ volts.

I need to change the 12 volt battery; that much is obvious but how do I clear the Powertrain Fault error?

Also, how do I access the Warnings listed on the dash. I'm not able to select them using the left navigation paddle on the steering wheel:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6z9cgmziwydukym/4%20Warnings%20Dash.JPG?dl=0

Appreciate guidance anyone can provide.

I have a feeling the power train fault will clear when the 12V is disconnected. Pretty sure you need to pull the DTCs from the OBD port, never seen any verbose reading of fault codes in the dash screens.

The Powertrain Fault did not clear after replacing the 12 volt battery.

Can anyone confirm a ODB scanner that works with the 2015 FFE? The ThinkODB 100 I have states “communication error.”

The most common setup seems to be something like an OBDLink MX or similar, plugged into the lower OBD port, and queried with ForScan on a laptop or mobile phone.

The Focus uses both high speed and medium speed CAN busses and you'll want a reader that can use both.

I use the above reader and an Android phone regularly - there's an option to see all the current DTCs, clear them and initiate self tests of every module.

If you want to pull a large amount of data in real time, you might consider a hardwire or wifi based OBD reader instead of Bluetooth.

FORScan was able to read and clear numerous errors/warnings.

Insane (but not surprising) that a Ford won’t run without professional intervention if the 12 volt battery dies. This is my 2nd Ford; I’ve put a clause our family trust that cuts off any descendant that buys one of these garbage vehicles.

Back