AT&T sunset and MyFordMobile app

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, I have a 2013 FFE and from what I've gathered so far on this helpful thread is that come Feb I'm basically going to be SOL for any use from the MyFord Mobile app. I got it used in 2017 and the 3G replacement has been done by my local dealership. Pretty sure it is using the old Sync system then.

My question if anyone knows is will I need to disable something in my car manually in order for it to not keep searching for updates from the cell tower which it will never find? I would think if I left it as is this would run down the 12v battery but I don't know for sure.

Been lurking on this board awhile now for tips and info.
Thanks if anyone knows for sure

You shouldn't have to change anything.

BUT - it seems you should be able to buy the LTE modem if you want. I'm about to start the process for my 2012 and once I confirm it's worked I'll be sharing more details.

Anti_Climax said:
You shouldn't have to change anything.

BUT - it seems you should be able to buy the LTE modem if you want. I'm about to start the process for my 2012 and once I confirm it's worked I'll be sharing more details.

Thank you. I spoke with the service advisor at my dealer back when I did my state inspection in Oct and he couldn't find anything.

gilmore950 said:
Hi all, I have a 2013 FFE and from what I've gathered so far on this helpful thread is that come Feb I'm basically going to be SOL for any use from the MyFord Mobile app. I got it used in 2017 and the 3G replacement has been done by my local dealership. Pretty sure it is using the old Sync system then.

My question if anyone knows is will I need to disable something in my car manually in order for it to not keep searching for updates from the cell tower which it will never find? I would think if I left it as is this would run down the 12v battery but I don't know for sure.

Sorry, very new to all this and I'm not 100% on what has been done to upgrade my 2013 FFE. I currently use the MyFordMobile app to check charging status, tire pressure, etc., and received a notification from the app today that I was going to lose functionality. I never received a letter from Ford about this upgrade program, but in calling my dealer they said it fell outside the replacement program. Is that because my car was built with 2G capability? If I'm currently using the MyFordMobile app, does that mean that I received a 3G TCU upgrade at some point?

My dealer was confused and said they can't order the 4G TCU replacement for me because I'm not eligible for the upgrade. Was this an error on there part, or is there some workaround where I can get a dealer to order a 4G replacement and install it for me? I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount since I rely on the MyFordMobile app fairly heavily and would like to retain some functionality even if it means switching to FordPass. I see some mention of Sync, and am not even sure which Sync I have (2.0, 3.0, etc.), but will that affect functionality going forward, making the 4G upgrade moot?

I would appreciate any advice or recommendations anyone has on this.

alecvill said:
gilmore950 said:

Sorry, very new to all this and I'm not 100% on what has been done to upgrade my 2013 FFE. I currently use the MyFordMobile app to check charging status, tire pressure, etc., and received a notification from the app today that I was going to lose functionality. I never received a letter from Ford about this upgrade program, but in calling my dealer they said it fell outside the replacement program. Is that because my car was built with 2G capability? If I'm currently using the MyFordMobile app, does that mean that I received a 3G TCU upgrade at some point?

My dealer was confused and said they can't order the 4G TCU replacement for me because I'm not eligible for the upgrade. Was this an error on there part, or is there some workaround where I can get a dealer to order a 4G replacement and install it for me? I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount since I rely on the MyFordMobile app fairly heavily and would like to retain some functionality even if it means switching to FordPass. I see some mention of Sync, and am not even sure which Sync I have (2.0, 3.0, etc.), but will that affect functionality going forward, making the 4G upgrade moot?

I would appreciate any advice or recommendations anyone has on this.

I confirmed with my dealer that they could get the part to upgrade me to 4G and perform the install. My only remaining concern is whether this will work with FordPass, or whether MyFordMobile will continue to work. I currently have Sync 2 and wondering if I should pay for a Sync 3 upgrade too. I called Ford who said that 3G was being phased out but that the phone wireless connectivity would still work. When I asked how, they had no idea. I don't know what is going on there, so if anyone has some insight, that would be helpful.

AT&T is decommissioning their 3G network that our cars use. You should have gotten a notification in MFM that MFM will cease to function with the decommissioning of the 3G network. The 4G modems use the my ford pass app. From what I hear not all MFM functionality is available in the my ford pass app read thru earlier posts for details.

The only way to disable the modem is to pull the F1 fuse (bottom most toward the front of the car) in the rear hatch fuse block. You will also lose go times and value charge capability as this functionality relies on the the TCU which is the module that contains the modem.

I am hoping that within a short time, Ford realizes that the cost of the modem is a bit stiff, and the price comes down. I like the features that MFM provides, but I suspect that even though the Mach E, Etransit, and F-150 Lightning would benefit from the unique capabilities of MFM, it will be a while before FordPass has that functionality. Maybe then the modem price will be less. Dunno. Just sad to see MFM going away.

Heima said:
I am hoping that within a short time, Ford realizes that the cost of the modem is a bit stiff, and the price comes down. I like the features that MFM provides, but I suspect that even though the Mach E, Etransit, and F-150 Lightning would benefit from the unique capabilities of MFM, it will be a while before FordPass has that functionality. Maybe then the modem price will be less. Dunno. Just sad to see MFM going away.

The program expires in March I think. So I'm not confident the price will come down.

It has been more than a month since the modem was updated in my '16 FFE and it still does not work. I have had an open case with Ford Pass for several weeks now with no resolution. So, even though I did not pay for the upgrade, I essentially ended the my ford mobile service two months earlier than it would have happened with the termination of the 3G service. I will update if and when I get a resolution.

a4bry4 said:
It has been more than a month since the modem was updated in my '16 FFE and it still does not work. I have had an open case with Ford Pass for several weeks now with no resolution. So, even though I did not pay for the upgrade, I essentially ended the my ford mobile service two months earlier than it would have happened with the termination of the 3G service. I will update if and when I get a resolution.

PLEASE tell us how you got the upgrade for free.

scottt said:
PLEASE tell us how you got the upgrade for free.

The FFE came with 5 years of service. Ford is contractually obligated to provide the service for this period so they must provide the 4G modem to those who have not reached 5 years yet. That is how it is free for some. There was a FSA specifying who is eligible for the free 4G modems. I don't remember what it is off the top of my head but I'm sure you could find it on this forum or by using google.

The FFE came with 5 years of service. Ford is contractually obligated to provide the service for this period so they must provide the 4G modem to those who have not reached 5 years yet. That is how it is free for some. There was a FSA specifying who is eligible for the free 4G modems. I don't remember what it is off the top of my head but I'm sure you could find it on this forum or by using google.

While I would like to believe this is the case, I do not think it is true. Mine is a 2017, but it was first sold in May of 2018. Yet the letter I got says I gotta pay up for the modem. I haven't asked the dealer, because why they would tell the truth and pass up an opportunity to pocket $300-$400 courtesy sucker me and Ford?

I will try to get in touch with Ford on Monday, maybe ask to speak with Mr. David J Johnson. As it might, "might", help. Now to find that FSA.

I just found this:
SSM 50257 - 2014-2020 Various Vehicles - MyFord Mobile and MyLincoln
Mobile App Functionality Concerns - 3G Cellular Network Decommission
Various 2014-2020 vehicles equipped with a 3G modem may experience a lack of 3Gmodem
performance. This may be due to the 3G cellular service functionality being decommissioned starting
August 2021 and through March 2022. As the 3G cellular service is decommissioned, vehicles
equipped with the 3G telematics control unit (TCU) will lose MyFord Mobile and MyLincoln Mobile
app functionality/connectivity. Repair or Replacement of the TCU should no longer be performed
using existing service stock. Replacement of the 3G TCU for this concern will result in programming
concerns and repairs should not be performed. The customer can pay to upgrade their 3G modem
with a 4G modem by following the information in FSA 21B09.Refer to FSA 21B09 for reference and
not for claiming.
APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2014 - 2020 CAR: C7 CD391N FUSION
2014 - 2017 CAR: CG C344N C-MAX
2016 - 2018 CAR: DH C346N FOCUS
2015 - 2017 CAR: C9 CD533N MKZ
2015 - 2017 CAR: C9 CD533N MKZ
2015 - 2017 TRUCK: ME C489N MKC
2017 CAR: PL D544N CONTINENTAL
2016 - 2017 CAR: D9 U540N MKX

So if your TCU were to fail today under warranty, you would get the newer 4G version as part of the warranty repairs. Hmmm....

Looks Like Ford is giving the middle finger and not providing the 5 years of MFM as purchased with the car for those still within the 5 year service period of when they bought their car.

How generous of Ford to pay for labor to install and program the TCU that the owner must buy to use the remainder of their 5 year service included with the purchase of the car. /S

If you are not within your first 5 years you can pay for both the new TCU and the installation labor.

from the text of FSA 21B09: found at: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10204043-0001.pdf

"This program will be in effect through May 31, 2022. There is no mileage limit for this program.
NOTE: Owners within the complimentary trial period may purchase the 4G upgrade kit and 21B09
covers labor/installation.
NOTE: Owners outside of the complimentary trial period (VINs not under the 21B09 program) have
the option to pay for both the labor and cost to purchase the 4G upgrade kit.
"

"NOTE for Focus Electric Owners Only: Certain charge scheduling functionality (Preferred Charge
Times) through the FordPassTM App is not available at this time, however it is expected to be available
with an over the air update by Summer 2022
"

I wish there was a way to physically disable the cellular part of the TCU and leave the GO-time part functional. My TCU randomly draws excess power and occasionally kills the 12V battery when the car is "off."

By doing a bunch of research, I found that for my 2017, this is the TCU and here are some internal photos. Its a single board solution, with a virtual SIM.
https://fccid.io/AX2JE5030/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-Host-2224170

I noticed that in this program, ICE Focus are not covered. Is that because there is a different program for ICE Focus? Or ICE Focus already have a 4G Modem? If the latter, can an ICE Focus modem be configured to an FFE? Or not because MFM is irrelevant for an ICE Focus?

Anti_Climax said:
So, the AsBuilt data for my TCU has only one line in it

Label 754-01-01 shows A782 and 86

The AsBuilt file from Ford for my car shows

<DATA LABEL="754-01-01">
<CODE>3000</CODE>
<CODE>0000</CODE>
<CODE>008D</CODE>

Thanks bud!

Anti_Climax said:
So, a couple years back I reached out to Ford and asked for a copy of my MFM user data. It's a legal requirement in California and Europe, so they had the facility for it. I did not live in either place BUT their T&C explicitly said I had to right to a copy of that data on demand without any qualification.

Despite being in the T&Cs most reps I talked to told me it was not possible, so I really made a pain of myself - reached out to the AZ and MI attorneys general noting the failure to abide by their own T&Cs and eventually got contacted by someone who understood what was going on and got that request fulfilled. He also told me that it should be possible to do that through the normal support channels now, though I haven't tried since.

Since my case was very MFM-centric I reached out to him for this, noting that my car is outside the date range but that it has the newer SYNC that the update is targeting. What follows is not confirmed or binding in any way and may change as things develop.

From what I can tell so far it should be possible to buy the modem BUT there is a possibility that the programming for it would be tied to the VIN on the back end, meaning any vehicle that is not explicitly added to the upgrade list would likely not be able to use that new TCU even if it gets programmed to the car.

If I'm somehow able to get my car added to that list (as it has SYNC 3) I will be sure to ask about the possibility for others to be added as well. No idea what the response will be and I can pretty much guarantee it would not be offered to anyone that still runs SYNC 2

Out of curiosity, how many US based pre-2016 Foci on this board have installed a SYNC 3 upgrade?

2013 FFE upgraded to Sync 3!

So, I just worked up the resolve to pull all that paneling out to get to my current TCU.

It's got a label with the IMEI and a part number of GM5T-14G087-AC with two stickers stacked on it with -AD and -AF on there.

The SIM ICCID starts with 890117 which I know to be AT&T's.

JE-5035, FCCID is AX2JE5030 with IC 419C-JE5030, Manufactured April 2016

From my contact:
******* Ford (or whatever dealer you want to work with) should be able to order the kit for you through the process that is provided in the 21B09 Customer Satisfaction Program Dealer Bulletin. I know you mentioned earlier they said they would need to call to get authorization, which is true for many of our programs like this, but for this one they can place an order without making a call. You can let them know that you spoke with the customer assistance center and they confirmed it should be possible to place the order through the 1878 system even if your vehicle is an earlier model year than listed in the program. If they say they run in to an issue while trying to complete the order let me know who you are working with at the dealer and I can have one of our teams engage directly with them to work through obtaining the kit for you.

Looks like the dealer may need the engineering part number from your current modem as part of the process to place the order, and they would need to return that original modem after your kit arrives, or would be charged a core charge in addition to the cost of the kit. I assume the dealer would not have an issue with you keeping the original modem if you are willing to also pay the core charge (I am not sure what that amount is, so the dealer would need to let you know).

Even if Ford can't do what they need to make this work like normal, the guy that sold me my Sync 3 setup was able to assign one of these newer modems to a random '13 he setup on his simulator and saw the same (more limited) EV menus. Minus some stuff since his simulator did not have any of the battery components to pass data.

Popped open the cover, it's got the HE920-NA, IC 5131A-HE920NA FCC ID RI7HE920NA

Matches what was posted before https://fccid.io/AX2JE5030/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-Host-2224170

Called in the modem upgrade yesterday. Should hear back today if it's likely to be a quick shipment or a wait.

For others, if you decide to call it in, I was advised "it should be possible to place the order through the 1878 system even if your vehicle is an earlier model year than listed in the [21B09 customer satisfaction] program".

Once I have mine and confirm how it behaves without support, others might decide to do the same. They did want the last 8 characters of my VIN, in my case 2 letters and 6 numbers.

Edit: Friday or Monday. $300 core fee - I don't need a dead 3G modem that much. They can remanufacture it to resell in Mexico or Canada if they want it that bad.

Just tried to get the 4G upgrade kit ordered from my Ford dealer for my 2012 and 2013 FFEs. The tech is scratching his head over this (they do this a lot when it comes to servicing my EVs). He tells me there is only an upgrade for 2015 and later Fords.

So, what am I to do? It has been great using MFM to keep track of my car. If Ford can't get me an upgrade I may have to hack something together myself.

I don't understand - it's supposedly just a change in cellular networks. Why WOULDN'T a 4G modem work just as well as a 3G modem in my 2012 and 2013? I suspect my tech may have to "color outside the lines" a bit if I hope to keep my connectivity. Any coaching anyone can give me to pass along to him would be helpful.

Thanks!

Back