Battery maintenance while plugged in but not charging

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seethatdotca

Hi, I'm new to this website, I just bought a Focus EV.

It's cold outside right now and the car displayed a message saying it should be plugged in. I have my "value charge" selected so my question is, does the car actually maintain the battery while it's plugged in, but doesn't actually charge (since it's not during my value charge period)?

If it doesn't maintain the battery, then I might as well just unplug it, right?

Thank you.

What I found in Arizona was that setting value charge would prevent all power draw so conditioning would not occur.

I would have loved for it to chill the battery even if it wasn't charging but the battery temp being low or high should not be a problem while it's not actually charging/discharging, so I wouldn't worry about it.

When it does start charging it will run the compressor if the battery is over 97F and it will run a battery heater if it's below (I think) 50F.

If I ever find a command that stops charging but lets the rest of the system stay online I'll be sure to pass it along.

Thank you for the information. I wonder if it would hurt the battery if it's not plugged in. I want to avoid having to plug the battery all the time during the winter.

How cold is the battery actually getting? I don't believe there is significant impact with the battery being hot or cold if it's not being charged or discharged.

As soon as you start it, it will warm the battery with the inline heaters if it needs it. Those are the options, let it pull power as needed or let it equalize when you start it.

Back