Anti_Climax

Re: AC not reliable in warm weather

Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:38 pm

scottt wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:43 am
Sorry you all have had issues with your AC. Both my 2015 and 2017 FFE's could be used to store meat in the 100+ degree summer days.
That's how mine was when I got it, but it didn't last.
2012 Candy Blue FFE
33.5kWh battery pack
CHAdeMO DC Fast Charging

jghall00

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:35 am

I've heard of this issue, but have not experienced it personally with my 2017 FFE. I'm in Houston, where the summers are generally very hot and humid. My wife did say she saw it happen once, but it did not last very long. My car is generally in the garage when at home, because that is where it charges. I think the issue may that on newer models, part of the HV pack is in the cabin, so when the interior gets very hot, the battery is heating up as well. I have a couple of suggestions that may help.

(1) we have the darkest allowable tint on the rear windows. This really helps keep the infrared light out of the interior. (2) Use a reflective window shade on the front window. (3) Crack the windows and let hot air out. This will help equalize the interior and exterior temps, instead of creating an oven inside the car. (4) The car can be precooled before departure. I suggest remoting starting the car, or using the preset departure start to give the car an opportunity to cool down before entering. (5) if the full vehicle range will not be utilized that day, the car can be idled with AC running for a long time without suffering a substantial range hit. Once the interior has been cooled, it takes less energy maintain that lower temperature. So if you're out shopping or running errands, you can leave the vehicle running and just lock the doors.

I hope this helps!

Heima

Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:03 pm

It's should be (B).
Considering there was no A or B choice in this thread. I am going to call your post useless and annoying.

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”