You may also get frustrated when you get a flat tire :-(

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olagon

Ok got my first flat. Just a warning to others who may experience similar issues:

• Called five or six places including the Ford dealer, Costco & Firestone. NO ONE has this tire in stock or an equivalent LRR tire.
    Finally found a tire shop that had one that would work. $280 installed for one. Ouch.
    Called Ford Roadside Assistance. They CAN'T tow it to the tire shop even though the Ford dealer doesn't have the tire in stock. The tire shop is two blocks away from Ford.
    Roadside Assist said they can send someone to take off the flat. I then drive it down to the tire shop. Then they can send someone to come back and reinstall the tire. Crazy! That costs more than towing it to the tire shop. I don't have a jack or stands so this isn't an option.

Will probably just bite the bullet and have my car towed to the tire shop. Will be about $400 to fix one flat :-(

I replaced my tires with identical ones at America's Tire Company when they were worn. They got the replacements next day. Don't recall the exact cost but I didn't consider them unreasonable.

Be grateful we have these Michelin tires. The Goodyear tires on Volts blow sidewalls with alarming regularity for no apparent reason. Only problem I've had with the FFE tires were legitimate road hazards like nails.

michael said:
Be grateful we have these Michelin tires. The Goodyear tires on Volts blow sidewalls with alarming regularity for no apparent reason. Only problem I've had with the FFE tires were legitimate road hazards like nails.

That makes me feel a little better. I did run over a chunk of metal. Hoping another Ford dealer on island will call me back and say they have the tires in stock. Wish we had that tire company here in Hawaii.

Looks like Tire Rack has the OEM tire for about $195:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=225%2F&ratio=50&diameter=17&rearWidth=255%2F&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17&zip-code=

...which hopefully makes you feel like you're not overpaying. By the time you add shipping installation, balancing, and tax, the difference is maybe $25. And you'd have to wait for Tire Rack to send it to you or to your local tire shop. So it sounds like your tire shop is giving you a reasonable price, considering the circumstances. Sucks about the towing though. I kept my AAA membership in case this happens to me, since they'll tow to any shop. Good luck.

I bought a brand new never used spare tire from a junk yard for $35. That way I am prepared if I get a flat. I can still get the car home and I can be patient about getting the new tire I want and not having to pay a premium for whoever happens to have it in stock.

Checked my receipt. I paid $759 for a set of four installed, including disposal fee but before local sales tax, at America's Tire Company.

They have 2 version of the tire. one is lower speed rating. The one that comes with the FFE is rated for a higher speed and will cost more.

Don't know which I have but since the thing only goes 85 I don't think it's an issue. What are the two options? I only am finding V (149 MPH...good enough...) on the list

Back