MyFord Mobile Free For First 5 Years?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heima

So I got the message to update the MyFord Mobile app from within the app, and in true Ford fashion, was not able to use my current version until updated. Hence forced to update.

In the App Store, I read what the update was (bug fixes, like always) and noticed this text at the bottom of the description:
"Consumers will initially receive MyFord Mobile free of charge at purchase, and for a fee after the initial 5 year subscription subsides."

I don't remember seeing this policy before. I was reluctant to update, thinking that I was going to get a countdown timer to obsolescence. But since mine is a 2017, purchased in 2018, I deduced I would have another 2 years.

However, for those driving 2012-2015 model year vehicles, has support for MyFord Mobile been dropped? Have you been asked to pay a subsciption fee? Or will updating to this latest release effectively turn off your MyFord Mobile communication with your vehicle?

I am reminded of the fiasco of owning a 2013 Fiat 500e (great car, lousy support) and that to have continued full app support after the first 3 years was impossible. Fiat did eventually change the policy to be a subscription at $40 a month, but that is ridiculous considering how little convenience or value the app provided.

Yes, it's supposed to be 5 years for free. I had posed the same question before, and older owners said theirs was still working.

BTW - Just got the alert (business) that AT&T is nuking 3G in Feb 2022. We getting free modem upgrades again??? :)

I *think* it might be a paid app outside 5 years for non-EV Ford vehicles, but that is speculation on my part.

Also, are we sure they put in 3G modems and not LTE? At the time 2G was sunset, their plans to sunset 3G were already out there. (dealing with this for just about every carrier as part of my day job)

edit: Looks likely to be 3G but it seems to vary by market. If you can pull the TCU (GM5Z-14G229-AD) it should have an FCC ID on the label that will tell you the exact cell chip it uses, which will at least confirm if LTE is supported in hardware.

Back