BMW i3

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaus

Unlike the Ford Focus Electric vehicle, the BMW i3 is built from the ground up as an electric vehicle. That allows engineers to fully experiment with the electric concept, hopefully coming up with something pretty cool.

There's rumors the BMW i3 may debut in September at the Frankfurt auto show.

here's a spy photo of what is believed to be the BMW i3 Electric Vehicle:
2014-bmw-i3-spy-photo-embed-4.jpg

And the BMW i8 Electric Vehicle... waaaay cooler:
2014-bmw-i8-spy-photo-embed-3.jpg

klaus said:
Unlike the Ford Focus Electric vehicle, the BMW i3 is built from the ground up as an electric vehicle. That allows engineers to fully experiment with the electric concept, hopefully coming up with something pretty cool.

There's rumors the BMW i3 may debut in September at the Frankfurt auto show.

here's a spy photo of what is believed to be the BMW i3 Electric Vehicle:
2014-bmw-i3-spy-photo-embed-4.jpg

And the BMW i8 Electric Vehicle... waaaay cooler:

actually this is a great car ever built by BMW they have the nicest parts ever built and some othe parts are very expensive but it is the best parts in any makes BMW Parts are great on this Ford Focus Electric forum

I am very interested in the i3. If BMW can release it at a mid $30k or possibly @ $40k I will seriously consider it once my Leaf's lease is up. Here's the main page on BMW. Also pics of the inside.

http://www.bmw-i.com/en_ww/bmw-i3/

FYI: The sports car is the i8 in those pics is a hybrid - electric front wheel drive and gas back wheel drive.

Hi klaus,

What do you mean when you say the electric car is "built from the ground up"? I was always under the impression the Ford Focus Electric was built entirely in the States at a production facility in Michigan. The Focus EV is also supposed to be at the forefront of electric vehicle technology. I will say the BMW does look pretty awesome though!

toffty said:
I am very interested in the i3. If BMW can release it at a mid $30k or possibly @ $40k I will seriously consider it once my Leaf's lease is up. Here's the main page on BMW. Also pics of the inside.

http://www.bmw-i.com/en_ww/bmw-i3/

FYI: The sports car is the i8 in those pics is a hybrid - electric front wheel drive and gas back wheel drive.
Also interested in the BMW i3 and hoping it starts under $40k. Many will want to load it up, but I’m looking for a solid EV with basic options. I think it’s more than two years off, so looking for an EV to hold me over.

GreenRPMs said:
Hi klaus,

What do you mean when you say the electric car is "built from the ground up"? I was always under the impression the Ford Focus Electric was built entirely in the States at a production facility in Michigan. The Focus EV is also supposed to be at the forefront of electric vehicle technology. I will say the BMW does look pretty awesome though!
BMW i3 was designed as a Battery Electric Vehicle. Focus is a Gas powered vehicle converted to an EV. There are good reasons for either choice. BMW i3 will be mostly Carbon Fiber and Aluminum to keep the weight down, but is two years off. Focus is available today.

I found there is a whole specific BMW i3 Forum (run by the same people as this Focus Electric Forum). They just started it up but there's already some people on there, including Tom Maloughney who has some inside info as he's been involved with BMW's electric vehicles since the Smart EV.

http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum

I recently did a weekend test drive of the i3. I wasn't very impressed with it. I don't care for all the hard interior surfaces, even if they are recycled. I didn't find the dash displays to be as useful for EV data, except for the fact that it has a nice power meter front & center on the dash, this is something that the FFE desperately needs!

I did like the seating position & visibility in the i3. The windows are very tall. However, there are no rear windows to lower & there's no sunroof available. There are also no mini blind spot mirrors in the side mirrors & no blind spot system. I've gotten so used to having Fords with either the BLIS system or the integrated spotter mirrors like in the FFE that I don't want to be without one of those options. The back seat is also unusable in the i3. It will be removed from my list of possible EVs to replace the FFE when my lease ends in August.

The one area where the i3 clearly reigned supreme was in efficiency. I picked up the car Saturday afternoon & drove from the dealer to my parents' house to pick up my mom for an errand that was back near the dealer, then I brought her back home and had to go back to the dealer for something that I had forgotten in the FFE, then from there I went home & charged for a few minutes until I had enough range to do one last errand. All said & done 91 miles at 4.7 mi/kWh (about 213 Wh/mi). This was good efficiency considering that I did use some A/C and that about 70-75 of the 91 miles were on the freeway.

On Sunday I took the i3 for a scenic drive. I want to duplicate this drive in the FFE one of these days to see its Wh/mi for this drive. The drive was mostly at 40-50 MPH with minimal stops, cruising near Lake Minnetonka and that area. The i3 managed 60 miles at 5.5 mi/kWh (182 Wh/mi). I bet the FFE would be around 190-200 Wh/mi for this same drive.

Monday I drove the i3 to work in the morning & then back to the dealership around lunchtime. This was freeway driving almost the entire way and resulted in 19 miles at 4.6 mi/kWh (217 Wh/mi). The FFE ran about 225-230 Wh/mi on this same route.

hybridbear said:
I didn't find the dash displays to be as useful for EV data
Thanks for the review. I've never actually been in an i3.

Wow, the weirdly abbreviated "Consumpt." on the display looks terrible. They should have just said "Energy" or "Usage" or something else that would fit.

And, the i3 display graphics reminds me of those list-heavy flip-phone user-interfaces from the early 2000s. Unimaginative and clunky.

I'm always left impressed by the displays in the FFE whenever I see the displays in other EVs (except Tesla of course).

hybridbear said:
The one area where the i3 clearly reigned supreme was in efficiency.

That's mostly due to the lower weight of the i3, producing less rolling tire drag and drivetrain friction.
The i3 is 700 lbs lighter than the Focus (20% lighter!). That is key to efficiency.
Note the i3 has extremely narrow tires for less rolling resistance to help as well, only 155 mm compared to our FFE's beefy 225 mm widths.

hybridbear said:
On Sunday I took the i3 for a scenic drive. I want to duplicate this drive in the FFE one of these days to see its Wh/mi for this drive. The drive was mostly at 40-50 MPH with minimal stops, cruising near Lake Minnetonka and that area. The i3 managed 60 miles at 5.5 mi/kWh (182 Wh/mi). I bet the FFE would be around 190-200 Wh/mi for this same drive.

Monday I drove the i3 to work in the morning & then back to the dealership around lunchtime. This was freeway driving almost the entire way and resulted in 19 miles at 4.6 mi/kWh (217 Wh/mi). The FFE ran about 225-230 Wh/mi on this same route.

I've always been amazed by the Wh/mi you get!!! Around town ie. 45mph or less I get about your 225-230 Wh/mi freeway power consumption. On the freeway I get no less than 260-280Wh/mi And that's all without using climate control.

triangles said:
45mph or less I get about your 225-230 Wh/mi freeway power consumption. On the freeway I get no less than 260-280Wh/mi And that's all without using climate control.
Do you run your tires at 32 PSI (normal for the gas Focus) or 38 PSI (as specified for the Focus Electric)?

You have to be careful if you take your car to some tire place (or even your Ford dealer) as they may not properly inflate your tires according to the FFE specs, and instead assume the gasmobile specs.

Personally, I run my tires a little higher than 38 PSI for even lower rolling resistance.

triangles said:
hybridbear said:

I've always been amazed by the Wh/mi you get!!! Around town ie. 45mph or less I get about your 225-230 Wh/mi freeway power consumption. On the freeway I get no less than 260-280Wh/mi And that's all without using climate control.
Haha! Thanks, I think! ;)

I also have my tires inflated to about 44 PSI. I also drive very gently. My Lifetime Brake score over about 22,000 miles is 99%. When MFM actually works to transmit the Driving Score to the Trip Log it usually shows 99 or 100 on city trips and around 95 on freeway trips. I accelerate gently, usually less than 25 kW of power and I do lots of coasting in Neutral when I know that I will need to be stopping ahead but the stop is a long way off.

My Lifetime Wh/mi over 24 months and 21,000 miles (including 2 MN winters) is 238 Wh/mi.

I test drove a Model S last week, and ordered one to replace the FFE, and I found that it will use about 15% more Wh per mile compared to the FFE. A city drive that in the FFE is typically around 180 Wh/mi was 206 Wh/mi in the Tesla. A mixed highway/city drive that always uses 1.3 kWh according to the FFE used 1.4 kWh in the Tesla. The Tesla should be closer to the FFE on the freeway and significantly less efficient in city driving based on the EPA MPGe ratings.

Back