SD card for Navigation system: share with music library?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountaineer

My 2013 FFE uses a Ford SD card to enter the map database into the Navigation system. It works fine. However, to avoid tying up a USB port with a stick containing music (so I can play it with or without my iPhone), I wonder if it might be possible to copy the map database onto my own larger SD card, put music on the same card, and have the Nav and Media Center systems recognize both kinds of content respectively. I doubt it, but probably if anyone has tried this, they'd be here! Thanks!

Supplementary question: does anyone know whether the Nav system downloads the inserted Nav maps card, so one can now remove the card, insert a new SD card with music, and still have Nav work?
Otherwise I'd have to leave the Nav card in place and use a USB stick to load music without using an iPhone/Pod (or bluetooth or CD or other media, right?

Dealer tells me Nav does not download maps from the SD card but reads them real-time as needed, so SD card cannot be shared with music and still have Nav work. You'd need to put music on a separate USB stick instead.

My SD card in the FFE is very poor and I can't get it fixed. I have the latest version but 50% of the charge locatoions are wrong and many new ones aren't even listed.
Our LEAF gets live updates over the air. FORD is back in the 20th century.

mountaineer said:
However, to avoid tying up a USB port with a stick containing music (so I can play it with or without my iPhone)
I don't understand, there are two USB ports... this isn't enough to leave one with a flash drive (with all your music on it) plugged in at all times? This is what I do and it works great.

I use the second USB port simply to charge my iPhone, using a "charge-only" extension cable (and, even then, I could use the 12V port with a USB power adapter if I really wanted to leave the second USB port free). If I ever want to play anything from my iPhone, I just do it over Bluetooth.

I can attest the SD card data is not copied into the nav system. While driving down the road in my new FFE a friend lifted the center arm rest to check it out, removed the SD card and my map promptly vanished (thanks buddy :x ). Fortunately it quickly recovered when he reinserted the card.

I'm currently using the SD card that came with the car. Usually the maps take a long time to draw onscreen (like when zooming in or out). I wonder if a faster SD card would help speed the whole thing up?

scoops said:
I'm currently using the SD card that came with the car. Usually the maps take a long time to draw onscreen (like when zooming in or out). I wonder if a faster SD card would help speed the whole thing up?
Interesting idea... if anyone tries this, let us know!

jstack6 said:
My SD card in the FFE is very poor and I can't get it fixed. I have the latest version but 50% of the charge locatoions are wrong and many new ones aren't even listed.
I only use Plugshare to find stations on my smart phone, then I'll switch ChargePoint if its a ChargePoint EVSE that I'm interested in using. Have never bothered with any EVSEs that the three EVs we've had can show us. Until they have Plugshare in the car, I'll continue to use my iPhone.

scoops said:
I wonder if a faster SD card would help speed the whole thing up?

The SD cards can't be copied or even used as a memory card. Well at least not by normal human being standards on a Mac or a PC (I'm guessing there are tools to copy and crack anything). There was an upgrade on the NAV system that was mailed to my house. After swapping the cards, I tried to use the old card for regular files - no luck, can't do anything with the card.

I'd also guess, it isn't the card speed that is the limiting factor in map redraws.

jstack6 said:
Interesting. I never use the Sirius Travel Link charging info, so I didn't realize it was out of date. I wonder why Sirius can give us up to the minute gas prices, but not update the charging stations? The odd thing is that, a while back, I heard that PlugShare and Ford had inked a deal for using the PlugShare info. It might have been only for plug-in hybrids though.

Second question: Why does your SD card have charging stations on it? Don't you use the Sirius Travel Link through your navigation?

unplugged said:
Interesting. I never use the Sirius Travel Link charging info, so I didn't realize it was out of date. I wonder why Sirius can give us up to the minute gas prices, but not update the charging stations? The odd thing is that, a while back, I heard that PlugShare and Ford had inked a deal for using the PlugShare info. It might have been only for plug-in hybrids though.

Second question: Why does your SD card have charging stations on it? Don't you use the Sirius Travel Link through your navigation?
Inside the car the charge stations are stored as "point of interests" on the map data (located on the SD card). Thus charge station data is relatively static. In the past with MyFordTouch updates they have sent out new SD cards with updated data (and I think you can go to your dealer and order newer map data on SD cards).
Unfortunately, as noted in this thread: The SD card is read-only which means that the radio cannot update the list of stations.

If, however, you use the My Ford Mobile app (or the website) to find charge stations you will find that that list is quite up to date--I think that is the list where Ford is pulling some data from plugshare. In fact a brand new station just showed up near my house this past week (At a AAA Office) and the My Ford Mobile app found it.

Back