Replace tail lamp bulbs... but impossible to access?!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WattsUp

I would like to replace the bulbs in my tail lamps with LED "bulbs". I've done this with great results on my other vehicle (using bulbs from vleds.com).

For the Focus, the manual makes it appear "easy" to unbolt the tail lamp assembly and replace any of the bulbs. It clearly shows all the bulb locations, as viewed from the rear of the removed assembly (page 137).

However, I am stuck at Step 4 on page 136 -- removing the assembly! The two "bolts" the manual refers to are, in reality, plastic knob-like things, and yet are seemingly impossible to turn by hand. They are in a very difficult location to even attempt to turn by hand. No normal tool fits them.

Does anyone know the trick to accessing the tail lamp assemblies?

I mean, what if I simply needed to replace a burned out bulb? Surely, I should not have to go to the dealer for that.

If you can figure it out, I hope you can post a guide with photos.

I'd also love to see what those replacement lamps look like. I've wanted to do this with previous cars, but the LED replacements didn't seem practical.

I'll try to do that. But, so far, no other advice yet (here, or on Ford's forum, where I posted the same message). I found a few (non-electric Focus) guides for removing the tail lamp assemblies online (I'll try to post links here), but they all gloss over the part about removing the bolts as if it is not an issue. (But, perhaps it wasn't for them... their bolts weren't super tight as mine are?) I'm thinking of going to the dealer and having them show me how to remove the bolts.

As for LED bulbs, check out vleds.com. Assuming I can get the assemblies opened up, I am planning to use red V3 Tritons for all the red brake lamps, and amber ones for the front and rear turn signals. As well as some of their other LEDs for the white reverse lamps.

V3 Triton in red:
http://www.vleds.com/bulb/3157-3156-led/red-led/v3-r.html

The interesting thing about these bulbs is that they look completely clear when off... the only "glow" red or amber. When fully lit, the bulbs look much the same as regular bulbs, brighter even. At least the ones from vleds.com do, which are very bright... not all LEDs bulbs are, as my wallet and I learned the hard way. The vleds.com products may seem expensive, but they perform as priced when compared with other LED bulbs (some of which are probably even so dim as to be dangerous).

But, for me, it is more the "instant" on/off of LED lighting. When braking, this is potentially safer (giving slightly more time for someone following you to react), but I also like the high-tech look of the instant on/off, especially for turn signals.

LED reverse lamps seems excessive to me, but I certainly like the brake lights for safety reasons. They illuminate faster, allowing better response times for the drivers behind you.

How's the dispersion on these? Most LEDs have very narrow dispersion patterns, but I'd guess the tail light lenses should solve that for the most part.

Is the added resistive load necessary for the Focus? I owned a BMW once that would complain instantly in the cockpit if a brake light went out. If the Focus has a similar ability, it may be necessary. (IMO, that should be a mandatory feature on all cars.)

Well, I like the bright LED look of the reverse lights... bright white instead of yellowy. And, depending on which LED bulb you use, they could be significantly brighter than stock incandescent bulbs.

I put LED tail lamps in my Honda Accord. It lights up its "brake bulb" warning light on the dash the first time I apply the brakes. I haven't dealt with it yet. I thought what I'd probably do is simply remove the warning bulb in the dash (I had other plans to go in there anyway) rather than add a resistive load to the brake lamps themselves. For the signals, which signaled fast after being replaced with LEDs, I simply replaced the flasher with an "electronic" unit that doesn't use resistance/capacitors to time the flash rate.

For the Focus, I'm pretty sure it will generate a computerized warning (not so easy to squelch), so a resistive load will probably be necessary to avoid being annoyed in the cockpit. I'm hoping the flash rate of the signals might already be "electronic", or I can similarly replace the flasher.

-----

There are plenty of cheapo "automotive LED replacement" bulbs out there that are significantly worse that using the stock incandescent bulbs (to the point of being dangerous, as I mentioned). They aren't very bright and often have ridiculously bad dispersion issues. Sometimes you see ricers driving down the road with these stupid "dots" of dim light from crappy LEDs bulbs in their tails. Idiots.

The bulbs I'm intending to use are orders of magnitude better than some of the other LED bulbs out there. You'll pay for it, but you'll get the real thing. The performance of the vleds.com products, for example, is closer to those "industrial strength" LEDs you see on police vehicles and traffic lights. They are not quite that bright, but they do actually replace incandenscents to the point of actually being obviously better.

WattsUp said:
I found a few (non-electric Focus) guides for removing the tail lamp assemblies online (I'll try to post links here), but they all gloss over the part about removing the bolts as if it is not an issue.
Here's a video that is for a trailer wiring harness product, but happens to show accessing the rear lamps of a 2012 Focus hatchback:
http://images.etrailer.com/Merchant...ll-trailer-wiring-2012-ford-focus-118549.webm

Here's a thread in the Focus Fanatics from:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297702

Yes, I've had some success! -- and have been taking photos along the way, but was going to wait to formulate a nice, complete posting after I get the installation finalized. However, in short, I finally learned how to remove the assemblies, and have been working on getting LEDs installed.

The rear tail lights are super easy to remove. If you guys check out the thread right under this one for the interior LED upgrade there is a video there showing how to remove them. It's kinda long but you will get the idea. Also they have posted most of the LED bulbs needed to do the entire car. I just finished doing mine. Now every light on the car is an LED inside an out. The difference is huge. On that thread I'll post up the numbers for the back up bulbs as well as the front turn signals as the ones there are wrong. But all in all it's very easy to access all bulbs in this car.

Astrand1 said:
The rear tail lights are super easy to remove. If you guys check out the thread right under this one for the interior LED upgrade there is a video there showing how to remove them.
Can you either provide the link to the thread, or provide the link here? I can't find the post you are referring to. Thanks.

You could try this link.
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=946

To loosen the black plastic wing nuts I used a pliers. I loosely grabbed the wing nut with the pliers and twisted the nut counter clockwise.

Update: I have not found a solution to the turn signal rapid plink problem when using LEDs. I know that a large load resister would work. Has any one found LED solution for the turn signals?

I believe the only solution is to buy an LED module with the load resistor built in or add it yourself. Personally, I am planning on replacing the lights; however, I'm not going to replace the indicator lights...only the static running lights. I figure I'm not turning often enough to make any kind of dent in the power consumption.

davideos said:
I believe the only solution is to buy an LED module with the load resistor built in or add it yourself. Personally, I am planning on replacing the lights; however, I'm not going to replace the indicator lights...only the static running lights. I figure I'm not turning often enough to make any kind of dent in the power consumption.
In my case, I don't really care about the power consumption (its negligible anyway, even with incandescents) -- I just love the way LED signals look. The "instant" on and off. And, of course, LED brakes are slightly safer as well, for the same reason.

Astrand1 said:
The rear tail lights are super easy to remove.
In my case, this was not true at first. The "hand nuts" (which hold the rear lamp assemblies to the body) were impossible to turn by hand... only when I resorted to creative use of some pliers could I finally get them to budge. But, yes, after that, accessing the rear lamp assemblies is pretty easy.

Back