New to the forum just bought 2016 FFE royal blue w center leather love the car

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattblank62

I’ve read a little about the HV battery and wonder if there is anything I can do to prevent it from
Leaking coolant for the HV batteries

What causes the coolant to leak?
Thanks
Matt

The cells in the original battery model can start to swell and, when they do, it breaks the coolant channels and allows it to pool inside the pack. Eventually that corrodes or shorts something and kills the electronics.

Since there are no service procedures or parts for the internals, the only option they offer is a swap.

We've previously discussed installing some sort of liquid sensor in the upper pack so a leak could be identified immediately but don't think anything ever came of it. It may also be possible to repair the electronics, but it would involve inspecting everything and may still not be feasible.

Coolant question: I keep seeing threads mentioning coolant leaks, and subsequent serious HV battery problems (leading to HV battery failure, car bricked...). Please tell me more! Is this coolant the "Coolant Reservoir" that can be checked under the hood (see my attached image below from my Focus's manual)?
I see Anti_Climax's description above of
"...cells in the original battery model can start to swell and, when they do, it breaks the coolant channels and allows it to pool inside the pack. Eventually that corrodes or shorts something and kills the electronics...."
but in that case why would the coolant level in the reservoir drop?
Is this the only coolant system in the vehicle? I'd really like to understand this!
Thanks!

Attachments

• 240205 Coolant reservoir photo.jpg
    240205 Coolant reservoir photo.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 0
There is only one coolant system. Diverters can isolate the battery/charger/chiller, the cabin heater and bypass the radiator. So if coolant starts leaking the reservoir level will start to drop.

There should be some images of the coolant system in various threads - schematics and diagrams - that can illustrate it. I'll see if I can dig any up.

Like Anti_Climax said, there is only one coolant system, but multiple loops and the coolant is shared between them.

Analogous situation. ICE vehicle has a leak in the heater core. If unchecked, the coolant level in the radiator/coolant will drop as the coolant escapes through the leak in the heater.

Back