MyFord Mobile totally wigging out

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmueller065

Wow for the past 12 hours MyFord Mobile has been totally wigging out on me:
A few weeks ago I was trying to figure out an issue with the radio so I did a master reset (which removed my car from MFM). When I re-added the car I never got the 2nd prompt after 24 hours but everything worked.
Last night/this morning I get the following sequence of events:
  • An automated e-mail from MFM and the app saying "your car has been removed from MFM due to master reset processing" (last night)
    I re-added the car late last night and acknowledged the first prompt in the car
    This morning I awake to the same automated e-mail about the car being deleted
    I re-add the car a 2nd time and acknowledge the prompt in the car
    Guess what appeared immediately in my inbox: "Your car has been deleted..."
    If I try to re-add my car within about 30 minutes from that e-mail I get an error saying that the car hasn't been registered
    lather, rinse, repeat

Update: What else can I try?
I know: I'll do another master reset--couldn't hurt and maybe it will clear some condition in the car.
Perform master reset, add car to MFM again...boom instant e-mail back from MFM: Car removed due to...
arrgh!
Ok what else haven't I tried? (Since the issue seems to be with MFM and not the car I haven't attempted pulling the telematics fuse)
Ahha: I'll create a new MFM account and register the car to that.
Well so far that appears to be working: No instant e-mails back, the car seems to be sticking in the new account and waiting for the 2nd confirmation after 24 hours.
Very strange (I really didn't care about losing any history in MFM because all that history had useless values in it!).

I got this same problem. I received similar email from Ford and now I can't add the vehicle anymore to MFM.

jmueller065 said:
Have you tried creating a new MFM account? and/or deleting your current one and re-creating it?

Trying that now. Deleted my account, created a new one and added the vehicle. Will wait for the 24 hr window to see if all worked or not.

Having created MFM account again, got me thinking how secure is the MFM system? Someone who has access to my car for 24 hours (repair shop, long term valet, stolen vehicle, and on and on), can create an account, add the car, do the confirmation in the car (step 3) and again within 24 hrs (step 4). Now they control the car to lock/unlock, locate it, view all the trip data (loss of privacy!) etc. Wonder how I would know if someone else adds the vehicle to their account. And does the system allow multiple MFM accounts to have access to the car without me knowing of it?

Anyone has a good read on how secure MFM is?

Well even if MFM won't let you add a car to your account it can still be done, but only if you have physical possession of the car. (e.g. if you have the car you can just perform a master reset which would remove the car from any accounts then just add it to your newly created account).
You are already trusting the dealership anyway. If someone at the dealership did such a thing it would be easy to track them down (and incredibly stupid on their part--but then again most criminals are not masterminds).

My guess is that Ford's logic was: "Its as secure as the car is" (e.g. if you don't have physical possession of the car you can't do much. Hence the in-car prompts.)

The first account to which the car is added is considered the "master" account. If anyone tries to add the car you'll get an e-mail asking you to approve. Future add requests do not require the car prompts. This is how it worked when we got the FFE and setup our accounts. When I tried to add it to my MFM account the previous owner got an e-mail saying that I was requesting to take control of the vehicle. She had to login to MFM and accept or deny. When she accepted she was asked if I was the new owner or an additional user. When she said that I was the new owner the car was deleted from her MFM account. I went through the same process to add my wife, except now I received the e-mail with those questions. When we bought the Fusion Energi I added it to my account before we left the dealer and did the first prompt that way. The following day I then did the 2nd prompt. Once both prompts in-car were complete and the car was fully active in my account it was easy to add my wife. We just logged in to her account and we added the Energi VIN. MFM then sent me an e-mail asking me to approve or reject the request. When the vehicle is already connected to an account MFM will tell you this rather than showing you the prompts process when you go to add it.

I believe that a master reset on the MFT screen in the car deletes it from all accounts, but not really. My parents had a master reset done by the dealer on their C-Max and it temporarily removed it from MFM and caused them to get all sorts of strange MFM e-mails but eventually the car showed up in MFM again without them having to do anything.

hybridbear said:
I believe that a master reset on the MFT screen in the car deletes it from all accounts, but not really. My parents had a master reset done by the dealer on their C-Max and it temporarily removed it from MFM and caused them to get all sorts of strange MFM e-mails but eventually the car showed up in MFM again without them having to do anything.
Perhaps but my whole kerfuffle here with MFM seems to have been started by me initiating a master reset a little over a week ago.

I got the e-mails stating that the car was deleted due to a master reset. When I would re-enter the car MFM would ask: "History is available for this car do you wish to use it?" Implying that yes MFM did know about the car. Unfortunately in my case here I think it was stuck in a goofy state where some flag was set that said master reset was done but some other flag was also set conflicting with that info.

When I added the car to the 2nd account after it had been deleted from the first account by the master reset the 1st account got no notifications about the car being added somewhere else (no e-mails, no popups, etc. nothing).

Update: Right on time @ 24 hours I got the 2nd confirmation question inside the car. Good to go again (alas my Wh/mile still isn't showing in the trip & charge log though).

Back