My FFE won't charge and it is car problem not charger

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mewithmyffe

I use ChargePoint to charge my Ford Focus Electric at work.
Recently, I noticed charging would stop intermittently and would re-start by itself.
One time, I was at charging station when it stopped. It had error message some "fault". Did not write down.
Next day, I tried different station, the same thing. Then, I tried another station another day. Total three station tried.
Last night, before going bed, I plugged into my home wall 110V to charge (since I need the car this morning for rather long distance). It wouldn't charge. I am not using any schedule, auto charge, any software. Just simple plug in and charge. I got red triangle. After plug and unplug several times, finally I gave up and went to bed.
This morning, I plugged in again, it starts to charge.

I am thinking there is probably some temperature sensor in the vehicle that prevented charging. After whole night, it cools sufficiently and hence it allows charging. Intermittent stopping charging at ChargePoint level 2 chargers also could cause this sensor tripped.

Anyone else has similar experience and knowledge about sensors in FFE that prevents charging?

PS. My FFE is 11 months old. Not happy it starts to have problems within less than 1 yrs of its life.

mewithmyffe said:
I use ChargePoint to charge my Ford Focus Electric at work.
Recently, I noticed charging would stop intermittently and would re-start by itself.
One time, I was at charging station when it stopped. It had error message some "fault". Did not write down.
Next day, I tried different station, the same thing. Then, I tried another station another day. Total three station tried.
Last night, before going bed, I plugged into my home wall 110V to charge (since I need the car this morning for rather long distance). It wouldn't charge. I am not using any schedule, auto charge, any software. Just simple plug in and charge. I got red triangle. After plug and unplug several times, finally I gave up and went to bed.
This morning, I plugged in again, it starts to charge.

I am thinking there is probably some temperature sensor in the vehicle that prevented charging. After whole night, it cools sufficiently and hence it allows charging. Intermittent stopping charging at ChargePoint level 2 chargers also could cause this sensor tripped.

Anyone else has similar experience and knowledge about sensors in FFE that prevents charging?

PS. My FFE is 11 months old. Not happy it starts to have problems within less than 1 yrs of its life.

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I think you my be right about the temp. There may be a bad connector in there somewhere that is causing it to heat up increasing resistance and tripping the code and shut down. If you take it to the dealer, be sure to try a charge cycle even if it is at full charge just to cause the warning to come on and stop allowing to charge. Then at the dealer be sure to plug in right away to demonstrate the issue. If they hold it overnight it may not show any issues and won't be traceable. Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.
I'm afraid I cannot reproduce the failure when I bring my car back to the dealer and only fails again when I need to charge at home.

Unfortunately, now, both Dealer and I cannot reproduce the problem. I'm told next time, when fault happen, call Ford Roadside Assistance to have the car towed to the dealer. That is the only way they can find problem. I am disappointed. I think for problem like this it must be an interlock sensor that cuts off circuit. So it shall be rather easy fix and diagnose. Just look all those interlock sensors that designed for safety.

A side note: The problem started after I used Level 2 charger at a Target store. I powered on the car when it was charging since I wanted to listen to music while waiting and charging. I wonder whether power-on the car while charging confused computers in the car. This week, I figured out that I don't need to power on the car to listen the radio. I shall just power on radio. And, I do not have problem with charging again.

Well the good news - it seems to have fixed itself. The bad news, you have no idea why it stopped having the problem.

Turning on the car while it charges is not a problem. That most likely didn't cause the charging issue.

The next time it happens, write down the error message, or take a picture of it.

Sometimes it can just be a bad connection. Maybe a little bit of dirt in the socket in the car. Battery pack temperature should not be a problem.

There is a TSB on charging issues on motorcraft's service site. The TSB is 14-0227. If you encounter this again, take it to your dealer and have them install the patch if that is the problem.

Back