Hypothetical extended range idea.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WattsUp said:
davideos said:
On another note, why is a flatbed so important? Lift the front tires, the back tires roll. Just don't leave the parking brake on.
Two possible reasons I can think of:

• It is simply a "cover all" requirement that will prevent any "bad" towing (e.g., lifting the car from the back and dragging the front); if you simply "require" a flatbed, then nobody can mess up!
  • The car is very heavy, perhaps the rear suspension is not designed for much travel at the odd angle required for towing?

Admittedly, these are just guesses.

Wow that was discussed like crazy over here a long time ago. Flat bed - Flat bed - Flat bed. The owner's manual is abundantly clear, never tow the car with the wheels on the ground. Flat bed.

You can reason all you want and rationalize how you think towing with wheels on the ground is fine. Go ahead and do it. But the manual is crystal clear, no wheels on the ground.

And that long thread - if I'm not mistaken, the conclusion was - the car is much heavier than an ICE and all the weight back on the rear suspension is outside the design limits and their safety factors.

Just don't tow the car with the wheels on the ground.

EVA said:
And that long thread - if I'm not mistaken, the conclusion was - the car is much heavier than an ICE and all the weight back on the rear suspension is outside the design limits and their safety factors.
It's not like the back of the car gets heavier when the front wheels are lifted. The same proportion of weight is still borne by the front and rear suspension. In the case of the FFE, it's about a 50/50 weight distribution... 50% would be born by the tow truck lift (cradling the front wheels) and 50% by the car's rear wheels, as usual. But, it might have something to do with the angle the car would then be at, lifted in such a way, as I mentioned.

But, as you mentioned, the manual says absolutely no conventional towing. Use a flatbed.

According to the 2013 owner's manual, we don't have to flatbed it. A wheel lift or dolly can be used, but not a slingbelt, to tow with the two rear wheels on the ground. See page 306:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/13fevom1e.pdf

2014 manual says the same thing, on page 177.

I think you mis-interpreted what it says (page 306):
If your vehicle is to be towed from the rear using wheel lift equipment,
the front wheels (drive wheels) must be placed on a dolly to prevent
damage to the transmission.

In other words: If you tow it by lifting the rear end you must also lift the front wheels off the ground (e.g. no wheels on the ground).

Oh WattsUp I hate to disagree with you about the weight. It is simple physics, when the car is tilted on an angle there is more weight on the rear wheels. The percentage back has to do with the angle. It most certainly carries more weight.

EVA said:
Oh WattsUp I hate to disagree with you about the weight. It is simple physics, when the car is tilted on an angle there is more weight on the rear wheels. The percentage back has to do with the angle. It most certainly carries more weight.
Okay. I can't imagine that it is significantly more at the angles a tow truck might lift the car, though.

Back