Full energy usage while car stopped, climate off

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wplate

I've noticed recently when I'm stopped in the vehicle that the energy usage can be all the way up, even though the car doesn't really seem to be "working" very hard. I took the picture below while at a drive thru, the lights were on, the radio was on but the climate was off and the car was stopped. I turned off the lights and the energy usage remained at the top. Why is the car using so much energy sitting still?

IMG_4007_sm.jpeg

wplate said:
I've noticed recently when I'm stopped in the vehicle that the energy usage can be all the way up, even though the car doesn't really seem to be "working" very hard. I took the picture below while at a drive thru, the lights were on, the radio was on but the climate was off and the car was stopped. I turned off the lights and the energy usage remained at the top. Why is the car using so much energy sitting still?

IMG_4007_sm.jpeg

That display is about watts per mile. NOT watts. So if you are standing still, and the car is using even a tiny bit of power, that is infinite watts per mile. Simple math - anything divided by zero = infinity. So that doesn't mean the car is using very much power at all, just that standing still is not efficient.

If you want to see instantaneous power flow set up your MyView to show "Climate" and "Other." I don't have much use for the energy history.

I noticed that the "Other" bar gets longer during regen braking. Seems like that should be the other way around--I would think that it goes down. Energy goes away completely when outside temp gets into around 50F range.

Back