FFE won't charge after failed value charge

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexaCali

I'm experiencing a bizarre issue with my FFE:

First off, value charge never starts, regardless of how I set the start time (in the car, via the web site, etc). Doesn't matter if I use the stock level 1 charger or my level 2 Juicebox. Set value charge, plug the charger in, lights flash then go out (waiting for start time). Start time comes and goes, hours pass, but charge never starts.

Now here is where it gets interesting. If the Level 2 charger is plugged in when this happens then you are in for some fun. After the failed attempt to value charge, select "charge now" (either in the car or via the web site) and nothing happens. Unplug the charger, wait a minute, try again, nothing. Unplug the charger again, disconnect the charger from the wall, wait, re apply power to the charger, then plug the charger into the car. Lights flash, you hear the charger's relay close, but the car's charge ring goes dark and nothing happens. For some reason the car now refuses to take the charge. Now drag out the level 1 charger, plug it in and the car will charge. Re-boot the level 2 charger again and now unplug the level 1 charger and connect the level 2 charger and ta-da! Now the car will accept the level 2 charger!

But wait, there is more fun! I thought there might be a Ford Sync update to fix my woes so I checked the site, and sure enough there is an update (but no info on what the update does). I download, unziped and placed the update on a USB drive, started the car and pluged it in. Instead of being prompted to update the Sync software, the car starts complaining about an SD Nav card error! For some reason it thinks my USB drive is a SD Nav card! I tried several times with the same result. I've upgraded the sync software on my wife's Fusion and had no issues, but my FFE is giving me fits.

Any ideas on how to address these issues?

Thanks!

TexaCali said:
I'm experiencing a bizarre issue with my FFE:

First off, value charge never starts, regardless of how I set the start time (in the car, via the web site, etc). Doesn't matter if I use the stock level 1 charger or my level 2 Juicebox. Set value charge, plug the charger in, lights flash then go out (waiting for start time). Start time comes and goes, hours pass, but charge never starts.

Now here is where it gets interesting. If the Level 2 charger is plugged in when this happens then you are in for some fun. After the failed attempt to value charge, select "charge now" (either in the car or via the web site) and nothing happens. Unplug the charger, wait a minute, try again, nothing. Unplug the charger again, disconnect the charger from the wall, wait, re apply power to the charger, then plug the charger into the car. Lights flash, you hear the charger's relay close, but the car's charge ring goes dark and nothing happens. For some reason the car now refuses to take the charge. Now drag out the level 1 charger, plug it in and the car will charge. Re-boot the level 2 charger again and now unplug the level 1 charger and connect the level 2 charger and ta-da! Now the car will accept the level 2 charger!

But wait, there is more fun! I thought there might be a Ford Sync update to fix my woes so I checked the site, and sure enough there is an update (but no info on what the update does). I download, unziped and placed the update on a USB drive, started the car and pluged it in. Instead of being prompted to update the Sync software, the car starts complaining about an SD Nav card error! For some reason it thinks my USB drive is a SD Nav card! I tried several times with the same result. I've upgraded the sync software on my wife's Fusion and had no issues, but my FFE is giving me fits.

Any ideas on how to address these issues?

Thanks!

This is just a wild guess and shouldn't be considered as knowledgeable info, but..... (sounds a lot like politics!) ....... You might want to check to see if your vehicle registration number is the same as your car VIN. There may be an error with the registration causing the problem with charge times and Sync updates. This does not explain all the symptoms you shared, but electronics can be mighty strange sometimes. Good luck and post results!

To narrow the problem...are you dealing with a default value charge or a location based value charge? Default value charges you can set from the dashboard and should be completely independent of anything on the web or app.

And do you have any Go times set? If so try getting rid of them

I'm thinking maybe pull the fuse or disconnect the 12 V battery, try a reset?

I have a glimmer of why the L1 might clear the problem...the car sees it is so wimpy that it must start charging right away, thus overriding any requested value charge or go time windows.

Just a thought, but make sure the clock settings for AM, PM is set correctly.

Back