Do I need to "manage" the 120V EVSE?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studio460

My electrician couldn't come as scheduled, so I'm stuck with 120V charging for now. Do I need to "manage" the 120V EVSE? I assume the charging cycle is automatic, since it's controlled by the charger in the car. Also, do I just let it charge to "100%" (because "100%" is really only 80%-90%?). Here's a screenshot from my 120V EVSE charge right now:

EVSEscreen1.png

Nevermind. The charge cycle just completed, and the blue LEDs around the port turned off:

EVSEscreen2.png

Unlike the Leaf forum where battery degradation is a big topic, nobody here has yet reported any significant battery degradation, so it wouldn't appear to be a big factor.

That being said, for the very best in battery life:

1. Keep it cool. In the Valley in the summer, try to keep in the shade if practical. However, the battery is very well insulated and doesn't heat up as much as I would have supposed. At work, I park in the shade in the morning (west side of building) but have to move to the sun to charge up in the afternoon. One hot Valley afternoon I parked in direct sun, on hot pavement, and didn't plug in so there was no TMS. Several hours later the battery temperature was still well within normal range.

2. Charge only to the extent necessary to reach your next charging point with a comfortable reserve (i.e., don't fully charge as a matter of course). I generally run my car between about 80% and 20% on weekdays. Weekends I fully charge since my plans vary. As you correctly point out, 0% and 100% on the dash display represent a narrower span of the battery's true state of charge. The battery runs between 90% and 8% SOC approximately. The batteries seem to be happiest in a middle state of charge, neither heavily charged or heavily depleted. Since in normal operation, you will probably rarely choose to run the battery down to a very low level, that tends not to be the issue. The issue is that the charging process doesn't stop til complete unless you interrupt it manually.

3. Practice "just in time" charging to the extent practical. By this, I don't mean you have to think about timing this to the minute or even the hour. But when practical and convenient, defer charging rather than automatically charging upon arrival. At work I charge up after lunch rather than in the morning. If you know you won't be using the car for a few days, defer charging rather than leaving it fully charged.

So, ideally use the charge timer facility when at home to get the thing charged to whatever percent you like in the early morning then unplug. Ditto in the afternoon if you have workplace charging. If this is a hassle, don't worry about it or do it only when convenient.

As I said, the battery seems to be very robust, so if you don't find it convenient to follow my suggestions, the evidence suggests you will see little difference.

Personally, I try to do the above when practical (not always) because I need to wring 60,000 miles out of mine before the lease expires. I haven't seen any reports from high-mile FFE's to show how well they will be doing at that point.

By contrast, I have several friends with 3 year old, 30,000 mile Leafs that have suffered substantial and obvious reduction of range. If the FFE had a similar disease, we would have been starting to see reports by now.

michael said:
By contrast, I have several friends with 3 year old, 30,000 mile Leafs that have suffered substantial and obvious reduction of range. If the FFE had a similar disease, we would have been starting to see reports by now.
Man, that's both terrifying, and comforting (thanks to the experience of all the early-adopters that bought the first years' FFEs). Thanks for your advice, Michael!

This morning was interesting. I finished a 7-hour 120V top-off, since I just got it home, and wanted a full-charge to fool around today with my new electric toy. As soon as it got to 100%, I took it out for an early-morning drive around El Segundo to take some pictures. Metrics weren't ideal (lots of hills where I live), and I was less successful today in "real" driving, and burned up 20% of my charge in just a short while. One fairly steep grade, beginning a block up from The Strand, really sent the "acceleration" gauge diving, just to get moving a few inches up the hill.

Keep in mind that the range to empty display is highly variable based on your current driving (for example if you lose 10 miles of range going up a hill, don't expect to "get those back" on the downside of the hill..it simply doesn't work that way).
http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2013/10/12/the-guess-o-meter/

Tiny follow up to the suggestions michael made (above), which make good sense to me:
if you unplug while the car is charging, first press the lever on the handle for about a second, until the flow of current stops ... then pull handle from the car.
(That might reduce a slight gradual degradation of the electrical contacts, and so keep their resistance low.)

Just charge the car and forget about all the unplugging effort. The temperature control turns on when the car needs it (it will work a lot more when you get the 220V charging installed). You won't overheat the batteries or abuse them by charging them too far.

The problem with only partially charging, you have to know exactly what you are going to do the next day. If you do 10 miles of driving a day - well that might make sense to skip a day charging. But if you use anywhere near 20 or 30 miles - you might as well just charge it every time you park it. And be done with it.

If the car had a lot more range, it might make some level of sense to skip charging. But with 70-90 miles of range available, that 20 or 30 mile nick in the battery is a significant percentage. You might decide to do something different, and you're without a charge.

There are several threads here that have shown the battery only charges to about 90% and that is more than enough to protect the batteries from abuse.

I would guess the reason people get excited about 100% charging is from Leaf and Tesla. Leaf owners have reported degraded batteries. They don't have temperature management in those cars. So you have to treat the battery differently. In a Tesla, the car comes default to charge up to 85% of full battery. And the manual recommends you charge every day to that level for best battery life. If you are going on a trip, you can set the battery to charge to 100%. Not harmful to do, just don't do it every day.

So it is easy to see how those things could spill over to the FFE. They don't apply to this car. Plug it in and forget about it. Enjoy the car.

EVA said:
Plug it in and forget about it. Enjoy the car.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I plan on doing My schedule is highly variable (I go to work at a different time every day), so it would be difficult to integrate any kind of "custom" charging regimen. I just wasn't sure if the 120V EVSE was different somehow. Thanks!

Back