2014 vs 2015 Ford Focus

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damania

The article states that the 2015 actually lost handling in the facelift:

First impressions are that the new Focus feels as though the ride height has been raised by half an inch. It hasn't, but the body moves around more over bumps, the wheels seem to have more travel and the whole car feels more lively. Comfort is undoubtedly better, especially over small nibbly bumps that in the previous car would feed their way into the car as vibration, but the handling has lost a smidgeon of its precision in the process. The steering doesn't feel quite as scrupulously accurate and the body control, while still good, doesn't quite have that tied-down quality as before.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufacturers/ford/11096765/2015-Ford-Focus-facelift-first-drive.html

Once a product hits the market, manufacturers will continue to cost reduce it as much as possible. 2012 to 2013 saw the loss of the Homelink visor, the electrochromatic rear-view mirror, and the rain sensitive wipers. I neighbor of mine used to work for Ford in Michigan and they were always on the lookout to shave a quarter here and there.
My guess would be that more significant changes related to steering and suspension would actually wait till other changes are made since it would have to go through crash testing or other standards I'm not aware of. Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me this were true; however, having read many posts here on this site, some owners seem to have varying experience with the handling of their cars. The difference noted by the author may fall within the variations of production....or even as simple as tire alignment.

davideos said:
Once a product hits the market, manufacturers will continue to cost reduce it as much as possible. 2012 to 2013 saw the loss of the Homelink visor, the electrochromatic rear-view mirror, and the rain sensitive wipers. I neighbor of mine used to work for Ford in Michigan and they were always on the lookout to shave a quarter here and there.
I'd bet that those changes saved close to $100 per car between parts cost and installation time on the production line to connect the wires.

hybridbear said:
davideos said:
I'd bet that those changes saved close to $100 per car between parts cost and installation time on the production line to connect the wires.

I can see why Ford removed some features from the 2013 vehicle when they dropped the price of the vehicle by thousands. By giving new owners less, the 2013 and prior owners would have something to hang on to as extra for the money they spent. I agree, Ford probably saved a couple of hundred in dropping the homelink, etc. But the new owners got something less for the price drop and that perception matters.

focussed said:
hybridbear said:
davideos said:

I can see why Ford removed some features from the 2013 vehicle when they dropped the price of the vehicle by thousands. By giving new owners less, the 2013 and prior owners would have something to hang on to as extra for the money they spent. I agree, Ford probably saved a couple of hundred in dropping the homelink, etc. But the new owners got something less for the price drop and that perception matters.
The 2013 lost those features. Only the 2012 had them. The 2013 owners paid the same high price as 2012 but got less for their money.

Back