200 mile GM EV to be revealed on Monday

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmueller065

200 Mile Chevy "Bolt" expected to be revealed at the Detroit Auto Show on Monday:
“General Motors Co. plans to launch a $30,000 electric vehicle called the Chevrolet Bolt that would be capable of driving 200 miles on a charge by 2017, according to people familiar with the strategy, a move to gain ground on Tesla Motors Inc.”
Article:
http://insideevs.com/200-mile-30000-electric-chevrolet-bolt-expected-to-debut-at-2015-naias/

Yeah I read an article on this yesterday.
http://jalopnik.com/the-chevrolet-bolt-will-be-a-200-mile-electric-tesla-fi-1678649485

The planned 2017 Chevy "Bolt" electric vehicle for ~$30,000 with 200+mile range looks like the model to compare/beat in a couple years and its larger capacity too.
Hopefully that means the other manufacturers will have similar models in a couple years to compete with it.
My 3 year FFE lease will end in Sep 2017 - so perfect timing!

Key for me will be safety. I bought the FFE for the five star crash rating. It's only 5 stars compared to other cars in the same class so compared to an SUV it's not as safe as a five star SUV. An even smaller car could be even more unsafe. Still holding out for a slightly larger car with good range. I'll take 72 miles with better safety than 200 with less.

Still surprised I don't see posts written about safety. If Ford advertised the Leaf versus the FFE and showed the safety difference, I bet Ford would increase sales. Or at least sales people educated about the difference in crash rating. Why would a family choose a 4 star over a similarly (cheaper) priced 5 star?

The "Bolt" seriously? That's a horrible name. Please tell me that's a code name.

Nice idea - great specs - love it - wonder how GM is going to do it. Not a big fan of GM cars anyway, so I'll be a little skeptical that they will actually deliver.

Note that there are also rumors of an SUV and its called "CrossVolt".

Naming by committee...can't beat it LOL

(Bolt seems to be its real name as GM put a trademark on it. I wonder if they will use the Disney dog as a logo.)

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2015/Jan/naias/chevrolet/bolt/0112-bolt.html

It's looking pretty nice. Finally there's an SUV crossover design that doesn't cost $50k like the Toyota Rav 4. Hopefully it seats 5 unlike the 4 seat Volt. The extra trunk and head space will be very welcomed. And how cool will that auto Park and retrieve be!

They are describing the Bolt (Dolt??) as a "concept car". To me, this makes it even less real than the promised low-cost Tesla.

By contrast, the new Volt is scheduled as the 2016 model...this one is for-real, with still the actual availability and price left in question. This should kill sales of the present Volts, so there may be some good deals on those.

Looking at the pictures and video, it appears to be a 4 seater. Ugh. I have a family of five, so I can cross this off my list. This was the main reason I didn't get a Volt and decided on the FFE. I guess they're running the battery down the middle of the interior floor again.

michael said:
They are describing the Bolt (Dolt??) as a "concept car". To me, this makes it even less real than the promised low-cost Tesla.

By contrast, the new Volt is scheduled as the 2016 model...this one is for-real, with still the actual availability and price left in question. This should kill sales of the present Volts, so there may be some good deals on those.

According to earlier news releases on the Bolt, its planned for 2017.

I haven't seen anything from GM that says it will be available in 2017. I see mention from people who are familiar with it that it will be "launched" (whatever that means) in 2017. And I see LG Chem saying it's possible.

Please show me where GM says it will be on sale on 2017...I really hope it will be, but I see little chance of that.

The Volt was shown as a concept car in January 2007, and was first put on sale in December 2010, just shy of four years later.

Chicago Tribune had a short article about the Bolt. It said 2017. It also said the announcement eclipsed the 2015 Volt changes.

The picture of the car in the paper was not exactly beautiful to me. Orange. Stubby looking.

Car and Driver mentioned only that if they can get it out by 2017 but not a definitive yes/no. Other articles also mentioned a possible 2017 release. Here's hoping so though.

Dale

2012 FFE
2013 Volt

Right. I'm afraid these represent cases where mentions of 2017 have become understood as evidence that 2017 the the actual time. I really hope it will be, I'll be one of the first in line if so, but I'm skeptical.

Who knows if they will release it by 2017, who knows if Tesla will release a Cheaper Model by 2018 or 2019, but at least these companies have plans to sell these cars. We have seen nothing from Ford saying they are ever going to sell a 200 mile EV.

I agree, and frankly Energi looks pretty lame next to a 50 mile Volt. Our guys did a good job on the FFE compared to Leaf, Fit, Spark and its other 70 mile class competitors. I hope they will do the same when 200 miles becomes the defacto standard a few years from now.

Ford seems more interested in opening up a Silicon Valley office, marketing that, talking up Self-Driving cars more than they ever talk about the FFE.

Back