12 volt battery question

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnigma

Non EVs have a meter or at least an idiot light to keep tabs on the 12 volt battery charge status. Is there any way to do that on the FFE? It seems like a simple enough thing to have, since it's on pretty well ALL gas powered vehicles. That's probably more important than most of the other bells and whistles...

You can get an inexpensive Bluetooth monitor from Amazon or Aliexpress. I have one my Expedition because it's driven infrequently. It works great, just walk up to the car and it will pull the voltage data. I got the idea from the I-Pace forum. Early I-Paces had two 12V batteries and the failure of either one could render the vehicle inoperable to the extent that it would shut down while in motion.

Non EVs have a meter or at least an idiot light to keep tabs on the 12 volt battery charge status. Is there any way to do that on the FFE? It seems like a simple enough thing to have, since it's on pretty well ALL gas powered vehicles. That's probably more important than most of the other bells and whistles...
Buy one of these, I bought one because my battery was over 6 Y.O. and figured it was about done. I would check it every morning when I went out to the car (before starting) it was reading 12.2 - 11.8v so it was on the way out. I bought a battery from Walmart for $50 and swapped it out. it was not a perfect fit, I had to remove the top cover and make a new one to be sure the red lead was covered from accidental contact.

I replaced my 12 volt battery a couple months ago with a 26R. The specs and dimensions are close to the original. No modifications necessary.

When mine went out at 3 years, now 3 years ago, I went and found a used lithium battery since the charger only charges to 14.4 volts, the battery is good to 14.6. I paid $75 for a used one one that was not quite right, but I made it work. I don't think I will ever need to be changed it again.

Back