davideos

Re: My 23 KW battery is being replaced

Thu May 30, 2019 3:00 pm

When I got my new 33.5KWh battery, it was the 2nd time I had a battery pulled from the car. The first time, the battery was "repaired" and put back in. I suspect that the determination to replace the battery depends on the issue.

I heard that a car manufacturer has to support a product for 10 years. Which I think is one reason the EV1 was scrapped and even the Chrysler Turbine car. Not exactly sure; just what I suspect. I'm not concerned about a replacement battery being available, but rather, a replacement battery being affordable. I suspect that by the time a replacement battery is needed, I'll either be done with the car (16 years old) or there will be someone or company around who can rebuild it.

James

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:29 am

After 3 and half weeks of unanswered phone calls, five-word email responses and, no loaner car I got my car back with a refurbished 23kw battery pack. The experience with the dealer has been absolutely the worst I've ever experienced.

I tried changed it for the first time on the weekend and got up in the morning to a battery that won't charge past 76%, a coolant pump cycling on and office every minute or so, an no coolant in the coolant tank. So back to the dealer. Great.

The dealer is trying to tell me that there "was just an air bubble", which I know isn't true because there wasn't even enough coolant in the system to run the pump. I checked the work order for the battery replacement and notice there is no mention of a new coolant filter and coolant flush after the "new" battery was installed.

The dealer is refusing to do anything but top up the coolant. Just wondering if anyone might have a copy of the service manual to screen shot so I can show it to the dealer? I've just about had it with this whole situation.

Heima

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:46 pm

James,
I can't upload the service procedures, but if you pm an email address, I will send them there.
And yes, the procedures state:
Installation

1. NOTICE: If the battery is being replaced, the coolant filter must replaced or component damage
will occur.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Refer to: Cooling System Filling and Bleeding (303-03 Electric Powertrain Cooling, General Procedures).
2. If the battery is being replaced install a new coolant filter.
Refer to: Coolant Filter (303-03 Electric Powertrain Cooling, Removal and Installation).

davideos

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:40 pm

That's what they did to me....they forgot the coolant. I can't even imagine how they can forget that. Anyway, you were lucky to get to 76% charge...mine wouldn't make it nearly that far before it stopped with a charge fault. I was using an L2 charger. I suppose if you used L1, then it might be able to dissipate the heat a little more easily.

thanhdaica1985

Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:34 am

I want to confirm I also will get a refurbished battery pack, part # CM5Z-10B759-TARM. The strange thing is that my doesn't start after the installation. And an engineer will have to come out to do some reprogramming. I thought this part # has the lower capacity and it is as simple as a drop-in replacement. My car is a 2012 model. Any thoughts on this?

Return to “Batteries and Charging Forum”