Hey Ford has a new plug-in hybrid coming out

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmueller065

In Europe, and its a van but hey!
https://insideevs.com/ford-reveal-plug-in-hybrid-transit-van/

Finally some electrification news from Ford and a real product with pictures and everything ! LOL

Finally a series hybrid. I'm surprised it took someone else so long to come out with a series hybrid besides the BMW i3. Although the 31 mile EV range is pretty sad...

triangles said:
Finally a series hybrid. I'm surprised it took someone else so long to come out with a series hybrid besides the BMW i3. Although the 31 mile EV range is pretty sad...
Wasn't GEN 1 Volt a series Hybrid?

nope. the volt has some convoluted thing that is basically an evolution of the Prius. It has two electric motors, 1 is dual purpose as a traction motor and also acts as generator to charge the battery. Under long hill climbs the ICE together with both electric motors powers the car up the hill. So it's not a true series hybrid. While not exactly necessary required by definition, IMHO a series hybrid following the KISS engineering principle should be able to operate as a short range BEV should the REX die and be removed.

Back