Nissan LEAF owner considering a FFE

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
v_traveller said:
hcsharp said:
You will find the Volt uses about 50% more energy per mile (as in higher electric bill) even if you never drive it on gas. There's a price to pay for lugging around all that extra weight.
I have an FFE and a Volt, and the Volt does not use 50% more energy per mile than the FFE while in EV mode. I see virtually no difference in electric energy consumption between the two during my commute. ...
I stand corrected. I was basing my observations on the Volts that I'm familiar with, both of which use about 370 Wh/mi in EV mode during the summer. Our FFE uses about 260 Wh/mi in similar conditions (Volt = 43% higher). The EPA 5-cycle estimate for the Volt is 360 Wh/mi (350 for 2013) while the FFE is 320 Wh/mi, so the Volt consumes roughly 10% more electricity according to the EPA, despite worse performance in EV mode.

hcsharp said:
The EPA 5-cycle estimate for the Volt is 360 Wh/mi (350 for 2013) while the FFE is 320 Wh/mi, so the Volt consumes roughly 10% more electricity according to the EPA, despite worse performance in EV mode.
Exactly. In the EPA test cycle (which exercises the car as a hybrid), the Volt consumes 360 Wh/mi from the wall, but that's in conjunction with the energy it also consumes from the pump. So, per mile, the electric energy input required is offset by the gasoline energy consumed. Overall, the Volt consumes a lot more energy (electric and gasoline) than your typical EV. Compared to the FFE, the Volt is simply less efficient.

The consumption of gasoline is particularly inefficient (compared to a pure EV). It is estimated that the production of one gallon of gasoline consumes about 7 kWh of electricity (at the refinery, etc.). Most EVs could travel at least 25 miles directly on that same 7 kWh. For typical gasoline car to travel the same 25 miles, it needs that 7 kWh (indirectly through the gallon of gasoline) plus all the other energy costs associated with extracting the oil, refining it into gasoline, transporting the gasoline to the pump, etc.. Amazingly inefficient.

Cyellen said:
Greetings!

First gen/2011 Nissan LEAF owner (actually leasee!) here, now considering a Ford Focus Electric for when my lease runs out in June. I was keen to lease a new BMW i3, but I think the financing and availability questions about that car will take it off the table for me. I'd love to stay pure electric, so my choices are pretty limited - another LEAF, FFE, or get a Volt and drive very carefully :)

I'd love to get some current owner perspectives - and if there is a former LEAF owner like me who has already made the switch, I'd love to hear what you think!

Here's a bit about me:
My commute is about 30 miles, but I also like to be able to use the car on the weekends. I'm looking forward to heated seats in my next car, and I love all the bells and whistles I get with the LEAF (bluetooth audio, charging timer, backup camera). I live in AZ, so cold isn't an issue, but the heat has already claimed my LEAF battery (thankfully it was covered under the "new" capacity warranty).

Ok...so I'll hush and let you brag on about the car - what do you love? what makes you crazy? what should I know?

Thanks in advance!

Styling, Styling, Styling.... I commute 30 miles and I'm in NE, 13f this morning, Range was 55 miles with Auto Heat at 68f, Came home with 20miles left. It's quick off the line, it's very comfortable even at 6'7".
I like that the J1772 Plug is on the Fender in case I rear end someone, while playing with the Ford MyTouch etc..., that I could still, maybe, plug it in.

I think the MyTouch is significant better than the Leaf's Nav. Power Seat option with more flexibility. I like the anonymity of the Focus and only the people "in the know" will recognize the FFE. Aston Martin front Grille.

I don't like the little panel next to the go-pedal. every time I come off the brake and get on the "gas" my foot clunks a rather unsturdy piece of plastic in the "transmission tunnel" Sounds Cheap....

1) Styling
2) My Touch Sync thing
3) I Fit in the Focus.
4) Lease deal at 0.25% and 43% residual and the economics made it work me.
Go for it Cyellen
H

Back