Why is Ford taking so long? It's not rocket science ...

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FocusEVGuy

As a guy who actually owns and drives an electric Ford Focus, and someone who long ago worked for Ford Motor Company, I can't believe it's taking them this long to bring the car to market. I see the gas-guzzler version of the new Focus on the streets already, and from experience I know that electric vehicles are MUCH simpler than gasoline powered cars. Come on Ford! Please send one up my way ASAP!

FocusEVGuy
Minneapolis, MN
http://www.simonfamily.us/FocusEV/FocusEV.htm

Welcome to the Ford Focus Electric forum, FocusEVGuy!

I checked out your electric Ford Focus, pretty cool stuff. While I go agree that electric vehicles are overall simpler than gasoline cars, I think it's taking Ford a long time because it's new. Anything new is always harder, even if it's easier, if that makes any sense!

Have you noticed the new trend in EV news? It seems the "negative" less enthusiastic side is growing and could Ford be hedging their bets about the actual introduction date and of course price? As a Wisconsin resident who has been waiting quite literally years to be allowed to purchase an EV I find myself becoming just a bit discouraged. Any comments?

Aimeo88 said:
Have you noticed the new trend in EV news? It seems the "negative" less enthusiastic side is growing and could Ford be hedging their bets about the actual introduction date and of course price? As a Wisconsin resident who has been waiting quite literally years to be allowed to purchase an EV I find myself becoming just a bit discouraged. Any comments?

Don't know how close to IL you are but just like yourself I thought the Focus EV would actually make it here first (Chicago was listed as a launch city and of course we have an actual Ford mfg. plant here!) but alas, it was not to happen. I had also reserved a Nissan LEAF way back on 4/20/10 and my car will actually be here sometime in this November. There are a few dealer's in the far NW 'burbs of Chicago that have LEAF demo units as well so at the very least you could check to see if a LEAF might work for you. In 2012 you might see even more EV's than the Focus EV from other companies but at least more than likely through the end of 2011 the LEAF will be pretty much it.

hey red, is Chicago no longer a launch city (is there an updated list) or did you get tired of waiting - how is the Leaf search going ?

rfruth said:
hey red, is Chicago no longer a launch city (is there an updated list) or did you get tired of waiting - how is the Leaf search going ?

'rfruth' -- I would guess 'launch city' is a misnomer as Ford said that the Focus EV would show up in CA and NY first by year end and then 'others' later -- I did see a post over on the LEAF forum that someone had talked to Ford and said more than likley we might see the Focus EV by next March but I'm sure it could simply be wishful thinking. As far as waiting, I see more and more '12 Focus ICE's on the road and it really is a handsome car -- really like it in that Titanium Gray and Red but it simply isn't available in EV form so I'm sure I'll go through accepting delivery of a new LEAF sometime during November. Other than 'orphan's' the Chevy Volt still isn't out here but that may even beat the Focus EV to Chicago! I've owned a few Ford cars in the past and would have loved to have bought a Focus EV but they lost this sale to a new Nissan LEAF --- I will say though that I'm waiting to see the Ford C-Max Energi or plug-in hybrid as a possible replacement for a VW Routan minivan as gas prices will continue to rise; for that vehicle I need 'extended range' as it's our long trip car for the new C-Max should give us enough passenger room and cargo space if it's all what the the car reviewer's say it is (very popular in Europe).

I certainly hope I reading the tea leaves incorrectly, but there seems to be a trend of antiEV building in the media. Granted there are a few encouraging commercials playing from time to time, but there are too many other "news" articles playing to the antiEV side. They seem to take different tactics, but the basic premise is the same. I can only hope that I will be allowed to purchase one before the next election when the possibility of a Republican president killing the movement and the short term low gas prices damping down any remaining interest take hold.

Back