I installed my own charging station last week

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitgallman

An SPX RESIDENTIAL MODEL. There were 4 current settings, 12, 16, 24, & 32 amps at 240V. I had to pass a test on the NEC code to get an electrical permit to do my own work. I chose the 32 amp setting, using a 40 amp breaker and 8/2 NM-B Romex wire. Total cost is $1069.
The inspector will come next Friday. But why rush him, Ford won't sell me an EV Focus until next Spring at the earliest.
[email protected]

Wow great job!

How long did it take to install it?
Was it difficult or was it pretty straight forward?

Do you have any pictures?

Will you be charging a Ford Focus Electric with this charger? :lol:

(how do you add pictures?)
It doesn't seem hard now that I'm done.
ordered stuff from SPX, wiring, breaker, conduit, electrical box, fittings from Lowes
read the installation instructions, contacted county building code dept
studied NEC 2008 for 3 days to take homeowner test to work on own wiring
took 2 hour test, got electrical permit $62.75 for permit
Installed charger box on wall
ran #8 THHN inside watertight conduit from breaker panel outside up through soffet to metal electrical box in the attic
ran 8/2 NM-B from SPX box in garage through two 2X4 wall caps with 3/4" drill, stapled to side of stud
inside attic I could only work 2 to 3 hours a day due to heat (6 AM to 8:30)
Stapled 60' of NM-B every 4' or less along trusses being careful not to step off the truss and fall through the ceiling drywall
made connection inside steel junction box between the THHN and NM-B using blue wirenuts
Called building standards to schedule final inspection
inspector walked down the wiring, tightening the junction box ground, marking the white NM-B wire to tell future electricians that it was a phase lead and not the neutral.
At the breaker panel he said I should have connected the wires to the breaker and put the breaker inplace but leaving it switched off. He wired the breaker and put it in for me. He switched it on. Nothing started smoking. He signed the inspection sticker and took off.

I borrowed a Chevy Volt from work to try out the charging station on. in 45 minutes the Volt went from 27 miles to 34 miles of charge available. Station rated at 32 amps at 240V for Ford Focus electric.

No, I don't think this SPX is 'smart'.
Our power company (my employer) does not yet offer 'time of day' power rates.
Duke has offered the first 150 (non-employee) EV buyers in the Duke service area free smart charging stations so they can monitor power use and its effect on the grid.

https://portal.duke-energy.com/OurCompany/News/Pages/2011033101-Duke_Offer_Charging_Stations_Electric_Car.aspx

I meant to add to previous notes that part of the work was to add all the major electical loads on my house to show the service/supply wires and main breakers could handle the new load. See NEC 2008 appendix D. I have a gas hot water heater and heat pump backup furnace. So I only use 77 to 85 of the 100 amp service when the EV charger is included.

Whit Gallman

Thanks very much for outlinging the process! That doesn't sound too hard afterall - if we do get a Ford Focus Electric maybe I'll get my husband to see about installing the charger himself!

(I don't know how to post pictures on the forum)

Whit the nice thing about this charger is that the cord with the j1772 plug is nice and thick so it stays cool while charging... As opposed to the other SPX charger with the round black box.

Did you pay $750 for the charger? It should work with the Focus EV, but then again the Volt had some issues with other chargers.

yet that hasn't stopped a handful of companies from jumping headlong into the world of charging stations. Early on, AeroVironment was really the only company that had devoted itself to developing and building Level II home charging units

An SPX RESIDENTIAL Posture. There were 4 actual settings, 12, 16, 24, & 32 amps at 240V. I had to overtake a test on the NEC write to get an electrical consent to do my own run. I chose the 32 amp mounting, using a 40 amp quarryman and 8/2 NM-B Romex accommodate. Total toll is $1069.
The investigator leave come close Fri. But why travel him, Fording won't deceive me an EV Conform until succeeding Fountain at the earliest.

Message: I studied NEC2008, did a load analysis got a building permit and had inspector come when I put in a 240v, 30a electric vehicle charging station last year. I've had the breaker trip when I had a lot of load on it but not over 70 amps worth. ( house A/C, clothes dryer, electric car charger) I thought the 100a main was just old and changed it, but still having a problem with the new breaker tripping. When I go to the breaker box I find the upper half of the 100a main breaker and the 40a charger breaker about 20F hotter than the lower half. (used a digital thermometer gun 158F upper 135F lower) So does that mean maybe a connection on one phase is not tight?

Back