Charging to 80%

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Right123

Hello FFE Forum, Im a new member and I just bought my FFE! However, The question thats been fumbling in my head is about charging. I was wondering if charging the car to 100% is bad for the battery because Nissan has a battery life extender mode that only charges the battery of the Leaf to 80%? If so is there a way to set the car to charge to only 80%? Thank you.

I was wondering this as well! I know that lithium ion batteries are most stresses when below 10% and above 90% capacity. Tesla manages this by only charging to 90% of the actual capacity despite the fact that the car says 100% full to the driver. Didn't know if when a FFE was at 100% the cells were indeed fully charged or if we as drivers should only really charge to 90% if we wanted to extend the life of the battery.

Sean

I was hoping to see this as a S/W configurable option. Not so much for battery life, but because I live on a steep hill that goes about 1.5miles. If I shift to low I can pick up anywhere between 7-9 miles of range by the time I'm at the bottom. It would be nice if Ford would let us charge to say 80% or 90% in order for those of us who can take advantage of quick regenerative starts in the morning. If it adds battery life, why then certainly! I would want it to be user configurable though.

philly_ev said:
My understanding is the the FFS only charges to 80%, but it shows to us as 100%.
It's definitely not as low as 80%, it's probably more like 95%. Very likely the battery is never actually charged to 100% either (which can be harmful).

My thinking...

The advertised total capacity of the FFE battery is 23 kWh. The well-known usable capacity 19.5 kWh, which is already 84% of the total right off the bat. But, the battery is never completely discharged to 0% either (also harmful). So, if we make a reasonable guess that a "buffer" charge of about 10% (2.3 kWh) is maintained at all times, then the total level of charge is something like 2.3 kWh + 19.5 kWh = 21.8 kWh.

Thus, the FFE battery, fully charged, probably holds something like 21.8 kWh. This is about 95% of the total capacity.

Back