Got my Level 2 EVSE installed today

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmueller065

Finally have my Level 2 EVSE installed. Took advantage of the $2500 "discount" the local power company offers.

I went with the SPX (Now Bosch) Power Xpress simply because that was the one they recommended (I did check on here and noticed that at least one person was using this guy without issue). Even have it installed on a plug!

The installer did goof: Its set to 30A and he installed 20A breakers but a quick trip to Home Depot for some 30A ones fixed that problem.

You might want to check with the installer, have him correct it...

I don't remember exactly but a 30a circuit requires different gauge wire, and it's likely the installer used the smaller gauge (and cheaper) wire since he was installing a 15amp breaker.

Nope the unit is correctly configured for 30A (including the cabling) he just had a miscue installing the breakers--I made sure several times during the ordering process that it would be correctly configured for 30A.

jmueller065 said:
Nope the unit is correctly configured for 30A (including the cabling) he just had a miscue installing the breakers--I made sure several times during the ordering process that it would be correctly configured for 30A.
Are you really sure? Because if the EVSE is supplying 30A to the EV, then the entire circuit needs to be rated for 40A, due to the NEC 80% rule. This includes the wiring and the breaker*.

WP

* unless you're using a 100% rated breaker, which most aren't.

Well I can't be 100% sure since I didn't do the wiring myself. The installation is approved by the power company--I don't think they'd let something that isn't to code be used.

According to the NEC book when using 30 amp breaker you should use 10 AWG copper wire.
8 AWG copper wire is good for 50 amps. Note: For environments were the heat gets above 86 F will require a ampacitie of the conductors to be derated.

LOL I appreciate the concern.

I didn't just call joe podunk electrician to install this. Its part of a nationwide EV program run by Bosch/SPX (was SPX then Bosch purchased them): http://www.pluginnow.com/residential

The main line running through the house is 8 gauge aluminum wire which is switched to 8 gauge copper in a J-Box (properly jumped, covered with corrosion resistant compound, and insulated) in the garage which is run through conduit to the socket.

I figured I'd add our EVSE info to this thread rather than start a new one.

We received our FFE on 7/3/14 and today, 8/4/14, was our first day to charge with the 240V charger rather than the 120V charger.

Our apartment paid for the cost of the EVSE and one of their maintenance staff, who is a licensed electrician, did the installation.

The total cost of the ClipperCreek HCS-40 was $606.32 including shipping.

Below are a couple of pics.

i've got a guy coming out this week to look at adding a wall outlet to the garage. what should i make sure needs to do as far as wiring? he's a shade tree electrician but he must be good cause my business uses him for a bunch of stuff :)

blackbeasst said:
i've got a guy coming out this week to look at adding a wall outlet to the garage. what should i make sure needs to do as far as wiring?
The points made earlier are good: wire size must match the current you will use (8 gauge is safe for 30 A. [that's slightly more than the spec'd max. for an FFE], 10 gauge OK if your EVSE will deliver less. A good installer checks that sort of spec. Breakers MUST also match your current, e.g. a 40 A. pair for a 30 A. load. Have a good earth ground path.
Minor: will look neater if the outlet is mounted so that your wire will hang straight down from the outlet, for the plug you will use. (Mine was 180 degrees off at first, so I cut power then rotated it in the housing.)

unplugged said:
What is the front sticker on your bumper? Is it for the carpool lane?
It is a carpool lane sticker from New York, the state where the car was originally leased. Minnesota does not offer any such perk for EVs, but I haven't removed the stickers yet. They help the car stand out as different even more. Since we've gotten it lots of ppl have approached us in parking lots, etc to ask about it.

hybridbear said:
It is a carpool lane sticker from New York...
I thought it a bit odd to have a carpool sticker on the left front of the car. The only time another driver could read the sticker would be when you are OUT of the carpool lane. (And then, it doesn't help much to read the sticker.)

But the left front of the car is the perfect place for automated readers/cameras to spot it along the highway (especially if the carpool lanes are the left lanes).

jmueller065 said:
But the left front of the car is the perfect place for automated readers/cameras to spot it along the highway (especially if the carpool lanes are the left lanes).
Had my Square D by Schneider Electric EV230WS EVlink 30-Amp Generation 2.5 Enhanced Model Indoor Electric Vehicle Charging Station installed yesterday and to say I love it would be an understatement ;^). I think I'm the only person on here who went with the Square D? Reviews I read on it gave it outstanding results. Hope I made the right choice but so far so good.

Snowball 14 said:
Had my Square D by Schneider Electric EV230WS EVlink 30-Amp Generation 2.5 Enhanced Model Indoor Electric Vehicle Charging Station installed yesterday and to say I love it would be an understatement ;^). I think I'm the only person on here who went with the Square D?

I have a Schneider EVLink. Installed last April after 4 months on the stock trickler. I have been very pleased with it. Handle is very sturdy, fits just right. Cord doesnt get as warm as they do on the public chargers I use.

When it comes to wires used for connecting a charging station a few thing you will need to keep in mind. Wire gauge, wire insulation type, and conductor material, and length of the wires are important. First conductor materials copper, or aluminum, and copper being the better conductor. So the current rating for copper will be higher than aluminum. The larger the wire the more current it can carry. The wire insulation determines the temperature rating. The higher the rating the more current the wire can carry.

jmueller065 said:
We have no automated readers in California. How would they work? Do they count the people in the car for those who don't have stickers? How would they know whether you are a carpooler or an EV? Of course, we have transponders, but nothing as advanced as optical readers. I don't understand how they would take the place of, or even assist police in enforcing carpool lanes, though. I guess I am confused because I have never heard of these things before, especially for carpools.

unplugged said:
jmueller065 said:
We have no automated readers in California. How would they work? Do they count the people in the car for those who don't have stickers? How would they know whether you are a carpooler or an EV? Of course, we have transponders, but nothing as advanced as optical readers. I don't understand how they would take the place of, or even assist police in enforcing carpool lanes, though. I guess I am confused because I have never heard of these things before, especially for carpools.
If the sensor doesn't "see" your EV sticker, a camera could take a picture of your car (front or rear). Then, a computer could "read" your license plate and send you a citation for being in the carpool lane without a sticker.

As for telling whether or not you were allowed to be in the carpool lane anyway (from the number of people in the car), I dont' know. Unless they have humans look at the photos too.

WattsUp said:
As for telling whether or not you were allowed to be in the carpool lane anyway (from the number of people in the car), I dont' know. Unless they have humans look at the photos too.
Since you are from CA, and we don't have such readers, do you know of any state that does? I cannot find ANYTHING about optical readers being used in traffic enforcement from a Google search.

Back