Ford: Expect Electric Cars To Account For 10%-25% Of Sales B

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fordfocuselectric

The auto maker is gearing up to launch the all-new Ford Focus Electric in the US later this year and C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid in 2012, and its plan to introduce electric cars in China comes after the government pledged in March to cut the country's carbon output by 17% by 2015.

Ford plans to take a demonstration fleet of new energy vehicles to showcase in China later this year. Ford vehicles sales in China have increased 19% in the first quarter of 2011 compared to the first quarter of 2010.

Although overall vehicle sales in China have slowed, Ford doesn't seem concerned, stating that the current sales rate is more rational and likely sustainable. Ford plans to continue focusing on selling Ford bran vehicles in China in the short term. Ford will introduce 15 new models in China by 2015 - the Ford Focus Electric forum is willing to bet the Ford Focus Electric will be one of those models!

http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2011/04/18/ford-expect-electric-cars-account-10-25-sales-2020/

fordfocuselectric said:
The auto maker is gearing up to launch the all-new Ford Focus Electric in the US later this year...

Is there anything from any where more specific than "later this year"? Any straws in the wind, any guesses, any rumors? Things are awfully quiet.

It's good to know I'm not the only one that saw this - it's quite suspicious. One thing I notice is that Ford is referring to it as the 2012 Ford Focus Electric which really means they could get away with it being available anytime before 2013... The Ford Focus Electric doesn't really have to be done when the rest of the 2012 vehicles are released part way through 2011.

Actually there are lots of news articles etc that are calling it the 2013 Ford Focus Electric so it's really anyone's guess.

I think there was a thread on the forum here with people guessing when they thought the Focus Electric would be available and for how much $$

Is the quote, of the Ford Focus Electric only being available next year, in that video you posted? I didn't see it...

dreamer said:
Is the quote, of the Ford Focus Electric only being available next year, in that video you posted? I didn't see it...

It's about 15 to 20 seconds in, wait until after the Jag ad to play ... background shows Bill Ford at the podium

Ahhh ... I also posted something on the AutoWeek site for this asking for clarification and they posted this, so we're still waiting but hopefully it still be this year:

AW Moderator wrote:
@Late74c: Good catch- you're right. Ford has not officially delayed the launch of the Focus EV. It says it will arrive late this year. Other Ford electric vehicles will arrive next year.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110518/VIDEONEWS/110519830#ixzz1MtDPLWyl

Thanks for the great info!

I sure hope the 2012 Ford Focus Electric doesn't turn into a 2013 Ford Focus Electric!

Thanks klaus ... just wish there was more info out there, not that I'm desperate or anything but I have been checking alternatives as better weather seems to be finally coming to Chicago. Last weekend (in the rain) had an opportunity to drive a Fiat 500 Sport (they expect an EV version in 2012) and saw my first Chevy Volt in the wild so to speak, very close to my neighborhood. Chicago Chevy dealers may have less than half a dozen between them -- this Volt passed quickly but appeared to have out of state temp tags (from the color appeared to be WI, car was white) and not our distinctive yellow ones. The Fiat looks like it would make a nice EV, pretty much a 2-person commuter due to tiny back seat but it drove much smoother than smart (which we also own) and had an upright (taller) driving position than a MINI. I jsut hope that Ford can capitalize on those areas of the country NOT being serviced by the LEAF as I really think that the early adopters (like myself) will only wait so long.

I'm near Portland so Ford will be sending the Ford Focus Electric here - but I do agree that if they hit markets where the Leaf isn't available it would really help Ford gain a leg up in those places.

But - why isn't the Leaf available everywhere? I know Nissan has excuses about cold weather and recharge stations etc, but really it comes down to they don't have enough of them available for sale. Ford could very well have the same problem with the Focus Electric - if Ford is on top of it, they could roll out nation wide if they could go all out and produce 10000+ a month ;)

Back