compressor sound?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vetboy45

Does anyone else have an occasional sound like a compressor or a pump coming from the motor compartment? It's pretty loud and I have never heard it from my tesla so I was just wondering what it is.

That's possible, athough I've always assumed it was a pump supplying pressure for the mechanical brakes. I sometimes feel a bit of feedback through the brake pedal that seems to coincide with the pump activity (which, to my ear, is a sort of soft "buzzing" noise).

When I start and stop is when I have noticed it so it is likely the same thing you're hearing. WattsUp - it is pretty hard to hear from inside the car with the windows up but pretty darn loud when outside the car or in a garage. I only ask because one of the coolest things about driving an electric is how it silently starts and moves, especially when giving someone a ride or just demonstrating the car. The big buzzing noise kind of ruins the effect.

Could it be the noise generated to make pedestrians aware the car is moving? I think it makes it under 3 mph. Just wondering...

DavidJohnson said:
Could it be the noise generated to make pedestrians aware the car is moving? I think it makes it under 3 mph. Just wondering...
I don't think it makes such a noise. Ford was entertaining various noises for such a purpose but since it hasn't been Federally mandated (yet) the FFE doesn't.

I'd guess that what they are hearing is a vacuum pump. The mechanical brakes are, most likely, operated just like the ICE version and use vacuum as a boost. In addition, since so many other systems on an ICE car use vacuum to operate (like the entire HVAC system) it is very likely that they just put in a vacuum system to make use of the existing parts.

My 2013 definitely makes the noise. It's kind of hard to describe but, it sort of sounds like a rattle under the hood. Hope this helps. :p

I also hear the sound most times right after I open the door or a couple seconds. Sometimes, it is accompanied by a clicking sound. On occasion, right after I plug it in, also. I have never heard a sound exactly like it before, but I'm guessing some sort of pump.

I think the noise is in a compressor for the brake booster.

It is much louder than the Volt, however, it is much quieter and faster than what I had to use for my homemade BEV Ranger.

I was in my garage this morning just before my FFE was scheduled to precondition when this compressor/pump kicked in. It ran for a good 5 minutes before the HVAC turned on to start the precondition.

Back