what is driving range for the new ALL ELECTRIC

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdcrunchman

I cannot find any information on the range.... Other details like the voltage, current, size and weight of the battery pack for the new car.... how about releasing some of this info. What will be the cost to replace this battery, as we all know the average lifetime of Lithium Ion batteries are only 5 years before they have to be replaced... typical costs are $18,000 for a 25 KW pack.

Also, where is FORD getting these batteries... PLEASE tell me they are not made in China.....

john

The batteries are sourced from Compact Power out of Troy Michigan. They are a sub of the Korean company LGChem, so the batteries will probably come from Korea first, then the US sub.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-selects-partner-for-focus-ev-batteries.html

jdcrunchman said:
I cannot find any information on the range.... Other details like the voltage, current, size and weight of the battery pack for the new car.... how about releasing some of this info. What will be the cost to replace this battery, as we all know the average lifetime of Lithium Ion batteries are only 5 years before they have to be replaced... typical costs are $18,000 for a 25 KW pack.

Also, where is FORD getting these batteries... PLEASE tell me they are not made in China.....

john

There is no data released on the driving range of the Ford Focus Electric - yet!

But one could assume it's near the 100 miles that the Nissan Leaf gets. I sure hope it's more than the 60 mile range that the Smart Electric Drive EV gets!

FastCAP systems is building an ultra-capacitor capable of beating Lithium in watt density storage, but they are about 2 years away from releasing them as practical products, and FORD needs to be aware of this technology.

But dumping massive amounts of current into these babies are going to be limited by the wire size, so I ran the numbers of what it would take to charge a 25 kwh ultra-capacitor battery in 15 minutes of constant current, and the wires needed to carry this kind of current is huge, something like a diameter of 1 inch of copper or smaller if silver. 260 amps for a 380 volt system for 15 minutes. So, a more practical way to charge these is through a big ass induction system. A very large inductor can be applied underneath an induction plate then converted to DC internally, to charge up the capacitor through induction. Using the principle of a transformer, where many many more turns in the primary windings will not need as much current. Plus no physical connections would be necessary. Car would pull up on top of the induction plate and more then 100 KW ( 4 times the capacity) would charge it in 15 minutes, assuming a 25kwh capacitor, making cross country driving possible. Heck man. whenever I stop to get gas, I always like to take more then 15 mins, taking a dump, getting a drink, or filling up my cooler.

Other possibilities of moving a car down a road is to embed coils in the road, and using a magnetic wave, push the car along the road not unlike maglev propulsion. The wave can be programmed for freeway speeds, so cars can go at same speed (70 mph). A normal electric engine would be needed to accellerate the car to 70 mph to "lock it onto the wave", once locked on, the wave pushes the car along the road. This locking mechanism can also be "detected" by the road, and each car would have an electronic code for billing the driver by the mile.

Obviously an amazing amount of engineering must be done to work this out, but in theory, it might work.

John

jdcrunchman said:

john

You can find some of those numbers in this post

http://fordfocuselectric.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=123

All these specs seem reasonable. I only wish that Ford would eventually use Ultra-caps for their battery banks... they are all new, and will be available within a few years, and I'm told their capacity is about 25 KWH.

Back