would you recommend a FFE to a friend?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vetboy45

I am strongly considering leasing a focus electric and wanted to find out how happy or not everyone is with their purchase. I went out on a limb and purchased a Tesla model S, by far the most expensive car I've ever purchased, and would highly recommend it without reservation to other early adopters. Can you say something similar about the FFE? If so, why? If not, why?

My FFE is the best car I have ever owned, and one of the best I've ever driven. It just feels like a great car, probably one of the best in its class, electric or otherwise. Luckily, I've not experienced (after about 3 months of ownership and 4000 miles) any of the teething problems others here have reported. So, right now, I am super happy with mine. And, having been a non-domestic car owner my entire life, I am extremely impressed (and proud) with the Ford quality (maybe it really is Job #1). :cool:

So, yes, for someone with appropriate driving needs (radius of about 60 miles from home, for "range comfort"), vehicle usage (doesn't need to go pick up lumber), and ability to live the "EV lifestyle" (good access to charging), I would recommend the FFE hands down.

But, why lease an FFE if you already have a Model S, the creme de la creme?

----

Edit: Okay, glowing praise aside, my biggest gripe with the FFE is the current state of the MyFordTouch software. While it does work, it has some annoying bugs and is a bit over-complicated. For non-technical people, it could be a turn-off. (I am a technical person, so I can cope) ;) That said, software can always be improved... and I have high hopes for the pending 3.5 update (I currently have the buggy 3.1, as most of us do). So, for now I'm giving the state of MFT a pass. As for the rest of car -- its physical aspects and performance as an EV -- I stand by my original comments above.

WattsUp said:
My FFE is the best car I have ever owned, and one of the best I've ever driven. It just feels like a great car, probably one of the best in its class, electric or otherwise. Luckily, I've not experienced any of the teething problems other have reported. So, right now, I am super happy with mine. And, having been a non-domestic car owner my entire life, I am extremely impressed (and proud) with the Ford quality (maybe it really is Job #1). :cool:

So, yes, for someone with appropriate driving needs (radius of about 60 miles from home, for "range comfort"), vehicle usage (doesn't need to go pick up lumber), and ability to live the "EV lifestyle" (good access to charging), I would recommend the FFE hands down.

But, why lease an FFE if you already have a Model S, the creme de la creme?

Awesome. Glad you are impressed with the focus. The reason that I want another electric vehicle is to get away from ICE vehicles altogether. The model s has so impressed me we're never getting an ICE ever again and the wife needs to drive something. We realized that we hardly ever drive more than 30 miles in a day so the model s is overkill for our needs and, while it's worth it, it is expensive. The leaf is so damn ugly the wife refuses to drive one. All the other available full sized cars still need gasoline (volt, etc).

I guess my biggest worry is that Ford is selling the FFE as a compliance vehicle and really has no interest in the tech or the owners satisfaction post-purchase.

WattsUp said:
Edit: Okay, glowing praise aside, my biggest gripe with the FFE is the current state of the MyFordTouch software. While it does work, it has some annoying bugs and is a bit over-complicated. For non-technical people, it could be a turn-off. (I am a technical person, so I can cope) ;) That said, software can always be improved... and I have high hopes for the pending 3.5 update (I currently have the buggy 3.1, as most of us do). So, for now I'm giving the state of MFT a pass. As for the rest of car -- its physical aspects and performance as an EV -- I stand by my original comments above.

Thanks for the update. I am pretty good with technical things and thought the system was ok. Can you elaborate on the bugs? Is the software specific to the FFE or is it in other cars too? I'd worry if it's just in the FFE because there would be less reason to fix it given the limited production numbers for the model.

vetboy45 said:
Thanks for the update. I am pretty good with technical things and thought the system was ok. Can you elaborate on the bugs? Is the software specific to the FFE or is it in other cars too? I'd worry if it's just in the FFE because there would be less reason to fix it given the limited production numbers for the model.

The My Ford Touch system is in just about every car Ford makes these days (even the trucks now--last summer was the first year you could get it in the F-150).

The version running in most of the FFE's (3.1) is at least a version behind as most all of the other Ford MFT's are running 3.5 (as is some of the newer FFE's that have been built recently).

Version 3.5 fixes quite a lot of the really annoying bugs with 3.1 and runs noticeably faster as well.

jmueller065 said:
Version 3.5 fixes quite a lot of the really annoying bugs with 3.1 and runs noticeably faster as well.
Not to mention that it appears that the 3.5 update for the FFE will have some new EV-specific features, as seen in this video (released in March):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IOixDw4_cc

So, it doesn't appear that Ford has "forgotten" about the FFE with regards to software. And some people picking up newer FFEs have reported that this update is already installed on their car, but the rest of us are waiting to be notified.

There are also many review videos to be found on YouTube. I watched all I could find before I got my FFE. Just search YouTube for "ford focus electric review".

Would I recommend it to my friends. Absolutely! In fact my Dad is looking to get one now due to having been suitably impressed with my experience so far and the economics of it all when leasing. The Model S is my current dream car but I don't yet have that kind of money so the FFE will have to do. The only real regret I have is getting the 10.5K miles per year instead of 12K as I want to drive this car all the time just to drive it. Only got enough for what we needed however.

I'm still loving mine. Where you at vetboy, if you want I can swap cars for a day :D

I've had mine for a month now. So far put about 750 miles on it, I leased it for 10,500 per year. At this point its the best car I have driven in terms of refinement. Mainly because its so quiet. My other car is a Honda S2000 with many mods so it's a night and day difference. Before that I had a BMW 330ci and the FFE is a more comfortable car.

I haven't had any real problems with it at this point. One minor problem was a bug where it showed + 75 on recharge despite just starting to drive it. Another quality concern is slight rattling speaker and door trim is NOT as refined as BMW (to be expected I think.)

I bought this car knowing its boring and a commuter, but I'm starting to really enjoy driving it, to the point of looking forward to it. Maybe it's because my S2000 destroyed my ears and had zero refinement? This car feels like a Rolls Royce Phantom after my Honda.

I would recommend it easily. Everyone always stops to ask me about it if they notice the electric on it.

I would and have recommended it.

A co-worker is seriously considering getting one based on driving mine. I think the MFT works very well and is easy to use for me. Although, I have had it lock up on me once trying to do voice navigation commands. I have the 3.1 version, so looking forward to the 3.5 release.

Have had the FFE for 2.5 months and have almost 2k miles on it. My wife has a Volt, which is not a bad car, but I always want to drive the FFE when we go out together on weekends.

It depends if i feel it is a very friendly i will recommend it.In Helsinki i seen that there are many people using a electric car and if they use it really nice they are recommending it.Just like some solar panel that i bought at http://www.sunwind.fi/ i recommend it to all my friend and it is really been friendly to them and really glad that they love it.

I would recommend it to a friend for sure. I would caveat it by saying that it should be a 2nd or 3rd car. I would also recommend a LVII charger and to switch to a TOU plan. I would also encourage them to find a deal ~$200/mo with nothing out of pocket (state refund wash nets zero). Then, it is a screaming deal. My PG&E went down enough, that along with fuel savings, the car pays for itself as compared to the fuel I was putting into a 17 mpg BMW I was driving. Sure it has bugs, mostly electronics. But those are update via TSBs from time to time. Aside from a yellow wrench, stop safely now warning I had at around 300 miles, the car has been trouble free since and a pleasure to drive. 4K miles so far.

I would recommend FFE though we don't have one... yet.

We've got a Volt, want a FFE, expect to do the same as jcjj (FFE = primary car, Volt = second car).

jcjj said:
I would and have recommended it.

A co-worker is seriously considering getting one based on driving mine. I think the MFT works very well and is easy to use for me. Although, I have had it lock up on me once trying to do voice navigation commands. I have the 3.1 version, so looking forward to the 3.5 release.

Have had the FFE for 2.5 months and have almost 2k miles on it. My wife has a Volt, which is not a bad car, but I always want to drive the FFE when we go out together on weekends.

Yes Yes Yes

Love the car. Agree with WattsUp that the infotainment screens can be a bit buggy, but they're pretty darn good considering all the tech they packed into the car.

While it's no Model S, you'll be pleased. It's silky smooth on the freeway and dead flat in the corners. Plenty of power for freeway passing or to claw up steep windy mountain roads. Top speed is 84 MPH so leadfoots need not apply. Throttle response has a decisive urgency.

As a Model S owner, you'll likely miss the option to have it behave like a manual transmission car. (No creep and heavy off-throttle regen.)

The interior is very comfortable, seating five no problem and the cargo capacity is reasonable despite the battery hump. You can get two adult bikes inside with the rear seats folded down.

All in all the Focus Electric is a real treat to drive. Try it, you'll like it.

For sure. Every time I get into a full gas car now, it feels like a bucket of bolts rattling away, the smoothness and quietness of the Focus electric is great. My first car was a 1970 VW Bug and later a 1968 Camaro which I spent hours rebuilding and fixing, but I won't mind if I never change a set of spark plugs or fuel filter again! After owning the FFE, I will always have at least one electric car in the family.

Absolutely...as a second car, it's perfect for what we need. Aside from the obvious advantages, the car feels exceptionally well built, is extremely quiet, and has an excellent high-tech interface. Only downsides I've noted are the somewhat limited trunk space, and the smallish backseat. But hey, it's a compact car; that comes with the territory.

JimB_FFE said:
As a Model S owner, you'll likely miss the option to have it behave like a manual transmission car. (No creep and heavy off-throttle regen.)

Creep is nice to have for me since I've always driven an automatic transmission but not a necessity. The heavy regen I am going to miss like crazy though. It's funny how fast that has become my new norm. It just doesn't feel right for a car to coast anymore. I basically drive with 1 pedal in the Model S and like it. The brake is just used if I need to stop suddenly or I misjudge the time it will take the regen to stop me.

I wonder if Ford can increase the regen through a software update? Maybe that would even get some more mileage out of the focus. I'm betting it's so low because they thought people would want to have the car behave exactly like an ICE vehicle and thought the heavy regen would be a turn-off. I find it to be just the opposite.

I love my FFE and would happily recommend it and have. Driving the FFE in [L] gives it a more one pedal driving feel though not the same as the Model S. The FFE is a second car though due its lack of L3 charging. I have never liked any car I have owned as much as the FFE.

I look forward to MyTouch 3.5.1 but haven't had any real issues.

Back