Navigation no longer rotates the map as car turns

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WattsUp

I swear the map used to re-orient itself as the car turned, rotating the map so that the "car arrow" always points forward. Well, at least that's what I expect it to do based on the mode I have the map view in.... the 3-D view with the arrow facing upward.

But, today I noticed the 3-D map moving sideways and even backwards, based on the direction the car going. Here it is going sideways:

image.jpg

Note the selected mode (on the left). In this mode, the arrow on the map should always be facing "up", no? It should never point sideways or backwards, right?

The view corrects itself if you do something like zoom in or out, or flip the through the other modes and back to the 3-D view. Here's the same map moments later after I zoomed out and back in:

image.jpg

Is there some setting I've made elsewhere in MFT that could cause the map view to no longer auto-orient itself as the car turns? This is frustrating.

What does the red triangle in the top left corner of the upper photo mean?

What does the View button do?

The Red arrow button does:

Change the appearance of the map display
by repeatedly pressing the arrow button in
the upper left corner of the screen.
It toggles between three different map
modes: Heading up, North up, and 3D.

Heading up (2D map)

always shows the direction of forward
travel to be upward on the screen.
This view is available for map
scales up to 2.5 miles (4 kilometers). For
larger map scales, this setting is
remembered, but the map is shown in
North up only. If the scale returns below
this level, then Heading up is restored.

North up (2D map)

always shows the northern direction to be
upward on the screen.

3D map mode

provides an elevated perspective of the map.
This viewing angle can be adjusted
and the map can be rotated 180
degrees by dragging your finger along the
shaded bar with arrows at the bottom of

Thanks for pasting text from the manual. I suspect you're trying to present a solution to my issue? If so, could you elaborate?

I've already read the relavant sections of the manual and the system doesn't seem to be behaving as documented.

Nav is probably in a bad state. You can try popping the nav card out then re-inserting, or you can reboot the system by removing My Ford Touch's fuse, then plugging it back in.

WattsUp said:
Thanks for pasting text from the manual. .

I was asking two questions, but thanks for the snarky remark.

Which such welcoming forum members, no wonder this forum is so dead.

Good luck with your problem.

@EVF: Sorry you took my response as snarky. It wasn't meant to be. Re-reading it, I can see how it might read that way... but try reading it with a more dead-pan tone. I really was just hoping you would elaborate about which part of the manual solved my problem.

Also, I just thought your questions at the beginning were restating my problem... but you're asking what the View button does, I guess? (Since the stuff you pasted describes the red arrow.) The View button seems to flip through different presentations of the map + directions (when navigating to a destination) -- full-screen, split-screen, etc..

-----

Edit: Oh, I see... you mean the little red section at the very, very top-left corner of the photo. I thought you were referring to the mode button. That is just a patch of something red on the map that just happens to be in that corner. It's not part of the nav controls.

I tried to duplicate what you are experiencing on your navigation screen during my drive yesterday. Alas, I was not able to. I tried all the combinations of the view button with each red arrow button mode. Looked at all of the settings for navigation and found nothing to help. Sorry.

Thanks Fluke (and others who posted).

I have fixed it! :D

After reading page 118 in the manual, which mentions the "re-centering" button (without really explaining how/when it will appear), it also occurred to me that the flashing white circle that normally surrounds the red car arrow was also missing from my 3D map screen. Although my screen didn't show the re-centering button, I wondered if all of this "non-centered" stuff might have something to do with the behavior I was seeing.

So, I tried dragging the 3D screen around. Sure enough, the re-centering button appeared. When I pressed it, the flashing white circle reappeared and my map starting rotating properly again. Ah, relief!

Now... I still don't know how my nav system got into the state described in my initial post. I'm guessing it was in some kind of non-centered state, yet was somehow not displaying the re-centering button. Perhaps I inadvertently dragged the display and then went about setting destinations and other things, after which the display wasn't really updating properly. I have attempted to duplicate the weird state by deliberately performing such steps, but haven't been able to.

In any case, I am glad to have normal map behavior back. :)

Back