Pros and Cons

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitey

Pros and Cons:

New to the FFE, and this board. Lots of great info, and I used much of it to make my final decision to lease a 2013 white FFE. I have had it two weeks now and love it. In that period I have noticed the following Pros and Cons based on what prospective buyers post as well as my own experiences. This is what I have noticed so far:

Cons:
1. Range
2. Battery encroachment on storage
3. Cost
4. Recharge times

Make sure you read through and get to the Pros as well.
I will now address each one of these realistically on my observations:

1. Range: True, this is a 'local' car. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and it works perfectly for my daily needs and is actually possible to do trips up and down the coast with a little change in normal combustion planning. I have gone from San Mateo to Santa Cruz and back. I have gone to Mt. Tamalpais from San Mateo, and back. If all cars had a 76 mile range, we would all just accept it. This car changes my thought process and just makes me plan trips differently. The range has not limited my normal travels during the week. True, it won't make it to Tahoe in a reasonable period of time, but that is what rentals, friends, motorcycle, etc., are for. Plus, with a 15,000 mile/year lease, I only get 41 miles/day on my lease. So the range, charging times (see below), and lease limitations all equal out at about 15,000 miles/year. To be doing more than the 76 mile range per day/year means I would have to be driving more than 27,740 miles/year.

2. Battery encroachment on storage: Some people whine about this when reviewing this car. Yes, the battery is obvious and takes a significant part of the rear storage. However, it has not limited my gear carrying abilities in any way. How often do you fill to the max the back of your car? I'm betting not often. Therefore this becomes a non-issue for most people. Plus, with no gas tank, Ford has created storage beneath the back deck, increasing storage a bit from the normal Focus in that area. I can easily fit my bicycle in the back. I can fit two people, surfing gear, bags, backpacks, and a good size cooler in the back. (The two people sit up front, obviously). I have not had a moment where I wished for more storage.

3. Cost: Yup, it's got a pricey retail sticker. Showing a top of the line sticker of $41,585. However, with current incentives in California, you get $10,750 back, making this a $30,835 car. I am leasing mine, and therefore the lease is only on the $30,835 amount, and at .25%. After three years I will most likely want the new technology, and the pricing is presently right. If I spec out a similar Focus Titanium, Automatic, etc., it comes out to $25,985. Sure, about $5,000 cheaper. Let’s just take a look at where that $5,000 will be made up:
-No oil changes. Factor in oil changes at 3,000 miles, that’s 5 oil changes a year, roughly $40/change. $200/year.
-No gas. Let’s use 32 mpg for the Focus Titanium. I’ve got a 15,000 mile/year lease. That’s 468 gallons. At $4.15/gallon/87 octane presently in my area, that is $1,942.20. However, factor back in electricity costs, estimated by Ford at $600/year, that is now $1,342.20 extra/year for the Titanium in gas.
-Tires and brakes remain fairly equivalent, I am going to assume, in terms of replacement, and not going to be a factor in a 3 year lease.
-No maintenance. Nothing. Basically ever. Until 150,000 miles. Then a fluid change for the battery coolant. You could use the Titanium maintenance schedule for comparison:
http://www.automobilemag.com/am/99/2013/ford/focus/titanium_hatchback/3340/ownership_costs.html
Pulling the relevant bits out, let’s say it has $500 of maintenance for the first three years. We’re not counting depreciation or other non-directly related costs in a three year term.
Totals: This makes the total cost of the Titanium $4,026.60 for gas, $600 for oil, and $500 for other maintenance. That totals out at $5,126.60 over three years. That is more than the cost of the Electric over three years. Yes, take this with a grain of salt. Basically, they are roughly equal in cost over the first three years.

4. Recharge times: Considering a daily commute runs me about 40 miles, and the distance I go on average for exercise options and friends adds another 20, my max general day is only 60 miles. This is well within the range of the FFE. Charge times on 240 give about 20 miles range per hour. Charge times on 120 give about 3.8 miles range per hour. Sounds dismal, right? Well, 3.8/hour x 12 hours gets me 45.6 miles. That is more than my typical commute. And considering the places I go otherwise, there are 240v free charge stations nearby. I can go exercise, come back, and my car is full in 2-3 hours. (About 3.5 hours from empty). If I pay $2.00/hour at the local Walgreens, which seems to be the most expensive charging stations around, that still equates to about $7 to fill the car from empty. If I am getting 76 miles per charge, then my $7 of electricity charging at Walgreens is getting me $9.85 worth of gas range. (still using 32mpg Titanium equivalent). That means I am getting the equivalent of a 41.28 mpg car. So still, decent and not making me wish I bought a hybrid. I just avoid the Walgreens stations... plenty of free and cheaper ones.

Pros:
Here are the Pros I have seen so far:
1. No maintenance
2. Quiet
3. Environmentally friendly (Yes, loaded topic, I am only addressing the lack of tailpipe here)
4. Less moving parts. Less ‘infrastructure’ and possible failure points. For example, no gas tank, fuel pumps, injectors, gas motor, etc.
5. Design

1. No Maintenance: Besides normal wear and tear such as tires and brakes, there is truly NOTHING to do to this car. Even the maintenance manual only recommends changing the battery coolant fluid at 150,000 miles. So basically nothing for 10 years. Sure, then you’re reaching the perceived ‘battery replacement’ time frame. A lot can happen in ten years. Only saying that to reflect on the idea that replacements and recycling of EV batteries in ten years time can evolve dramatically. I refrain from further speculation.

2. Quiet: This car is QUIET! Not totally isolating quiet like a top end luxury car with the windows rolled up. Quiet enough that you can hear some outside noise with the windows up, but NO engine noise. A barely perceptible motor hum. I tested the approaching noise level for pedestrians with a friend. We found the tire road noise to be adequately noticeable from 500 feet. Much less noise than a combustion car, but still plenty of noise for anyone on the street to hear you coming. I test drove the Titanium gas powered version of the Focus and did not like the engine noise, never mind the screaming it made when pushed hard. Plus I am finding I am becoming a more attentive driver. I hear surrounding noises better. There isn’t a reflected engine noise when in congested areas either. The entire experience is fantastic. Now imagine the pleasure of not hearing the engine droning sound of most roadways…

3. Environmentally friendly: Well, I said it in the Pro’s list. No tailpipe. Sure, the electricity gets made somewhere. That is a whole other discussion with way too many variables to accurately debate without focus on a specific state or county level region. But no emissions is still NO emissions. No possible petroleum leaks from fluids that it doesn’t have. No chance to kill anyone with carbon monoxide poisoning.

4. Less Moving Parts: One electric motor. One gear. This car removes all the complexity of the combustion motor, transmission, fluids, drive axles (if compared to rear wheel drive), fans, intakes, and other relative combustion based necessities. Less moving, less to fail. Period. Then there is all the infrastructure necessary for those moving parts. Belts, exhaust piping, gas piping, catalytic converter, etc.

5. Design: This is the first Ford vehicle I have looked at in quite a while and been impressed with the design. It seems some of the design approach from when Ford owned Aston Martin has been assimilated. This car, with the leather interior, is truly enjoyable. The heated seats are great. Every button and feature seems to have been thought about. I am not going to scrutinize the MyFord SYNC issues here, but even that only has marginal issues. All human contact points have been thought about, finished well, and designed appropriately. Seriously, this is a Ford? Made in America? Yes. And the entire car comes together in its overall approach to a high end small car.

All said and done, if the 76 mile range fits into your daily average, then this car is absolutely fantastic. All the whining and moaning of grumpy reviewers aren’t taking the full picture into account. The Cons listed and reported truly do not affect the majority of people looking for a great commuting car. I love this car.

Great write-up!

I didn't see the $2500 CA rebate factored into the "Cost" paragraph. Would doing so turn that con into a pro?

I agree, that is a great post. I agree with most everything you said. I agree with how you framed the cons. For me, in my situation, those items that could be cons are not cons for me. My typical daily driving needs are well within the range of this vehicle. It has plenty of storage space for what I need. I had a level 2 charger installed in my garage 2 days ago, taking away any worries about being able to top off the battery overnight. I also agree with you about being surprised about the overall quality and layout for a Ford. It as been a very long time since I looked at Ford vehicles. I have been driving Bimmers for several years now and still have a second one for my long-range driver. I admit I am still in the honeymoon phase with this car, so we will see if it continues to meet my expectations over time. But so far, everything is great, I really enjoy having a 100% electric vehicle, and I am telling that to anyone who will listen. :)

Whitey said:
... with current incentives in California, you get $10,750 back ...
I don't understand where this figure of $10,750 comes from. The only incentive (I know of) offered by the state of California for purchasing an EV is a $2,500 rebate.

Now... there is also the Federal tax credit of $7,500 (which applies to any state). From what I understand, this is non-refundable credit, meaning that you're only entitled to the full credit if your tax liability is $7,500 or greater. (But, if you can afford to drop $40K car, it probably is.) If not, then you'll receive a partial credit. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Therefore, in California, you can expect, in the best case, to effectively have $10K worth of total incentives for purchasing an EV. ($2,500 + $7,500)

If you lease, the story is a little different... since the dealer is entitled to the fruits of any incentive program(s). Fortunately, they pass the savings along to the lessee.

----

Edit: In CA, you can claim the $2,500 state rebate, even as a lessee. But, you can't claim the federal $7,500 tax credit. (It was included in the $10,750 lease incentive from Ford, with the remainder being Ford's own incentive for lessees.)

Steve said:
I also agree with you about being surprised about the overall quality and layout for a Ford. It as been a very long time since I looked at Ford vehicles. I have been driving Bimmers for several years now and still have a second one for my long-range driver.
Hehe... I let a friend drive my FFE and he commented it had the feel of driving something European like a BMW or Audi. I think the EV smoothness and quietness had a lot to do with that impression. But, I agree, the overall level of quality appears surprisingly high... the car does give a solid impression and the trim inside is "high touch" and satisfying. This is my first American-made vehicle (previously Honda and Toyota) and, like you, I am hoping the my initial impressions of quality prove to be long-lasting, while I enjoy the refreshing surprise of my early experiences.

It feels a little odd to say this... but, as an American, I am "proud" of Ford for creating such a great car, electric or not. I am proud to drive it.

----------

Edit: I should add, the current MFT software, not so much. I'm a little embarrassed by it (though I partially blame Microsoft for that). But, the car itself is a gem. I just hope they significantly improve MFT sometime soon.

Hehe... I let a friend drive my FFE and he commented it had the feel of driving something European like a BMW or Audi. I think the EV smoothness and quietness had a lot to do with that impression.

Not so: The Focus is a European car to begin with (was designed in Germany) so the chassis already has a European feel to it (one of the reasons I currently have an ICE Focus--its one of the nicest driving Ford's I've had for quite some time--our last dozen cars or so were or are Ford's). Just search out reviews of the ICE Focus and you'll find many a reviewer who just loves the car!

Add to the already nice handling chassis an electric motor and a better weight balance (adding the battery in the back gives the FFE very close to a 50/50 weight ratio on the wheels--the ICE Focus is more like 60 front/40 rear) and it handles a little better--despite the extra 800 lbs or so. Now if you really want to have some fun go take a Focus ST out for a spin (that car is getting even "raver" reviews over the ICE Focus).

Don't blame Microsoft for MFT the initial crappy version wasn't their fault: The original vendor underbid the project and didn't really know what they were getting into. Thus the first few versions of MFT were really really bad. Microsoft & Ford took over development and have been laboring to fix it ever since (it was that messed up to begin with). Frankly, it doesn't embarras me at all (we currently have two cars with MFT one of which will be replaced with our FFE when it arrives something this century!)--in fact I usually show it off to people who aren't familiar with it. Having experienced it from day one I have to say the current incarnation of MFT is worlds better than the first one!

I agree with Wattsup on the performance/Euro feel. I believe I'm not the only person on this forum who moved from an Audi (A4) to an FFE. I loved driving my A4, and was sold on the FFE when I test drove it and felt a similar ride. Granted, I miss Quattro a little in snowy conditions and getting into my garage from the iced-over alley, but otherwise the quick response to gas pedal, responsive steering, suspension tuning, and balance feel very similar. Seating is comfy but not plush, doors close solidly, and the driver control layout is similar as far as lighting, wipers, cruise. Even able to set the interior light accent to the old red of my A4! I don't get that door-panel rattle that some have complained about thank goodness.
I haven't driven a Focus ST, but I have rented a few entry-level ICE Foci, and this car's feel and handling are completely different in my opinion.

jmueller065 said:
Don't blame Microsoft for MFT the initial crappy version wasn't their fault: The original vendor underbid the project and didn't really know what they were getting into.
I'd hate to see what the first first generation was like then. Geesh.

Yeah, the current MFT software "works", but it riddled with silly bugs:

• Often, it misses input... even when an on-screen button is squarely touched, and the touch "beep" is made, the system doesn't respond. I've noticed behavior also seems to apply to the physical buttons too! Pressing the physical power off button for the entertainment system is sometimes ignored. Or, audio goes off for a second, and then comes back on! Even pressing the "passenger lock disable" switch on the driver's side door lock panel is ignored if you toggle it "too fast".
  • Often, the system fails to recognize my phone (admittedly, I use the unpopular and little-known iPhone). I have to disconnect and reconnect it before it works.
  • Often, the entertainment screen will show one source selected, but be playing another. You have to "fiddle" with the sources until it things finally sync (no pun intended) back up.
  • While no so much "buggy" behaviors, the navigation is two steps backward from the TomTom I use in my other car. Simple tasks take multiple steps. The map view displays all street names (near and far) with equal importance (the silly green popup labels) so that it is impossible to glance at the screen while driving and determine the name of a nearby street... you have scan every label, which might be anywhere on the screen.
  • My system claims I have four USB devices plugged in and voice control no longer works to select the one USB device (that I actually do have plugged in) -- though it did work for the first couple weeks. Rebooting has not fixed this problem.
  • And, of course... the whole thing is pretty sluggish.

Those are the sort of things that embarrass me.

I'm curious: What version of MFT/Sync are you running? (Not sure how you get that out of the car, it is reported on syncmyride.com).

I ask because those issues sound like a version ago (our MFT cars are running ver 3.5.1 of sync).

It wouldn't surprise me if MFT/Sync on the FFE is a rev back due to the additional work required for the FFE specific features.

WattsUp, I have had almost none of the issues you mention. The only time I have noticed lagging is sometimes when I first start the car. It seems like MFT / Sync is busy booting up. This is especially true if I plug in a USB device. It is busy indexing it (and tells me so on the screen).

Regarding your USB device issues, have you tried doing a master reset on MFT? I read in the manual under the privacy section that is how you force MFT to delete data about the devices you have connected (especially your phone and USB devices).

I'd have to say that the list of issues with MFT/Sync that WattsUp has had seemed too short. I've seen/had issues with everything he mentioned and more. I've done multiple forced reboots with USB devices removed to attempt to exorcise the software demons that plague this software.

My list wasn't meant to be exhaustive. :)

Another bug I noticed yesterday (since I don't play CDs that often): Play a CD, switch the MFT screen to Navigation (or some section other than Entertainment), switch CD tracks (with the physical buttons on the console), note that "Track 3" (or whatever) is displayed in the Entertainment segment's "status area" (at the bottom left). Now, change volume (so the volume level will briefly display in the status area). When the level goes away, the status area is left completely blank, no longer displaying the currently playing CD track. Intended behavior, or a bug?

I am also annoyed how the radio comes blasting on whenever you eject a CD, even though the current source before inserting the CD was not the radio. IMO, the audio should revert whatever the pre-CD source was (which, in my case, would almost always be the USB drive).

Steve said:
WattsUp, I have had almost none of the issues you mention. The only time I have noticed lagging is sometimes when I first start the car. It seems like MFT / Sync is busy booting up. This is especially true if I plug in a USB device. It is busy indexing it (and tells me so on the screen).
Yeah, it seems even slower when booting up. I guess your tolerance for sluggishness is higher than mine. ;)

IMO, overall the system could/should be a lot more responsive than it is. I mean, it's 2013!

Steve said:
Regarding your USB device issues, have you tried doing a master reset on MFT? I read in the manual under the privacy section that is how you force MFT to delete data about the devices you have connected (especially your phone and USB devices).
That's the one thing I haven't tried yet. I just didn't want to deal with a "big reset" unless I absolutely had to.

Besides, I was kind of hoping a 3.5 update for the FFE would be coming soon, which perhaps would address the issue. (Or, at least a reset might simply be par for the course with such an update.)

jmueller065 said:
I'm curious: What version of MFT/Sync are you running? (Not sure how you get that out of the car, it is reported on syncmyride.com).

I ask because those issues sound like a version ago (our MFT cars are running ver 3.5.1 of sync).

It wouldn't surprise me if MFT/Sync on the FFE is a rev back due to the additional work required for the FFE specific features.
I've run the Sync version checker tool and it reports my FFE has "SYNC Version Gen2 - V3.1.3".

Also, the last time I was at the dealer (a few weeks ago), I asked if my FFE had the latest software. They checked it, and said yes. I asked if an MFT update was coming, and they said they didn't know.

But yes... the FFE hasn't received the 3.5 update yet. I sure hope it does. Based on what you say, it sounds like a lot of stuff has been improved.

3.5.1 is about to be deployed to electrified vehicles. I had a chat with some Ford EV guys and all that was waiting was a final version of the power control module firmware.

The update to 3.5.1 is a bit more involved than on non-electrified vehicles because of the PCM update. Everyone else just needs a new SD card for maps and a quick flash via USB.

I was told that we'd all get postcards letting us know when to bring the cars into the dealerships for the PCM flash + update.

@felkster: So... what is the power control module (I can guess, but what exactly) and why does it need to be updated with the infotainment software? Is it just that, if they are going to have people come in for an update anyway, why not update some of the EV component software too?

And who are these "EV guys" that you have access to? ;)

We've had our new Ice Storm FFE for a week now. I love it as much as I anticipated I would. Range easily covers my 50 mile commute (though I'm still curious about the posts that refer to winter weather. We're in Texas so I'll learn what summer does to it instead.)

I just wanted to express my appreciation to this forum as an excellent source of information for the prospective buyer.

These cars are so new to the dealerships that few salespeople know anything about them. If you've read the Ford websites and this forum, be prepared to know more than almost every salesperson you'll meet on the lot.

I was fortunate that my internet query was vectored by a savvy sales manager to the one guy at the dealership who had researched EVs and was driving one regularly.

As an illustration of the opposite, a second salesperson was trying to help when I actually took delivery and he was going to set me up for my first oil change!

But even for all my learning, it was after I got it home that my son pointed out I had paid the inspection fee which included an emissions test. In our state, emission-exempt vehicles pay the original pre-emissions test rate. Oh well, I'll chalk that $13 up to the dealer still learning about EVs and not assume they were trying to slip an additional charge past me.

Keep up the good work. The pros and cons post early sums up a lot of good information.

Ha! I think you should demand the dealer take $13 off of that first oil change.

I too was lucky enough to get a sales manager that was knowledgeable. Made my experience of buying the FFE painless and very informative.

BTW, if you think the sales folk are largely uninformed... wait 'til you take the FFE in for some warranty work. Friday morning, my heater blower motor went out. Took it in Saturday morning, and they're still working on it today (Monday), apparently because they've had to resort to swapping emails with Ford to figure this one out. They said that they've narrowed it down to the interior temp sensor, but have to wait until tomorrow to get it and install it.

When we get the postcards saying to go to the dealer to get updated, does anyone know if we can go to any dealer?
:?: :?:

Back