Inside the trunk of the Ford Focus Electric

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaus

Here are a couple pictures of inside the trunk, or is it a hatch, of the Ford Focus Electric.

Compared to a gasoline powered focus, there is substantially less trunk space because the battery pack takes up about half of the trunk. It looks like in the Focus Electric the back half of the trunk, the part without the battery pack, has a storage organizer with a lid that is raised to match the height of the battery pack giving the Ford Focus Electric a small, but flat trunk space.

34-2012-ford-focus-electric-fd.jpg

Underneath the raised lid, the Ford Focus Electric has a cargo organizer - this would be a good spot to store the 120v convenience charging cord as well as a can of tire inflate since the Focus Electric doesn't come with a spare tire.

35-2012-ford-focus-electric-fd.jpg

klaus said:
Here are a couple pictures of inside the trunk, or is it a hatch, of the Ford Focus Electric.

Compared to a gasoline powered focus, there is substantially less trunk space because the battery pack takes up about half of the trunk. It looks like in the Focus Electric the back half of the trunk, the part without the battery pack, has a storage organizer with a lid that is raised to match the height of the battery pack giving the Ford Focus Electric a small, but flat trunk space.
From the Autoblog Green review; "cargo space isn't too bad in the Electric – there's 14.5 cubic feet of available room behind the rear seats, and additional 1.5 cubic feet in the hidden compartment. By comparison, a Nissan Leaf also offers 14.5 cubic feet of space, while the smaller Mitsubishi i only registers 13.2."

ICE Focus Hatchback has 23.8 cubic feet.

I like how some of the modern cars are adding storage space underneath the front and back seats. Ford should really consider adding this type of feature for Focus electric. If the trunk really is that small Ford really needs to start thinking outside the box when it comes to the Focus EV's storage space. Are there an plans for Ford to release an all electric sport utility vehicle or pick up truck?

Nice pictures of the Ford Focus Electric trunk. I like it. Sure it's nice to have more room if you can, but life is full of tradeoffs. Personally I'd take the huge savings on gas that driving a focus electric would enable over having a lot of extra space I would vary rarely use. Options are nice, but for me i have my priorities and the ford focus electric takes care of my most important needs.

Trunk space is nice, but the many other features and benefits of the Ford Focus electric more than make up for the trunk. The focus ev could have NO trunk and I would still be happy with it. With the gas savings I make driving it, I can easily afford to rent a truck to haul whatever and still be in the positives for savings. The focus electric is a great car.

It would have been a deal killer if I couldn't get a bike into the car with the seats folded down.
Buuuut....

No problem! I think I could get a second bike in there if I had to.

Something else I recently discovered. The rear seat bottoms fold up toward the front seats, allowing the rear seat backs to lay flat.
I've had the car since June and only discovered that last week! Durrrr!

klaus said:
Underneath the raised lid, the Ford Focus Electric has a cargo organizer - this would be a good spot to store the 120v convenience charging cord

And underneath that good spot is a carpet flap. Underneath that is where the 120v convenience cord is housed in a new FFE. The way I read the user guide the first time I expected to find it here in this pictured (and more convenient) area. Took me a while to re-read it correctly and find the cord!

To increase the usable space in the trunk all you have to do is remove the trunk organizer. The trunk organizer simply lifts right out.

jeffand said:
To increase the usable space in the trunk all you have to do is remove the trunk organizer. The trunk organizer simply lifts right out.

Agree with Jeff, remove the stupid trunk organizer. It just takes up space and adds weight.

The Ford has enough space that one person can sleep with ease,The designing is bang on,will see how it goes on the road.

Not sure what that means either, but at least he didn't talk about how many dead bodies he could fit in there.

WP

Back