EV not charging (2015 FFE)

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVPirate

Hello World!!!!

I had just finished my regular commute (apprx. 25 miles), w/ 20 miles of range left. I parked my car, turned it off, and attached my Lvl 1 EV charger as usual. However; this time no dice. The charge ring cycled twice, and went dark. The cable indicator shows that power is going, but that's all (the fault indicator is not lit up, neither is the charging). There are no indicators on my dashboard either. I can still drive the vehicle, but I don't want to risk running it bone dry. This happened once before, that time I just let it sit off the charger for 3 days. Then miraculously it started charging after I plugged it in. Any ideas on what going on? Thank you.

This happened to me once, but I found out it was my fault, when I turned the car off I had apparently hit the right steering wheel pad that switched it from charge now to value charge and it had no value charge schedule set. Did you check if your vehicle is set on value charge?

I triple checked it's on charge now, and got a mechanic to come. No codes. The level 1 charger is showing its getting power, and the port ring cycles twice but goes black. I can even hear the normal clunk from inside the car whenever I plug in the charger

I did some trouble shooting, and noticed that the car registers the charger being plugged in (cycling rings) when it's on. But when I turn the vehicle off I don't get any cycling rings after plugging it in. No fault indicator on charger or car still

So what did you find out was the problem? going thrpugh this very thing today. I plugged in charger rings light up , i can hear charging noises but battery dosent charge , i had it plugged in for an hour and nothing. No ring indicating charging . I was charged for the electricity that was used but car didnt . Im frustrated . I had to get it towed back to my place and i just bought the car 3 days ago AS IS from Kearney Mesa Ford

Sorry you are having that problem. Did you charge at a public charger, or using the charger from the trunk? For electricity to be "used" it has to go somewhere. If public charger, I would think they would asses a fee from the actual energy consumed. If from the trunk charger, then you saw from your power meter the energy consumed? It had to be towed because there was insufficient charge in the battery, or it just won't run at all? When you say the battery doesn't charge, is it because the dash doesn't show a change, or the app doesn't indicate a change, or how did you come to this conclusion? If you have only had the car 3 days, but this is your first EV, there is a learning curve to the behavior of the vehicle. When you bought the vehicle, as is, did the dealer disclose a charging problem? If you had Forscan and a dongle, you could pull the DTCs and see what the car has determined what was wrong. You cannot use a regular OBDII scanner. You can pull some codes from the dash using Engineering Test Mode. Search the forum for my post on that. If you hear clunking when you attach the charger, then the vehicle is closing contactors to accept the charge. It might be a communication problem with the charger and charge port. Can you try a different charger? And what is the condition of the 12V battery? If that is shot, then the vehicle may not accept a charge. Need more information to have a better understanding of the problem.

I tried two public chargers and it shiwed in app and yes i was charged by host for electricity used. Rings flashed when i plugged in charger but went dark . I could hear light humming while plugged in . Lights flashing green on public charger box . Nothing. I had it hooked up for almost an hour before i realized it wasnt taking any charge. Dash still said battery depleted . The dealer did not disclose any problems of course. It only had 41% charge when i purchased it. They had put it on charger for me when i hot thete and i was there for a few hours and only 41% charge.

I tried two public chargers and it shiwed in app and yes i was charged by host for electricity used. Rings flashed when i plugged in charger but went dark . I could hear light humming while plugged in . Lights flashing green on public charger box . Nothing. I had it hooked up for almost an hour before i realized it wasnt taking any charge. Dash still said battery depleted . The dealer did not disclose any problems of course. It only had 41% charge when i purchased it. They had put it on charger for me when i hot thete and i was there for a few hours and only 41% charged

Back