Like New 2014 FFE Ice Storm Metallic Less Than 6K Miles

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heima

First a disclaimer. I have no interest with this dealership. I cannot vouch for them. I just saw this and thought that if someone was looking for a deal on a FFE, this would be one.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?zip=95928&showNegotiable=true&sortDir=ASC&sourceContext=untrackedWithinSite_false_0&distance=200&sortType=DEAL_SCORE&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2468#listing=271832723

https://www.abescars.com/inventory/view/12617797/2014-Ford-Focus-Electric-HB/

2014 FFE with cloth interior, less than 6000 miles. Asking $10k, but you could probably get it for under $8k.
Of course no basic warranty, but the powertrain warranty is still there. If you feel you need the basic warranty, use that to get the price lower.
DO NOT fall for an aftermarket warranty. Only a Ford dealer can offer a useable one.
https://www.vehiclehistory.com/vin-report/1FADP3R47EL401108

For those of you thinking this is over-priced, it is a California car. Along with high costs of living come high costs of buying. Anything.
So it is in Sacramento, where things are a little cheaper. They would want $13k -$15k in the Bay Area.

There is not going to be any rust on this car. The tires are pretty much new. The interior looks immaculate, as does the exterior. The dealer says leather interior, I see cloth. Use that as a bargaining chip. The dealer has been asking this price since mid-May. You can get it cheaper.

If you can't afford a Tesla, but want a very nice electric car where they didn't cut corners, this would be one.

Heima said:
Hey, they lowered the price to $8999. Come on, somebody buy this already!

WAY too high for a '14. Trade in value is approx $4500 (on a good day)

Well, we all can't live in Cheapsville. This is Bay Area pricing:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?zip=94602&showNegotiable=true&sortDir=ASC&sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&distance=100&sortType=DEAL_SCORE&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2468

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Electric/Ford/Focus/Oakland+CA-94602?makeCodeList=FORD&searchRadius=100&modelCodeList=FOCUS&zip=94602&marketExtension=include&fuelTypeGroup=ELE&isNewSearch=true&sortBy=relevance&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0

https://stockton.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=focus+electric&sort=date&srchType=T&searchNearby=2&nearbyArea=96&nearbyArea=102&nearbyArea=12&nearbyArea=1&nearbyArea=456

Do you see anything with less than 6k miles on it?

I am sure you can find something cheaper somewhere else, but for 7 million of us, this is all we got.

Well, I decided to put my money where my mouth was, and drove down to Sacramento to buy this 2014 FFE. So......

The Good
Body: looked good. No dents or scrapes. A few small discolorations but otherwise ok. No signs of an accident.
Under the hood: A little dirty, but nothing a garden hose couldn't take care of.

The Bad
Someone stupidly armor-alled the complete dash and center stack. Really slathered it on. Every control was wet with the stuff. This all would have to be cleaned off. The key fob as well. Yeah on the instrument cluster and the touchscreen. Clean with alcohol?
There is some staining on the seats. Can't tell what, but it is leaving a black outline. Hopefully could be cleaned out with some foaming upolstery cleaner. $5
The rear package shelf has a broken pivot. To fix would require a new rear quarter trim piece. Checking the price - $55
The rear package shelf is also missing a hanger clip. $9
The RH rear seatback will not secure. The latch inside needs to be replaced. $72
The charging light ring does not illuminate. Worst case it needs to be replaced. $130

The Ugly
On Wednesday, I email the dealership about the number of keys, and if the vehicle had the charging cable and air compressor. A few minutes later, I received a phone call with no message left. Then I received the useless automated email reply to my inquiry. And then an hour later I get this email: "There are two keys" Nothing else.

Thursday morning, I both email and text: "Hello xxxxx, Thank you for the information about the keys. I would like to take an extended test drive this Saturday. Would you be able to have it fully charged by then? I am thinking around noon-ish". They write back: "yes that sounds good"

So no asking what an extended test drive is. I would have told them I was going to drive to IKEA if they asked. Eight miles as the crow flies. But I assumed they did not care.

Friday, I get an email as to what time I would show up. I reiterate 12:00-12:15.

Saturday, I leave the house at 10:10 and head south. At 10:30 I get a text from the dealership wanting to know if I am still comming in. I reply yes, and ask if the car is all charged up. The dealer says its all good to go.

I arrive at 12:15. Yeah its a long drive from Chico to Sacramento. Nobody is there. There is a shack and nobody inside. I walk around the lot, looking for the car and eventually find it charging. The keys are inside so I look it over.
A couple minutes later, the dealer greets me, and I thank him for charging up the car. He starts asking the usual questions and I endeavor him.

I then ask: "so it is ok to take it for an extended test drive?". The dealer says: "sure, do whatever you want", and takes a photo of my driver's license.

I get the laptop and OBDII interface out of my car and set off to drive to IKEA. This is about 12:35.

On the freeway, traffic is stopped, because there has been an accident and a truck has caught on fire and is burning profusely. No firetruck, police or ambulance had arrived. Fortunately no one appeared hurt.

When I arrive at IKEA, I see that I have a text from the dealer, asking how much longer am I going to take. Its 1:07.
I text back that the traffic has been bad and that it will be an hour. Over estimating the actual time, in case there are other problems. The dealer replies that they weren't aware that I would be gone for that long, but it was fine.

I use forscan to check the codes and there are plenty of them. Most being power loss type codes. I check the HV battery estimated capacity. At 74% 13.131 kW.

I use the car's GPS to direct me back to the dealership. It takes me on city streets all the way. I guess the traffic on the freeway has gotten worse, though the streets arent much better.

I arrive at the dealership at 1:45, take the car back to where it was charging before and plug it in. The charging ring does not light, yet the touchscreen says the vehicle is charging. I try a couple of things, but give up.

The dealer greets me and asked what did I think of the test drive. "Disappointing" I told him, thinking of the traffic.
Then he asked what I thought of the car, I started to tell him about the codes, but he was too pissed off to hear it.
He started chewing me out for having the car for so long and driving so far stating that I had it for hours, and that I did not tell them I was going to do this.
I explained that I asked 3 times (email, text, in person) if it would be ok to take an extended test drive, and they agreed. I took it to IKEA, and brought it right back.
The dealer walked off in a huff.

So, their poor attitude killed a sale that day. I had the money with me, but nope.

Well, the dealership is now claiming it is sold. They didn't lower the price, so I wonder who bought it for how much?
Somebody here? I hope so.

Heima said:
Well, the dealership is now claiming it is sold. They didn't lower the price, so I wonder who bought it for how much?
Somebody here? I hope so.

There's always some sucker somewhere. I paid $1999 for a 20th Anniversary Macintosh (when Apple was closing them out) and then immediately sold it on eBay for $3410. Then I bought another one (at $1999) to keep :)

It amazes me how many people don't research (when it comes to a car) such a large purchase. So many will walk into the first dealership, and drive off the lot with something that day. I think I still hold the record here for cheapest (new) FFE purchased. I took my time and did my research.

Yes, a person should research to understand what they are buying, and what the market value is.
But like I said before, EVERYTHING is expensive in California, and so it is a captive market.
Sure, you could look outside of the state for deals, but then there is the cost to get the car into the state, the ridiculous sales tax, and assinine registration fees.
This is just one reason why so many native Californian's are making plans to leave.
The outsiders came in and screwed it up.
For car purchases, they are willing to pay whatever the dealer is asking, so the dealer has no incentive to haggle the price. Anything reasonably priced is a salvage title and a piece of crap.

Heima said:
Yes, a person should research to understand what they are buying, and what the market value is.
But like I said before, EVERYTHING is expensive in California, and so it is a captive market.
Sure, you could look outside of the state for deals, but then there is the cost to get the car into the state, the ridiculous sales tax, and assinine registration fees.
This is just one reason why so many native Californian's are making plans to leave.
The outsiders came in and screwed it up.
For car purchases, they are willing to pay whatever the dealer is asking, so the dealer has no incentive to haggle the price. Anything reasonably priced is a salvage title and a piece of crap.

Oh, I know. I'm a native Californian, and got out as fast as my 1989 Toyota Supra (at the time) would drive me.

Back