Need battery module for 23kWh pack (65Ah)

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicoDaMan

Hi -

A number of years ago I came across a FFE battery pack from a Focus that was sacrificed as part of the the crash testing process.

I put it into a Ford Ranger Electric EV and have been happily driving ever since.

But now I have a module that's going bad. I need to find a replacement module.

Does anyone know where I might find one? It was a 23kWh pack, I believe the modules are 65Ah each.

Thanks...

(if this message should go into a different form category, please advise...)

Someday I want to rebuild mine with higher density cells. You could always just replace individual cells assuming you can find equivalent sized and rated cells. Let us know what you find. I for one am curious. :D

Someday I want to rebuild mine with higher density cells. You could always just replace individual cells assuming you can find equivalent sized and rated cells. Let us know what you find. I for one am curious. :D

I don't know how well the internal systems of the Focus are documented, but with my older Ford Ranger you have to work around the existing BCM and charging systems when adding new batteries. That hasn't prevented us from replacing the old NiMH pack with Lithium cells of varying capacities, but it does require a bit of hacking to do so.

If any Ford Focus users could recommend cells that could be used to replace one or two of the Focus modules I'm using in the Ranger, I would appreciate it.

Thanks...

Good luck. I don't think anyone with a FFE has monkeyed with the battery. I certainly haven't seen anyone on here that has the knowledge you are looking for. There is definitely a void of working knowledge with the battery packs. If batteries ever become cheap enough before my FFE rusts to dust I would love to rebuild my FFE with a higher capacity battery. Sadly it will probably never make any sense to do so.

If batteries ever become cheap enough before my FFE rusts to dust I would love to rebuild my FFE with a higher capacity battery. Sadly it will probably never make any sense to do so.

No, it won't make sense from a practical standpoint, only for the doing of it. People have been hacking the Ford Ranger EVs for 20 years now (the ones that weren't taken back and crushed, that is) and they've proven to be good long-running vehicles. But that's because there haven't been any EV alternatives until just recently.

It's just for fun and learning to keep these "old" vehicles running at this point...these are kind of like the 1890's cars that look like horse buggies...they were out of date by 1905 but the few that survived are in museums and are worth huge money. Maybe the FFE will be in a museum someday?

Anyway, I'm still looking for a battery module from one... ;)

Back