2017 FFE DC charging problem and solution Important!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNSelectric

I had been unable to DC charge for the past few days. The sync screen just says Fault and all LEDs flash at the port. Level 2 and 1 charging is ok.

I took apart my charge port and discovered the Combo connector locking pin position switch in the servo motor was not always conducting.

If that position sensor does not conduct, your DC charge will not start.
If that position sensor loses conductivity during a charge, your DC charge will stop.
Both conditions show only as Fault on the Sync display.

The charging is fail safe so if any part of that chain is broken the charge will stop.

I sprayed contact cleaner on the switch, reassembled and tested by manually operating the lever on the side of the servo motor to push the pin out, then open the driver door, the pin will retract. If it does not retract then you have other problems.

I went right to a DC charge after the fix....all good, no problems!

If you take it to the dealer for service, have them check the charge connector locking servo.

My 2017 FFE is 4,335 miles old. I charge almost exclusively DC quick.

Good info, thanks for details.

Curious to see what long term effect all that fast charging has on battery health.

There are a few CCS stations around me, but i have yet to need one on my 2017.

Jon_h said:

Curious to see what long term effect all that fast charging has on battery health.

From what I've read on the topic it accelerates battery degradation in the single didget percent over many years. So yeah you will lose capacity fast charging but not very much an not very quickly. We'll see how this applies to the FFE battery in a few years.

Jon_h said:

From what I've read on the topic it accelerates battery degradation in the single didget percent over many years. So yeah you will lose capacity fast charging but not very much an not very quickly. We'll see how this applies to the FFE battery in a few years.

Jon_h said:

Hi, i have a problem with my ford focus electric 2017.
The lock pin goes out to lock then 2 seconds later it retracts causing the DC communication to end. I tried 3 other cars and it is the same thing. Any ideas what is wrong here?

Car is in Egypt and imported from US. Dealer here doesnt know anything about Electric cars. And this issue is in 5 of our cars.

Hello Sir
I got a problem exactly the same as you. would you please explain a little more about what you did to fix the problem?
thank you

Hello,
I'm having the same problem with 2017 FFE. DC charge will not start. All four led's at the port flash. From this thread it seems like it might be a problem with the locking pin. Anyone else had this problem and successfully fixed it? Thanks.

I'm new on this forum. Don't really know what Forscan is or how to access the codes. From your reply sounds like the problem could be more complicated than I thought. Was hoping it might be something that a DIY novice could fix, like cleaning a dirty contact or something. May have to cave in and take it back to the dealer though I'd prefer not to. Took it to them once already and they told me there was nothing wrong and gave it back to me the same way after two weeks, DC charging still not working.

Have you tried a different DC fast charger? Maybe a different charging network? (to get a different charger manufacturer)
If your vehicle is getting out of warranty, the cost of a forscan license and a usb dongle are cheaper than an hour at the dealer, and you will get information first hand. You will also be able to make configuration changes, read data, and have bidirectional control.

Until you get forscan and a dongle, Engineering Test Mode will show some DTC codes, but not all.
https://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4991

Thanks. I downloaded Forscan and ordered the vLinker. I'll see what codes I can pull up.
I've tried a couple different chargers but all on the same network (shell recharge). I'll try to find a different charging network and test it there.

Hello,
I was able to find this code in forscan which seems like it might be related to the problem I'm having (DC charging will not start). Anyone know what this code means and/or how to fix?
Thanks.

Code: P0D98 - Battery Charger Coupler Unlock Control Circuit Performance

Status (-68):
- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC
- Test not complete

Module: Generic Function Module 2

Freeze Frame #1:
-EVENT_TIME: 188356345 s (Sat May 27 13:58:13 2023) - Event time
-TOTAL_DISTANCE: 55702 km - Total Distance
-MODULE_VOLTAGE: 12.0 V - Control Module Voltage
-OUTDOOR_TEMPERATURE: 29 °C - Outside temperature

The CCS inlet has a locking solenoid with positional feedback to the vehicle - one resistance on the pins when open and one when closed. If the values don't fall in spec, it will assume something is wrong and throw a fault.

The service manual shows them, two wires that run from the port (GFM) to the fast charging module (EVCC, but probably a different designation on Forscan).

Back