Five years, 70k miles

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunther

Hey all, I haven't posted here in almost five years but thought I'd provide a little update. I passed 5 years of FFE ownership back in May (no more payments!) and am now over 70k miles. This pic is from a while back.

view

I'm still really happy with the car. I haven't noticed any dropoff in battery capacity and haven't had any major problems, although I did run into the dead 12V battery a few times. In fact, I wrote up a blog post about what I learned on that, not sure if this is now common knowledge, if not it might be helpful for anyone with 12V problems. The car been my daily commuter this entire time and I've probably gone through about 3,000 charge cycles at this point. Unfortunately my HOV lane decal is going to expire at the end of this year and can't be renewed, so I need to buy a new EV to get a new sticker. :( But I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of this car, and plan to give it to my 16-year old so it stays in the family.

Cheer!
gunther

Fat Focus said:
What are you thinking about to replace the Focus?

Most likely a Chevy Bolt. My biggest complaint about the Focus is the small range. But I'm open to suggestions!

gunther said:
Fat Focus said:

Most likely a Chevy Bolt. My biggest complaint about the Focus is the small range. But I'm open to suggestions!

I'm pretty happy with my Bolt.

Been making a few blog posts about it too: https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

gunther said:
Fat Focus said:

If you can wait a few months, you may want to consider a Hyundai Kona or Kia Niro; those will both be out late 2018 / early 2019, and should have range similar to the Bolt at a similar price. The non-EV versions of those vehicles are out in the US now, so you could go and take a look at them now to see if you're interested. The full EV versions are being sold in Europe and Korea now, and have had excellent reviews.

jmueller065 said:
I'm pretty happy with my Bolt.

Been making a few blog posts about it too: https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

Great blog! Super relevant to me as I think about a Bolt as well, thanks!

Nice, thanks for the update.

We are about to have our paid off too. It will be nice. No gas, no car payment. Yay!!

Inching up towards 100,000.

...but it is running not a replacement battery so not sure it counts. Replacement is amazing, 120+ miles range. Has really demotivated me from getting a low end Tesla.

If my FFE had 120+ miles of range, I don't think I would have gotten rid of it for a Tesla, instead have used the money to buy a play toy (used C7 Corvette, used Boxster/Cayman, new Miata). But, really loving the Tesla!!

Back