12v Solutions?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omen87

Has the overarching solution to the dying 12v batteries been a software update? When I bought my '12 FFE last December I started having a dead battery a couple months later. I chalked it up to a bad battery. The car had a fairly new (dated 2/16) battery in it, but it was a cheap no-name battery. So I replaced it with a Motorcraft battery about a month ago. Everything had been fine until yesterday. When out to start the car and the radio did the "System off to save battery" message. The headlights flickered on and off and the traction battery contactors chattered. I gave it a second to calm down, turned it back off, and then back on and it managed to get itself going. Then I got a yellow wrench warning which only lasted 30 seconds and the light turned back off. Then myFordMobile notified me the battery was low. Thanks for the super timely update. I feel like carrying a boost pack is just a massive bandaid to an issue Ford should have been able to pin down by now.

When we had 12V battery problems a long time ago (haven't had them since the recall / reprogramming), I put a 12V to USB adapter with a voltage display, and a lithium ion jump start battery in the glove box.

I have to remember to keep charging the jump start battery. Fortunately haven't had to use the jump starter. I used that voltage display a lot when we were having the battery problems.

I guess I might have to pick one of those up. My car has had all its recalls and updates except for the door latches which I have scheduled with my dealer on the 28th. I might ask them to plug it in to the diagnostic computer and see if it has any software updates available to it that might alleviate the issue. At least it can't strand me too far from home. :lol:

The thought of buying a Ford is now starting to spook me. I'm currently in a 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser and I've had zero recalls and zero problems with the car. Okay, my up-down action on the drivers side mirror pooped out a year ago. Everything else though has been perfect.

I will definitely keep my Toyota when I get my FFE. The FJ is my toy and the FFE will be my DD. Still ... getting a little skittish on Ford.

I usually put in an Optima battery soon after I install a new stereo. Does the FFE need a new stereo (FJ sure needed one) and would it benefit from an Optima deep-cycle battery?

The FFE's battery is an oddball size. It's a group 67 battery that is only used by the FFE and the C-Max. It's pretty small with less than 400CCA, but it doesn't see the high amp draw of a traditional starter. You may be hard pressed to find an AGM battery that fits.

I found this post over at Focus Fanatics on the stereo upgrade: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/car-audio-sync-myford-touch-electronics/324097-simple-focus-mk3-audio-upgrade.html

My FFE has been at the dealer for a 12V problem since May 18! I was supposed to get it Monday but was out of town. Tuesday AM I got a low 12V battery warning text which in my experience means the 12V is already dead. So today they claim it's fixed. I suggested that they keep it over night and see if the 12V battery isn't dead in the morning. I'll find out tomorrow if I indeed get it back. I thought they had fixed the 12V issue with a software patch. I'm guessing that the software was just a band-aid and the only real fix is a hardware change.

Omen87 said:
I found this post over at Focus Fanatics on the stereo upgrade: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/car-audio-sync-myford-touch-electronics/324097-simple-focus-mk3-audio-upgrade.html
There is another thread, a lot longer with more pictures, of a guy that did a speaker upgrade. I found it a very long time ago. You have to order carefully and the plastic mounts are delicate (remembering from reading the thread).

Ford used a variety of different speakers in the FFE. Can't tell you if you'll hate the speakers in your car or not. Live with them for a while before you decide to upgrade them.

I've had a 2012, a 2013, and a 2012 FFE (and we have a 2012 Focus Titanium with the upgraded sound system). In the FFE there was only one of the bunch that had really good speakers. The other two sounded bad. Given how they are manufactured (in random order with the ICE Focus), it is highly likely they have some mix ups with the speakers they throw in the car. The Focus Titanium has no need for an upgrade - then again that has a sub (or really a big bass module) in the rear. There isn't room to put that in the FFE.

I kept the stereo and upgraded the front door speakers. I checked the right-to-left-door difference after finishing the right door and it was night and day improved. I didn't even get ultra-expensive speakers. Nothing seems to be plug and play, though, so expect to do some custom fitting on both speakers.

Add me to the list. Got an e-mail stating the Time Setting in the car was off. Went to check on the car a few hours later and it's totally dead. Had it towed to the dealer yesterday.

Sigh....and I thought I'd dodge all the 12V and SSN bullets. Oh well.

Update - they replaced the battery. Said they couldn't find anything that would have drained it.

EVA said:
Omen87 said:
There is another thread, a lot longer with more pictures, of a guy that did a speaker upgrade. I found it a very long time ago. You have to order carefully and the plastic mounts are delicate (remembering from reading the thread).

Ford used a variety of different speakers in the FFE. Can't tell you if you'll hate the speakers in your car or not. Live with them for a while before you decide to upgrade them.

I've had a 2012, a 2013, and a 2012 FFE (and we have a 2012 Focus Titanium with the upgraded sound system). In the FFE there was only one of the bunch that had really a bass speakers for home speakers. The other two sounded bad. Given how they are manufactured (in random order with the ICE Focus), it is highly likely they have some mix ups with the speakers they throw in the car. The Focus Titanium has no need for an upgrade - then again that has a sub (or really a big bass module) in the rear. There isn't room to put that in the FFE.

Every bass fan knows that selecting a great bass speaker is usually a good art.

Back