How to replace a lost key

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajolley

I lost one of my keys, so I only have one.
I asked the dealer how much it would be to replace and they quoted me $400. Which is INSANE, right?
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to replace a key without paying so much???

You can buy a replacement on ebay and then have the dealer or locksmith program it. It will be much less than 400.

I think I've seen people post before that it cost them in the neighborhood of $250. I want to say the key was like $120ish and they charge 45min to an hour of labor because they have to hook up the car to their computer and then "pair" all the key fobs you have to your car. They will need both of your fobs because the process wipes out all keys that are "paired" to the vehicle. Some of the cars you can program a 3rd fob if you have 2. I tried to do this only to find out at after buying a spare fob from ebay that on the '14 and earlier it's impossible for an owner to program a 3rd key. I don't know about the newer ones. Anyway that's useless for you anyway since you only have 1 key. FORScan had the ability to program keys on earlier Fords. Might be worth checking if they've updated the software to allow programming fobs for our FFEs.

Thanks. They said that the new fob is a couple hundred, and since I don't have two keys, they have to reprogram them both and set the car to recognize it. And that's why it's $400 instead of $200. I'll call a locksmith to see if that's something they can do.

ajolley said:
Thanks. They said that the new fob is a couple hundred, and since I don't have two keys, they have to reprogram them both and set the car to recognize it. And that's why it's $400 instead of $200. I'll call a locksmith to see if that's something they can do.

A good locksmith can do this for you. We needed a replacement proximity key / fob for our Nissan, and the locksmith did it for under $200, including hardware, cutting the blade, and re-programming the existing key.

Keith

Not sure that this is the exact model for your car, but once you figure the model number, similar deals can be found on ebay. So, you just saved $120 off dealer price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-5-button-smart-key-fob-push-button-start-w-remote-start-w-pwr-liftgate/263753827239?fits=Model%3AFocus%7CSubmodel%3AElectric&epid=1833552252&hash=item3d68f403a7:g:9RAAAOSwiAlZ5SjA

For my Fiat 500e, I had to order the key assembly from Fiat Chrysler, because they were the only ones who could cut the key blank. They requested the VIN, did a lookup of the profile, cut the key and shipped it off. I bought the key from a part wholesaler (cheaper than a dealer) had to provide proof of ownership (faxed registration) and Fiat Chrysler shipped the key directly to me. I then took the key to the dealership and paid $100 for the programming. What a ripoff, the guy only took 20 minutes. Anyhow, after taxes and shipping and such, it was a total of $270.

True that registration is not proof of ownership, but rather operation. Still they did not need the title.

As for the FFE, consider that the metal key is only used if you have a 12V battery problem. So cutting the key isn't the highest priority. The programming is. So if Forscan could do the key fob programming, then it could be fairly reasonable (cough, cough) to get another "Key".

A quick look on ebay finds for the FFE under $27:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Ford-F...e:Ford&hash=item443e04ec10:g:MP8AAOSwfzJdymcO
or
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Smart-Remo...e:Ford&hash=item2cfe7ef756:g:6PoAAOSwhEtd7jcv

If you still want to cut a metal key, the one included with the above fobs might not work in your particular vehicle. I believe the 2012-2016 used a different type of blank than the 2017-2018.

Well, it worked. I checked my keys, and they were the BT4T type. I ordered from the link I provided and the key fob arrived today.
On the left is the original Ford key fob, on the right is the made in China version.

Button side
button-side.jpg

Battery side
battery-side.jpg

Closer up
close-up.jpg

Note how the Ford original is made by Continental. Yeah, the tire company.

As you can see the China version is a little stripped down. Also, the China version has four pins at the top that makes me think that is for a programming interface. Meaning, that both the CJ5T and BT4T shipped from this vendor are one in the same, they just program them to be different. The two coil antenna on the China version alludes to this.

So programming was pretty easy, when you finally find the correct instructions. Here they are:

1.Open the floor console storage compartment lid.
2.Remove the tray.
3.Place the first programmed intelligent access key flat on the symbol at the bottom of the floor console storage compartment.
4.Press the START STOP button.
5.Wait five seconds and then press theSTART STOP button again.
6.Remove the intelligent access key.
7.Within 10 seconds, place a secondprogrammed intelligent access key flaton the symbol.
8.Press the START STOP button.
9.Wait five seconds and then press theSTART STOP button again.
10.Remove the intelligent access key.
11.Within 10 seconds, place the unprogrammed intelligent access key flat on the symbol.
12.Press the START STOP button. Programming is now complete. Check that the remote control functions operate and your vehicle starts with the new intelligent access key.

The new key works, albeit a little slower, perhaps because it is running an emulator of sorts.

I realize this thread was about replacing a lost key, meaning there are not two available to perform this programing. However, for those of us that already have two keys and do not wish to get into that situation, this is a fairly inexpensive approach. Consider it like insurance.

Back