New to me 2013 Focus Electric - 42 mi on full charge?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonemonkey

I bought a used 2013 Focus Electric with around 43k miles on it yesterday. Today I finally have a full charge and the display says a budget of 42 mi with 14 bonus - 56 total. Huh? I thought the range was 76? I know there's bound to be battery degradation eventually, but this much? Am I missing something?

I had it charged once to 65% and it said 46 might with no bonus.

School me on how the battery and charging and display works. Did I buy a lemon?

Thanks!

Turned it on again and now it says 56 mi budget and 0 bonus. That makes more sense to me that a 6 year old EV might have lost 19 mi of battery capicity.

How to slow the degradation?

The estimated range is based on some combination of the last usage rate and the current settings. Drive the car hard before shutdown and it will look low at startup, as well as the reverse. Startup and turn the heat on, and the estimated range will drop instantly. Once you start driving around, the number will adjust to a more accurate estimate. That adjustment is the "+" number next to the range (unless you have a destination set in the nav system, then it is range left at destination.)

You can get a reading of actual kWh capacity by tracking on the trip meter. If you can run it from full to empty you can use that trip meter energy reading to know for certain how much capacity is lost.

My 2012 was down 20-25% from the original capacity when I bought it in 2016. 5% loss per year is a pretty good estimate to keep in mind.

My 2013 was averaging 70-ish with mixed driving (some hills) and up to 90-95 miles strictly in city. This is optimal conditions, no AC, 70 degrees, stop and go.

Back