Debating buying a 2013, what is the typical battery life?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infinkc

Have the chance to buy a relatives 2013 with 61k on it. My only concern is how long will the battery still last? If only 2 more years then it’s not worth it. How long is it covered under warranty?

The battery and powertrain have a 8 year,100 K mile warranty, but not against degradation on the battery. Battery degradation depends on so many factors that any individual's experience isn't much of a barometer. Basically, the more and harder you work any battery, the more capacity it loses over time. My 2013 show no loss I notice at 30K miles. Be sure to get a feel for the actual capacity on a high mileage FFE before you buy it.

My advice, look at the range you get when the car is fully charged. Then give it a good testdrive with your average driving style...don't baby it as it will give you a false sense of the range you can expect. At least 20 miles. Take the actual miles driven and subtract from the original range estimate....does this match the range currently shown? If so, and you can live with that range, and you can live with another 15% degradation over the next 65k miles, then you're in good shape.

If you intend to drive in cold climate and want to use your heater, that will take a good bite out of your range. AC doesn't typically decrease your range too much.

If you intend to drive up a mountain...or large hill...expect your range to take a hit as the car will start to estimate your range assuming that you continue with the same driving condition. This is also important to note on your test drive. The range decrease for this driving condition is expected. If you go down a hill, then the opposite is true...you'll get more range added to the total.

There are ways to display the math I mentioned, performed for you, on the dashboard, but that is too much to explain. There are plenty of articles in the forum here about determining the remaining capacity of the battery, the nuances of the guess-o-meter (estimated range), and even some data from others regarding degradation.

Best of luck. A fun car to drive.

The problem is Ford doesn't want to support this car. After the 8 year warranty you are SOL if the battery coolant springs a leak inside the battery as has happened to several people. A replacement battery is over $20k so not worth it at all. Pretty much after the warranty the FFE is a disposable car once something major fails. Unfortunately it's a gamble how long that will be. Nobody knows since none have surpassed the 8 year warranty.

Thanks all, i picked up the FFE. Figure the price i got it for i can drive it for 2 more years and still make it worth my while.

Back