My FFE has died - symptoms of battery failure

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James

I've owned my 2012 FFE since the summer of 2013. Overall, I've been happy with the car, but like many others I've experienced a few Stop Safety Now incidents along the way. All so far have been fairly minor, mostly happening in my garage at start-up and easily reset by restarting the car a couple times.

That was, until yesterday. On my drive home yesterday I experienced my first SSN while driving, lost power and coasted to the shoulder of the road. Unfortunately, the SSN message wouldn't go away using the reset produdures provide by Ford in one of their recall lettes (power-off, restart after 2 minutes). I also tried the power-off, open door, restart but nothing would work. I tried for about an hour and a half while waiting for the tow truck and the 12 volt battery finally went dead before the truck arrived (obviously no power was making it out of the high voltage battery to the 12 volt battery).

The tow truck tried to boost the 12 volt battery to hopefully drive it on the truck, but as soon as it was turned on, it threw a SSN warning and wouldn't move. Unfortunately, I've not had good experiences with the dealer it was towed to and don't have much confidence in their ability or willingness to solve the problem without completely emptying my wallet in the process (my last and final visit to this particular dealer was when they they tried to charge me an hour's labor to measure my tire tread depth to evaluate for warranty replacement).

I'm wondering what symptoms others have experienced before a high voltage battery failure, and if anyone has tips on typical diagonistic codes I should be aware of or TSBs I can refer the dealer to etc. I've already been told to expect a fee just to diagnose, which I honestly feel should be covered under the battery/electric components 8-year warranty. Ford has had enough documented SSN problems that they should be providing free diagnostic without question.

I'm located in Canada so any experiences form fellow Canadians would be especially appreciated, but all any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

So the dealer has concluded that the HV battery has failed and Ford has approved a warranty replacement. I haven't received any paperwork, so I don't know the cause of the failure yet. I've been told that the battery may "take a while" to arrive (they are working on a ETA), however, Ford won't provide a loaner vehicle. Have other received a loaner vehicle, and did you have to challenge Ford to receive one?

The other part that doesn't quite seem to make sense is that they aren't replacing the HV wiring. I received an extended warranty letter identifying an issue with the HV wire - it would seem to make sense to replace it while the car is apart. What have other experienced?

First of all, your symptoms seem similar to mine when the car needed the replacement battery. As for a loaner car, I'd venture to guess that it isn't mandatory that anything be provided to you unless the warranty provides it and I don't think it does. Ford or the Dealer may provide it on good will. When my 2012 battery died, as soon as it was diagnosed, I got a brand-new Ford Fusion Hybrid. It had 10 miles on the odo and no plates. So you might be able to ask your dealer to ask Ford on your behalf.
The ETA may also vary, but it was 40 days before I got my car back. I had put over 1000 miles on the new Fusion by the time I returned it.
The car has been great since then. No SSNs, but I did have 2 issues related to the battery replacement. 1) They forgot to put the coolant back in. The car didn't get too hot when running, but the charging circuit did and would stop charging when it got too hot. Took me a day or two to figure out what was going on and had the dealer fix it. The second happened about 1 year later when I actually did get an SSN. Turns out the dealer didn't fully seat the HV connector at the back passenger side wheel well. All of which was no cost to me other than some frustration.

But yeah, still love the car. Hope it lasts me another 6 years at least.

So an update from the dealer today - no loaner vehicle, and I'm apparently getting a refurbished battery pack. I can live with no loaner (the dealer says the battery will arrive at the dealer in 5-7 business days) but I'm really disappointed about a refurbished battery. I know that the is no obligation for Ford to provide a brand new pack, but I've read that others have received a new, larger capacity battery. Are refurbished batteries even available? I'm really hoping the dealer is mistaken.

On a side note, I was told that the battery has a leak. Won't know for sure until I see the invoice, but my guess is an internal coolant leak....

Must say I'm rather shocked. They had been putting the bigger pack in cars for a while now.

I would call Ford customer service ASAP. They have an electric/hybrid division, make sure you select that option. What's the worst they can say? No?

I tried calling Ford Canada Customer service. I'm assuming the Canadian telephone menu is different than the US because there was no option for Hybrid/Electric vehicles. Unfortunately, the agent wouldn't allow me to speak to the warranty department for electric vehicles as they said warranty support from Ford is only for dealers. They referred me back to the dealer, and suggested I speak to the Service Manager.

I've sent an email asking for clarification, but I haven't yet received a response. If it's really true that I'm getting a re-manufactured battery, I suspect that it's just a used battery that's been tested to be within specification. That wouldn't give me much confidence, as there is obviously a design defect (at least in early cars) that causing coolant leaks. I'd be worried that a used pack would suffer the same failure at some point, and I only have a year of battery warranty left.

It would be just my luck that Ford is sourcing used packs now that the FFE is out of production.....

So I spoke too soon and just heard back from the dealer. It is indeed a "re-manufactured" battery. The part number is CM5Z 10B759 TARM .. Needless to say, I'm not impressed. I definitely want to know what they have done to "re-manufacture" it and what the warranty is...... I'd also really, really like to know if anyone else has had a recent replacement and what battery they received.

Got my 2012 FFE back after being without it for 7.5 months (Jan 11 - Aug 28 to be exact). Refurbished battery, only getting 15kwh out of it, from 100% to 0%. How much kwh do you get from yours?

Well, I’m not liking what I am reading, I’m in the same situation. My 2012 after 3 faults that required being towed to the dealership was finally told about the recall on the wiring harness. However the corrosion on the battery is so bad the tech won’t install it. I’ve been told it needs to be replaced but Ford won’t respond to the dealer. I’ve been without the vehicle since July and really hoping it is not seven months. To be honest I’ll be back in a combustion engine before I wait 7 months for a replacement. Has anyone had any success escalating their case, I’m not getting anywhere with Ford or my dealer.

CanadianFFE said:
Well, I’m not liking what I am reading, I’m in the same situation. My 2012 after 3 faults that required being towed to the dealership was finally told about the recall on the wiring harness. However the corrosion on the battery is so bad the tech won’t install it. I’ve been told it needs to be replaced but Ford won’t respond to the dealer. I’ve been without the vehicle since July and really hoping it is not seven months. To be honest I’ll be back in a combustion engine before I wait 7 months for a replacement. Has anyone had any success escalating their case, I’m not getting anywhere with Ford or my dealer.

Yes, Ford Customer service was VERY helpful with my issue. Heavily suggest calling them.

Back