Road trip (rental)

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSH

Hi,

Long-time EV lurker, read a lot about EVs. Renting an FFE 2017 this weekend for a 190 mile road trip. Hoping to get some suggestions. I am sure the answers to my questions are in the forum, but there is not much time to search at this late stage. So here goes:

Highway driving: Can someone reference a range versus speed chart?

Temperature:
Going up: Mid 40s to Low 50s
Return trip: Low 50s to low 60s
Any tips for reducing cabin heating drain on the battery?

Itinerary:
Home to first CCS charger: 30 miles
To next CCS charger: 70 miles
To next CCS charger: 15 miles
To final destination: 100 miles

On the final leg, there are no more CCS. There are a number of L2 chargers in the final section. Current plan is to stop for a few hours if necessary in this section, depending on charge level.

The trip is entirely on the interstate. But I have always been a slow driver and interested in driving 55-60 mph where (safely) possible to save battery power.

Hmmm, what else?

Thanks so much!! :D

I've gotta ask. where in the heck are you able to RENT an FFE????

When you say "up" do you mean up in elevation? If so, throw your mileage estimates out the window.

Fat Focus said:
When you say "up" do you mean up in elevation? If so, throw your mileage estimates out the window.

The elevation modulates from 600 to 800 feet above sea level. Very slight.

jmueller065 said:
Being from the mid-west: When we say "up" it usually means "up north" and not "up a mountain" as the landscape is generally flat LOL.

Yes, this is the idea :D

See my comments in red:

Highway driving: Can someone reference a range versus speed chart?
don't know that there is one. Pretty much anything above 55-60mph and your range drops exponentially. Also temperature and climate control usage greatly affects range. An EV is essentially opposite of the ICE car you are used to. You get much better range in city traffic than on the freeway. There is a wealth of information here: https://avt.inl.gov/vehicle-button/2013-ford-focus only difference is the one you'll be driving has about 10kWh more battery capacity and CSS charging

Temperature:
Going up: Mid 40s to Low 50s
Return trip: Low 50s to low 60s
Any tips for reducing cabin heating drain on the battery?
Any battery temp below 50F and the battery TMS kicks in. Not much you can do about it. To reduce cabin heating drain on the battery simply do not use it. at those temps you should be just fine with a jacket. If you have condensation problems you have 2 options that won't affect range much. 1) crack a window or 2) set the climate control on vent, temp setting of lo and AC off. This will bring in outside air and not use any heat or AC. If you put the fan on the windshield you will run the AC compressor, no way to avoid it with that setting.

Itinerary:
Home to first CCS charger: 30 miles
To next CCS charger: 70 miles
To next CCS charger: 15 miles
To final destination: 100 miles
Caveat: I have a '14 with the smaller battery and no CCS so my only DCFC experience is with my Tesla. DC fast charging is very non-linear. It slows down greatly as the battery approaches full. Make sure you have an account with the CCS charge station providers you plan to visit so you can actually use them. If your travel is on freeway being able to go 100mi is likely wishful thinking. With the 33.5kWh battery you will have about 26-28kWh usable. Probably on the lower end since it's still cool (battery capacity increases with temp). So if you do the math that means to go 100 miles you have to use no more than 260Wh/mi (26kWh/100miles). There is an enhanced trip meter you can use to show you your running average power consumption in Wh/mi. This time a year I usually average somewhere in the upper 200's Wh/mi I'm in Toledo, OH so fairly similar weather as Chicago.
The GuessOmeter (remaining range) is just that, a guess. It tends to be wildly inaccurate above 50% battery.

On the final leg, there are no more CCS. There are a number of L2 chargers in the final section. Current plan is to stop for a few hours if necessary in this section, depending on charge level.
You will need one of these. FYI these usually provide about 20-25miles of range per hour of charging. Unfortunately the FFE doesn't provide a way to see what rate the L2 charge station is supplying

The trip is entirely on the interstate. But I have always been a slow driver and interested in driving 55-60 mph where (safely) possible to save battery power.
driving slow will be your friend! I took my FFE on the Ohio turnpike in December a few years ago and had to slow down to 50mph! to be able to make it the 63 miles to the next rest stop that had RV hookups for me to charge at. That was knuckle biting as at one point the GuessOmeter indicated I had 4 fewer miles of range than needed to get to my destination.

Excellent information triangles! Thank you!

One option for the last stretch is going off-interstate. There are two routes, both same distance, but one longer time but less chargers, and one more time but more chargers. These two routes are both in the 45-55 mph range. On the less time route, there is one charging location with only one PlugShare check-in: (https://www.plugshare.com/location/169052).

Another option in the last stretch is doing part-interstate, part-off interstate. Do highway for 52 miles, then stop in at a reputable (36 check-ins) Holiday Inn in Fond du Lac: (https://www.plugshare.com/location/78533). From there, go off-interstate 68 miles to the destination.

Summary
1:29 92 miles - Interstate
2:02 92 miles - Off-interstate, fast but only one L2 charger
2:17 94 miles - Off-interstate, slower but many L2 chargers
1:49 92 miles - Mixed interstate off-interstate, 52 miles one I-41, then 68 miles on off-interstate roads

triangles said:
Make sure you have an account with the CCS charge station providers you plan to visit so you can actually use them.

The DCFC are EvGo. Signed up for an account and going to install their phone app shortly. Signed up for Chargepoint per the (FFE) owners suggestion as well. The HI location (above) is apparently free charging!?

triangles said:
There is an enhanced trip meter you can use to show you your running average power consumption in Wh/mi.

Is this enhanced meter in the car, online, or as a phone app?

Back