'14 FFE Blowing Cold Air and No Heat

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphac2005

Our 2014 FFE is not blowing out hot air and the AC seems to be working oddly. When turning on the heat from a warm range to high, it simply blows out cold air. Interestingly enough, when I turn it on high and set it to the defogger mode, when opening the hood, I can clearly feel very warm heat being generated and blown around under the hood. The air blowing inside the cabin remains cold. When going in to AC mode, it seems to blow extremely cold and even colder air depending on the temperature setting.

On the power generation image, when the AC is on, the majority of the time it draws electricity into the climate image, but when turning on the heat, there is no flow to it. It's simply cutoff. The coolant level is at the correct level in the reserve and I've tested all related fuses, which all are properly drawing.

I just wanted to hear of any ideas before having to bring it in.

Did you read the machine errors?
Focus Electric has a sophisticated heating and cooling system associated with the battery, interior heater, engine cooling and inverter.

Thanks for the message. My OBD reader gets an error code when using it in the FFE. What reader would work?

you need to use an ELM ODB dongle and forscan software to read the codes on the FFE.

It sounds like you have air in your heater loop. Check your coolant level. Either that or the pump for the heater coolant isn't working. Unless you just want to take it in you really need to be able to read the codes to do any trouble shooting. Search on these forums, using an ODB dongle and forscan has been thoroughly discussed.

triangles said:
you need to use an ELM ODB dongle and forscan software to read the codes on the FFE.

It sounds like you have air in your heater loop. Check your coolant level. Either that or the pump for the heater coolant isn't working. Unless you just want to take it in you really need to be able to read the codes to do any trouble shooting. Search on these forums, using an ODB dongle and forscan has been thoroughly discussed.

I appreciate the help and will be reading the codes once I get the scanning tool.

I ran the scanner and there was one problem: It's unable to communicate with the air conditioning control module. So, I'm going to make the assumption that the module is the issue and that's why we're experiencing all of these air issues. No codes from the module as it couldn't even communicate with it.

I had this issue when I had my battery replaced and the dealer forgot to put the coolant back in. After I filled it myself, 2 of the 3 coolant loops were able to purge the air out of the system except the cabin heater loop. If standing in front of the car looking at the motor bay and the hood up, the cabin heater loop is on the left side and goes back to the firewall. There are a few things you can do.
1) squeeze the hose going back to the cabin. If there is air in the system, I think you'll be able to detect it if you squeeze from the top. Find a hose that is lower and to the right side of the car to compare. If there is air in the system, you might be able to tell due to the difference in feel.
2) When you fist turn on the heater, look at the climate power consumption. It is one of the selectable gauges for the left side of the speedometer. If you see a high current draw at first and then it stops, it means that it heated the water around the PTC heater and reached its temperature very quickly...and that would indicate there is no coolant flow...which is what will happen if there is air in the system.

The problem with the heater loop is that there is no degas lines to purge the air. To get the air out, the dealer will configure the various diverters to form one bit loop to purge the air out of the system. If you have the Forscan software and the bluetooth OBD module, I hear you can do this yourself, but I haven't done it personally. When I had the issue, the dealer covered it.

Back