can replace 23kw battery by new 33kw wiht same AC charger

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TareqAwad said:
EVA said:
cutler03gt said:
I recall sharing that the retail price for the HV battery set (includes upper and lower packs) was in the $8K range (maybe in another thread). Apparently it was an issue with purchasing, cataloging or someone... The catalog has recently been corrected to the appropriate price. $22K now :shock:

Wonder how long it's been at the wrong price and if any have even been sold at that price, that were out of warranty. Probably none, but who knows.

Somebody may have purchased a battery - car accident and needed a replacement. That would not be a warranty repair. On the other hand, if the rear of the car were that damaged, the car is probably totaled anyway - so probably no purchase.

I checked AutoNation parts - they still list this battery (BATTERY - 2016 FORD FOCUS (CM5Z10B759K) at $7700 (list $8200). No description of battery size.

At that site it isn't possible to find parts for a 2017 Ford Focus. The front end car selector doesn't have a 2017 Focus as an option to even choose.

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/ford/focus/cm5z10b759k/2016-year/electric-trim/electric-engine/electric-propulsion-system-cat/battery-scat/?part_name=battery
https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fus...&diagram=FY2070&Title=-Focus-Electric-BATTERY

That is the same part number, listed for a 2017 Focus, at $8,000

I got a SSN error again and the dealer diagnosed the battery as the issue. Ordered one, but they rejected the proposed fix by the dealer and is having the battery sent back to Ford. My service rep said the battery cost was over $20k. I had thought it was around $8k as posted in this forum so I was wondering why she said $20k. Being more than the value of the car, buying one of these would make no sense for any reason when you can get a slightly used battery for less with the car attached.

I've got a real answer for this thread. I bought my car in November of 2012 so I was an early adopter (and paid a premium for that!) and had the 23Kwh battery. When the car was new I regular showed 78 miles of range. In November 2018 with just shy of 45,000 miles on the car (by this time my range had gone down to a shown 68 miles so I lost 12% of my battery capacity after 45k miles) it threw the yellow wrench warning light then shortly thereafter threw the "pull over somewhere safe" warning and refused to run. Had it towed to my dealer and then when I got home I noticed a small pool of coolant on my garage floor. I let the tech know about the coolant and sure enough, they found the upper battery was leaking. Ford approved replacement of both the upper and lower battery units.

After 29 days in the shop my car sent me a text message saying it had thrown a fault code so I knew they were finally working on the car. When I got up in the morning I had a text message from the car saying it was fully charged so I logged into the app and was elated to see that I was showing 102 miles of range! It is quite clear that the replacements battery packs are the 33.5Kwh version (the receipt shows the part number H1FZ-10B759-J for the replacement battery combo so last letter different than posted above). The car is in near perfect shape and now it has 100 miles of range. I am super happy.

The battery replacement, along with the door latch and 110v charging cord recalls, came to a total of $21,000+USD. Thankfully it was covered under the 8-year/80,000-mile powertrain warranty. I am not sure what I would have done if Ford did not cover it. Look for a battery out of a junked car perhaps?

So long story short - yes the 33.5Kwh battery units are bolt-in replacements and use the same charger and it appears no software update needed.

Phoenix

Phoenix said:
So long story short - yes the 33.5Kwh battery units are bolt-in replacements and use the same charger and it appears no software update needed.

I think other members who have had their battery replaced with the newer 33.5 kwh pack mentioned that an engineer had to come out to do some programming to use the extra capacity. I've never had my battery replaced so I have no clue.

Back