EVSE Recall mail

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanhdaica1985

Did any of you receive the mail for a remedy for this recall? I thought the EVSE will be available at the end of 2018.

I went to the dealer yesterday about the recall since the Ford mailer said new cables would be available in December. The parts department said there were some in general inventory, but the recall order process might run through a different, more timne consuming channel. At least I have the process started. We'll see what happens.

EVSE Update: While there are some EVSE in the system, those are not for the recall. EVSE for the recall will be available "in the first quarter of 2019." Are my expectations high? Well, the postcard I got last year said they'd be ready in December 2018.

We'll see.

My dealer said it would be here in about a week. Has anyone gotten a new one yet? Any difference in appearance/function?

like kalel14 said. it's pretty much the same. There is just a thermistor in the plug now to detect heat due to a crappy recepticle or corrosion on your plug. This tells the unit to either throttle back or turn off if it detects heat. Not sure exactly what it does when it detects heat other than saves you from a melted plug and potential fire.

Picked mine up today! Actually, my neighbor is a tech at Ford, so he brought it home for me. This unit looks very familiar, I'm pretty sure its the same as Chevy uses on their Volt.

Yep, its the same EVSE that comes with 2nd gen Volts (made by Clipper Creek). Should just need an adapter to plug into 220V outlet and it should charge at 3.3kw or 3.6kw.. cant remember. I remember reading this thread about the subject when I owned a Volt. Owners have been using this for a few years without issues. I dont think I'll use it at home, but it'll be great on the road.

https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?218442-2016-Volt-120v-EVSE-is-L1-L2-Conversion-Capable

121gigawatts said:
Yep, its the same EVSE that comes with 2nd gen Volts (made by Clipper Creek). Should just need an adapter to plug into 220V outlet and it should charge at 3.3kw or 3.6kw.. cant remember. I remember reading this thread about the subject when I owned a Volt. Owners have been using this for a few years without issues. I dont think I'll use it at home, but it'll be great on the road.

https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?218442-2016-Volt-120v-EVSE-is-L1-L2-Conversion-Capable

Wow 109 pages on that post! sheesh

Just adds to my collection of EVSE's ;) (Bosch, Clipper Creek, JuiceBox, GM)

jmueller065 said:
121gigawatts said:

Wow 109 pages on that post! sheesh

Just adds to my collection of EVSE's ;) (Bosch, Clipper Creek, JuiceBox, GM)

From what I remember, you just need to make (or buy) a Nema 5-15 (household 110v outlet) to 220v outlet of your choice. If you search ebay Im pretty sure someone from the EV world sells NEMA 5-15 to NEMA 6-50 adapters, and the like. I should have one floating around my basement from my Volt.. Its nice because you can buy 4-5 different outlet adapters and keep them in the trunk for emergencies. Sometimes camp sites, golf courses, grocery stores, ect, have 220V outlets but not charging stations.

When I had a Volt I wasn't too concerned, but I may pick up a few now.

121gigawatts said:
From what I remember, you just need to make (or buy) a Nema 5-15 (household 110v outlet) to 220v outlet of your choice. If you search ebay Im pretty sure someone from the EV world sells NEMA 5-15 to NEMA 6-50 adapters, and the like. I should have one floating around my basement from my Volt.. Its nice because you can buy 4-5 different outlet adapters and keep them in the trunk for emergencies. Sometimes camp sites, golf courses, grocery stores, ect, have 220V outlets but not charging stations.

When I had a Volt I wasn't too concerned, but I may pick up a few now.

Actually, that is what my Clipper Creek EVSE is for: I keep it in the "trunk" of the Bolt with some adapters. Used most frequently is the 14-50 one for RV parks (since my car is our toad--first the C-Max, now the Bolt).

boltreadyletsgo.jpg

So my dealer is claiming they have to keep my car for half a day in order to replace the evse. They're claiming there's some kind of inspection that has to happen. This is a giant pain in the ass for me since I have to drop off my car, get a ride to work, get a ride back to the dealership later in the day... just to have the charging cable swapped out. Am I right to be annoyed or is there actually some other work that I'm not aware of that has to be done that requires keeping my car for half a day?

Has anyone plugged this in to 240 and confirmed it works? I just picked mine up, and if it works, I'll hire an electrician to install 240 in my garage.

I've had Ella for almost 4 years, and have charged 95% of the time on 120! The other 5% was at a garage near work with L2.

TrojanEV said:
So my dealer is claiming they have to keep my car for half a day in order to replace the evse. They're claiming there's some kind of inspection that has to happen. This is a giant pain in the ass for me since I have to drop off my car, get a ride to work, get a ride back to the dealership later in the day... just to have the charging cable swapped out. Am I right to be annoyed or is there actually some other work that I'm not aware of that has to be done that requires keeping my car for half a day?

This sounds totally bogus.

Crash said:
Has anyone plugged this in to 240 and confirmed it works? I just picked mine up, and if it works, I'll hire an electrician to install 240 in my garage.

I've had Ella for almost 4 years, and have charged 95% of the time on 120! The other 5% was at a garage near work with L2.

Check out the link I posted, and skip to the last 3-4 pages. It seem like its plug and play with an adapter.. I've got to ask, why is a cheap EVSE the tipping point to being the reason you add a 220 to your garage? Surely the 220 is way more expensive than the EVSE. A few years ago I sold my Volt EVSE for $240 on ebay, then bought a used 15A L2 EVSE for $175. Its not that much more money for an L2 EVSE, especially if you're happy with a 15A L2. You can get a used 30A Clipper Creek for $300.

TrojanEV said:

Go to another dealer.. Its Ford, they must have another one 10 miles in any direction. I'm in Iowa and when my Chevy dealer said they wouldn't do a warranty repair on my EVSE (Volt) I went to the next one 2.3 miles away and they were happy to do it.

121gigawatts said:
I've got to ask, why is a cheap EVSE the tipping point to being the reason you add a 220 to your garage?

Two reasons:

1. Weekdays I rarely drive over 5 miles, so the L1 always has me fully charged every morning.

2. Sheer laziness :D Since the L1 had me covered, never even looked at installing L2.

Back