carbuff

Re: Go time - not working?

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:11 am

121gigawatts wrote:I have the "Ford Protect" used car warranty. I haven't gone through it completely, but I think its close to bumper to bumper. I have the warranty history and it looks like the Telematics Control Unit has been replaced under the warranty already.
Thats a good sign. But there was a time frame under which all the TCU units were replaced for free under a special warranty because ford switched networks from 2g to 3g. But that special warranty expired at least a year ago. So its hard to tell whether it was replaced under the "recall" warranty or was covered by your extended warranty. I had the ford cpo warranty and it was bumper to bumper for a year and they fixed a ton of stuff for free on my car, which was great, but they eventually couldnt fix it any more and gave up, leaving me holding the bag, a $2300 bag at that.

121gigawatts

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:56 pm

carbuff wrote:
121gigawatts wrote:I have the "Ford Protect" used car warranty. I haven't gone through it completely, but I think its close to bumper to bumper. I have the warranty history and it looks like the Telematics Control Unit has been replaced under the warranty already.
Thats a good sign. But there was a time frame under which all the TCU units were replaced for free under a special warranty because ford switched networks from 2g to 3g. But that special warranty expired at least a year ago. So its hard to tell whether it was replaced under the "recall" warranty or was covered by your extended warranty. I had the ford cpo warranty and it was bumper to bumper for a year and they fixed a ton of stuff for free on my car, which was great, but they eventually couldnt fix it any more and gave up, leaving me holding the bag, a $2300 bag at that.
You were correct, it stated "modem update" next to the work. Is this a pretty common issue?

jmueller065

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:06 pm

121gigawatts wrote: You were correct, it stated "modem update" next to the work. Is this a pretty common issue?
Wasn't an "issue" (e.g. something wrong with the modem) it was the fact that AT&T decommissioned the 2G network and thus the cars couldn't talk to the server anymore unless they were upgraded to 3G.
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

121gigawatts

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:13 pm

jmueller065 wrote:
121gigawatts wrote: You were correct, it stated "modem update" next to the work. Is this a pretty common issue?
Wasn't an "issue" (e.g. something wrong with the modem) it was the fact that AT&T decommissioned the 2G network and thus the cars couldn't talk to the server anymore unless they were upgraded to 3G.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was stating that the warranty repair listed on my car was just an update, not a repair. Was communication (or lack thereof) an issue after it was updated? The threat of a $2.3k repair scares me, and I'm just wondering if this thing is going to crap out on me down the road.

jmueller065

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:56 pm

Well "modem update" could very well have been the 2G to 3G update; or it could have been a software update. You don't really know.

My lease was up right around the 2G -> 3G transition. As such my 2013 FFE had a 2G modem in it and my 2016 C-Max had a 3G modem in it.

Not sure about the longevity of the telematics module--mine lasted the 3 years of my lease; triangle's has gone through a couple of them...don't know.
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

triangles

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:24 am

jmueller065 wrote:Not sure about the longevity of the telematics module--mine lasted the 3 years of my lease; triangle's has gone through a couple of them...don't know.
And now my Model 3 telematics has given up the ghost too! :shock: I guess I'm not meant to have a vehicle with telematics... :lol:
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”