An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: EVSE Mounting Ideas
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:09 pm 

Does anyone have a good idea to mount a freestanding EVSE? The wall where my Nema 6-50 is located is right below another 220V outlet as well as my breaker. Given that EVSE's have extremely short cords (and cant be bent much) this leaves me with limited options. It doesn't help that the wall space is very small located between the door and garage door. Wall mounting isn't really an option, that I can see anyways.

My previous EVSE was mounted to c-channel which was then bracketed to a brake rotor (I have several lying around from previous brake jobs). When I sold my Volt, I included the EVSE (and freestanding base). I dont mind that look, but was hoping to go with something classier for my new ChargePoint.

Any ideas??

Post subject: Re: EVSE Mounting Ideas
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:21 am 

Short cords? My Bosch/SPX EVSE (ironically originally sold for the Volt but I've used it for my FFE, C-Max, and now Bolt) has a 20ft cord on it, my Clipper Creek EVSE also has a 20ish ft cord, ok my Juicebox has only about a 3ft cord.

Or do you mean the other cord? The input cord? ah yeah they all have about 2ft on that side.

2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

Post subject: Re: EVSE Mounting Ideas
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:12 am 

jmueller065 wrote:
Or do you mean the other cord? The input cord? ah yeah they all have about 2ft on that side.

Yes, the input cord is gov't mandated to be 18" max. Some cords are slightly longer than others due to a portion of the cord starting further inside the EVSE. The Chargepoint seems much shorter than my Siemens.

I found a good spot to mount the Chargepoint. Originally I didn't think there would be enough room between the wall and garage door, and the cord would get tangled when opening/closing. I chose to mount the EVSE on said wall, but wrap the cable on another wall to avoid getting caught by the door.