charging rates

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

My l2 charger is rated at 16amps at 240v. It can also be used with 120v and says 16a also. The ford convenience charger says 12a at 120v. Is it safe to assume that the dual voltage charger will charge at l1 level faster than the ford? I know its not much but will it actually charge at l1 at 16a?

The car, not the EVSE, determines the charge rate.
At 120V, the car will draw up to 12A or 1440W.
At 240V, the car will draw up to 27.5A or 6600W.

If the EVSE can only deliver 240V @16A (3840W), like yours, you will only charge at 3840W.

Pearl said:

If the EVSE can only deliver 240V @16A (3840W), like yours, you will only charge at 3840W.

Ok, so the most it can draw at 120v is 12 amps? Even though the evse is rated at 16 amps for 120v the max for the car is 12? It will be no faster at 120v than the ford evse? Im doing most of my charging at work which only has 120v available. Ive been using the ford evse and it usually leaves me about 10 miles shy of full when I leave work. I thought that if I got the proper adapter to use the dual voltage evse at 120v that it might charge a little faster since its rated at 16 amps. Or I can just show up to work an hour earlier. LOL.

Carbuff said:
Pearl said:

Ok, so the most it can draw at 120v is 12 amps? Even though the evse is rated at 16 amps for 120v the max for the car is 12? It will be no faster at 120v than the ford evse? Im doing most of my charging at work which only has 120v available. Ive been using the ford evse and it usually leaves me about 10 miles shy of full when I leave work. I thought that if I got the proper adapter to use the dual voltage evse at 120v that it might charge a little faster since its rated at 16 amps. Or I can just show up to work an hour earlier. LOL.
Its a little more nuanced than that: The EVSE tells the car how much the EVSE can provide then its up to the car to determine how much power it will consume.

In my experimentation with my current adjustable JuiceBox the FFE usually consumed as much current as the EVSE said it could provide. Thus if you got an EVSE rated for a little bit more than the Ford one (16A @ 120V instead of 12A @ 120V) the FFE should consume that extra power provided--granted my JuiceBox is a Level 2 @ 240V; the FFE may have a set power consumption when charging from 120V.

jmueller065 said:
Carbuff said:
Pearl said:

Its a little more nuanced than that: The EVSE tells the car how much the EVSE can provide then its up to the car to determine how much power it will consume.

In my experimentation with my current adjustable JuiceBox the FFE usually consumed as much current as the EVSE said it could provide. Thus if you got an EVSE rated for a little bit more than the Ford one (16A @ 120V instead of 12A @ 120V) the FFE should consume that extra power provided--granted my JuiceBox is a Level 2 @ 240V; the FFE may have a set power consumption when charging from 120V.
I did a short experiment where I made a 14-50 to 5-20 adapter that routed neutral to neutral (so the juicebox classic saw a true 120V) and had the current trimpot set to max (40A), but when I probed the hot line with an inductive ammeter I saw 12A. I have not analyzed the JuiceBox's own pilot signal to see if the JuiceBox overrides its current setting and tells the car only 12A is available at 120V though.

jmueller065 your juice box will work at 120V or 240V. The quick click of the relay when you power it up is the Juicebox going thru it's test to see if it's plugged into 120 or 240. It also maintains separate current limits for each voltage. I have mine set at 8A @120V for when I'm parked at the airport. and 32A@240V for when I'm at home (of course 6.6kW is only 27.5A). The FFE is idiot proofed on 120V. As mentioned earlier it will not draw more than 12A on 120V no matter what the EVSE tells it. While this is annoying it probably saves Ford from some idiot who would burn down their house and then blaming Ford for their own stupidity.

spirilis the juicebox indeed will tell the car it can pull whatever amps you set it at. I experimented with the JB and a 120V 30A circuit when I discovered much to my dismay the 12A 120V limitation. The FFE's 12A @ 120V limitation was probably wisely put there by fords legal team.

triangles said:
jmueller065 your juice box will work at 120V or 240V. The quick click of the relay when you power it up is the Juicebox going thru it's test to see if it's plugged into 120 or 240. It also maintains separate current limits for each voltage. I have mine set at 8A @120V for when I'm parked at the airport. and 32A@240V for when I'm at home (of course 6.6kW is only 27.5A). The FFE is idiot proofed on 120V. As mentioned earlier it will not draw more than 12A on 120V no matter what the EVSE tells it. While this is annoying it probably saves Ford from some idiot who would burn down their house and then blaming Ford for their own stupidity.

spirilis the juicebox indeed will tell the car it can pull whatever amps you set it at. I experimented with the JB and a 120V 30A circuit when I discovered much to my dismay the 12A 120V limitation. The FFE's 12A @ 120V limitation was probably wisely put there by fords legal team.
Aye good to know...

Gadget idea for me to dream up whenever I get cozy with AC electronics: General purpose AC-DC-AC inverter to turn any input voltage into 250VAC. Like active UPS's...

I do wonder how much such a beast could reasonably cost.

Guys, thanks for all the responses and the answer to my question. 12 amps is the most the ffe will draw at 120v. Thats what I needed to know. Thanks.

I have another question. My 240v evse is rated at 16a max. If I got an evse that was rated for 240v At 30a would my car charge at the 27a max and nearly twice as fast as the 16a evse?

Carbuff said:
I have another question. My 240v evse is rated at 16a max. If I got an evse that was rated for 240v At 30a would my car charge at the 27a max and nearly twice as fast as the 16a evse?
Yes. Fwiw, I've seen my FFE actually pull 30A but never more than that.

Carbuff said:

Yes, the FFE has a 6.6kW onboard charger, so if you EVSE can supply 30A (7.2kW) then the car will take the full 6.6kW and charge in almost half the time.

16A@240V = 3.84kW
27.5A@240V = 6.6kW

Maybe Chargepoint is wrong, but it shows that my newly installed home EVSE is pulling 6.98 kW (though it shows 23 miles added in an hour (real time). I thought it peaked at 6.6 kW. I'm running it out of a Nema 6-50 with a 60A breaker.

121gigawatts said:
Maybe Chargepoint is wrong, but it shows that my newly installed home EVSE is pulling 6.98 kW (though it shows 23 miles added in an hour (real time). I thought it peaked at 6.6 kW. I'm running it out of a Nema 6-50 with a 60A breaker.

Its 6.6kW into the battery, there are losses in the EVSE, and the car's internal charger thus it is not uncommon to see rates as high as 7kW.

Back